View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: "svm" Not Viable Assay Reply with quote

SVM stands for (Secure Virtual Machine) and also means "virtualization". The term also is known as AMD Virtualization, abbreviated AMD-V. Wikipedia tells us:
Quote:
The CPU flag for AMD-V is "svm". This may be checked in BSD derivatives via dmesg or sysctl and in Linux via /proc/cpuinfo

Gentoo's QEMU page states

Quote:
BIOS and UEFI firmware

In order to utilize KVM either Vt-x (vmx) or AMD-V (svm) must be supported by the processor. Vt-x or AMD-V are Intel and AMD's respective technologies for permitting multiple operating systems to concurrently execute operations on the processors.

To inspect hardware for virtualization support issue the following command:

user $grep --color -E "vmx|svm" /proc/cpuinfo

I have installed an AMD Ryzen 7950+ on an ASRock X670E motherboard. ASRock's Software/BIOS Setup Guide, X670ESoftware_BIOS Setup Guide_English.pdf, states on page & sheet number 41:

Quote:
SVM Mode
When this is set to [Enabled], a VMM (Virtual Machine Architecture) can utilize the
additional hardware capabilities provided by AMD-V. The default value is [Enabled].
Configuration options: [Enabled] and [Disabled].

When I run the test as to whether my Ryzen processor has virtualization support, I get nothing. The lack of any output suggests the Ryzen processor either does not support virtualization (I do not think anyone truly believes this) or I do not have the BIOS configured correctly. Here is the output of my test showing nothing:

Code:
ryzwork /home/jlpoole # date; grep --color -E "vmx|svm" /proc/cpuinfo
Fri Dec 29 02:27:29 PM PST 2023
ryzwork /home/jlpoole #

I have verified in the ASRock BIOS that SVM is activated, here is a screenshot of the BIOS page.

I have posted in Pastebin the full output of /proc/cpuinfo. There is no references to "svm".

Further note, my dmesg output
Code:
ryzwork /home/jlpoole # date; dmesg -T |grep -i virt
Fri Dec 29 02:48:49 PM PST 2023
[Fri Dec 29 09:32:49 2023] p2m virtual area at (____ptrval____), size is 40000000
[Fri Dec 29 09:32:49 2023] Performance Events: PMU not available due to virtualization, using software events only.
[Fri Dec 29 09:32:49 2023] xen_netfront: Initialising Xen virtual ethernet driver
[Fri Dec 29 09:32:59 2023] amdgpu: Virtual CRAT table created for CPU
[Fri Dec 29 09:32:59 2023] amdgpu: Virtual CRAT table created for GPU
ryzwork /home/jlpoole #

Also my output from sysctl has no reference to "svm" or "virt".

Maybe terms have changed or been renamed? Hopefully the output I am providing may allow someone to discern what the new assay should be in determining whether a system can support KVM.
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this statement at Arch Linux's page re: Xen [boldface added]:

Quote:
If the above command does not produce output, then hardware virtualization support is unavailable and your hardware is unable to run HVM domU (or you are already running the Xen hypervisor).

My output in the prior post was run in a session of Dom0. The bold-faced phrase in the quote above may explain why nothing appeared?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: