Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
NetworkManager not starting. Problems with wifi.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skitches
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: NetworkManager not starting. Problems with wifi. Reply with quote

https://bpa.st/BABQ

Up until a couple days ago my Gentoo install was running fine. I had to enable something in the kernel so I ran make menuconfig. After running it I got:

make: *** No rule to make target 'menuconfig'. Stop.

I'm not sure what I did but I think I may have accidentally deleted my kernel config when trying to fix this. It fixed on reboot but now my NetworkManager is broken.

I've spent the last couple of days trying everything I could find online. I redid the steps of setting up a network with wpa supplicant, reinstall Linux firmware, recompiled my kernel multiple times.

When doing ifconfig -a the network device for my wifi still shows so I am very confused
https://bpa.st/SWMQ

And when doing lsusb my usb wifi card still shows

I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help is greatly appreciated

This is my new /etc/wpa_supplicant file:
https://bpa.st/RYSQ

And my /etc/conf.d/net
https://bpa.st/Y6SA
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you configure your network device through /etc/conf.d/net you do not need NetworkManager to start. If NetworkManager try to start wpa_supplicant and a dhcp client and they are already started via /etc/conf.d/net it will make a conflict.

It would be better to use -Dnl80211,wext in /etc/conf.d/net to allow wpa_supplicant to use both drivers. make menuconfig need ncurses to be installed to show up.
skitches
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
If you configure your network device through /etc/conf.d/net you do not need NetworkManager to start. If NetworkManager try to start wpa_supplicant and a dhcp client and they are already started via /etc/conf.d/net it will make a conflict.

It would be better to use -Dnl80211,wext in /etc/conf.d/net to allow wpa_supplicant to use both drivers. make menuconfig need ncurses to be installed to show up.

I changed my /etc/conf.d/net to:
https://bpa.st/62SA

But NetworkManager is still unfortunately inactive
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to choose between Openrc and NetworkManager to configure your wifi not both. One of the two must be disabled. Advoid conflicts between them.
skitches
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
You have to choose between Openrc and NetworkManager to configure your wifi not both. One of the two must be disabled. Advoid conflicts between them.

I'm sorry I'm a noob when it comes to networking on Gentoo. How would I go about removing openrc networking? Would deleting /etc/conf.d/net be enough?
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skitches,

You have to choose between Netifrc (this was meant by @Logicien when he said OpenRC; but OpenRC is an init system) and NetworkManager:

See more here: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Network_management

Do a "rc-update". You should have only ONE networkmanager in your default runlevel. If you see some entries beginning with net. you are using netifrc. For example this is mine (I am using netifrc):
Code:
           net.enp2s0 |      default

You can/should remove from your runlevel either these or networkmanager with: "rc-update delete XXXX default"
skitches
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
skitches,

You have to choose between Netifrc (this was meant by @Logicien when he said OpenRC; but OpenRC is an init system) and NetworkManager:

See more here: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Network_management

Do a "rc-update". You should have only ONE networkmanager in your default runlevel. If you see some entries beginning with net. you are using netifrc. For example this is mine (I am using netifrc):
Code:
           net.enp2s0 |      default

You can/should remove from your runlevel either these or networkmanager with: "rc-update delete XXXX default"

I'm confused now because looking back on it, I did have netifrc at one time but checking now nothing starts with .net

When doing ifconfig -a none of my devices start with net

and also when doing rc-update add netifrc default I'm getting:
https://bpa.st/UU4A

So it seems like netifrc isn't a service anymore? Either way I'm trying to use NetworkManager now, but could there be another reason why NetworkManager isn't starting.

here's the output of: ls /etc/init.d/
https://bpa.st/M2NQ

the old net. devices shows up here so I definitely did use netirc at one time but now all my devices aren't "net. devices."
Could the old net. devices still being in services be causing the problem?
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skitches,

you can have as many rc-scripts in your /etc/init.d as you like. If you want to have started one of these you must add it to a runlevel (you do this with "rc-update add .."). So you have:
Code:
net.148f:7601
net.sit0
net.w1p35s0f3u2
net.wlp35s0f3u1

but we dont know your output from "rc-update".

sit0 is usually a VPN connection ... so, maybe you have two network problems ? Why do you want Networkmanager ? Maybe it is better to switch to Netifrc (yes, there is no runlevel with this name ... in the link I have given you was also a link to "Netifrc" ... have you read it ?)

Please read also all relevant links into our Wiki starting from that page.
skitches
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
skitches,

you can have as many rc-scripts in your /etc/init.d as you like. If you want to have started one of these you must add it to a runlevel (you do this with "rc-update add .."). So you have:
Code:
net.148f:7601
net.sit0
net.w1p35s0f3u2
net.wlp35s0f3u1

but we dont know your output from "rc-update".

sit0 is usually a VPN connection ... so, maybe you have two network problems ? Why do you want Networkmanager ? Maybe it is better to switch to Netifrc (yes, there is no runlevel with this name ... in the link I have given you was also a link to "Netifrc" ... have you read it ?)

Please read also all relevant links into our Wiki starting from that page.

Well the problem I was having with netifrc was after creating the symlink and running
Code:
rc-service net.w1p35s0f3u4 start

I get:

https://bpa.st/A5CA

Code:
# rc-service net.w1p35s0f3u4 start
 * Bringing up interface w1p35s0f3u4
 *   ERROR: interface w1p35s0f3u4 does not exist
 *   Ensure that you have loaded the correct kernel module for your hardware
 * ERROR: net.w1p35s0f3u4 failed to start

When doing ifconfig -a w1p35s0f3u4 is there
and I double checked my kernel these past couple of days and made sure the drivers for ralink MT7601U were enabled. I also emerged the linux firmware again and nothing fixed it. I was stuck and tried to switch to NetworkManager to fix it.
skitches
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the problem started:

1) I went to terminal and did /usr/src/linux
2) I had to change something with my kernel so I did make menuconfig
3) I got the weird make: *** No rule to make target 'menuconfig'. Stop. error
4) I searched around a bit and at the time it seemed like something was wrong with my kernel config so I deleted a file /usr/src/linux/.config
5) next thing I know I boot up my computer and my display manager isn't starting on boot and I have this weird wifi problem when I didn't have it before
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your wifi name can be retreive by two commands, iwconfig and ip l . In /etc/init.d check the symbolic links who point to net.lo and keep only the links you want to configure via /etc/conf.d/net. You can remove the network interfaces links that you do not want to configure and/or who do not exist according to the ip l command. To disable NetworkManager do

sudo rc-update delete NetworkManager

Do these commands:

ls -al /boot
ls -al /usr/src/linux*
mount

From there you may have more help. If Xorg do not start it may be because of it's configuration and/or the Linux one so, you must identify the precise source of each problem.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skitches wrote:
3) I got the weird make: *** No rule to make target 'menuconfig'. Stop. error
This typically means you unmerged the kernel sources, so make cannot find any targets. To avoid this, only unmerge kernel sources after you have updated to use a newer kernel.
skitches wrote:
4) I searched around a bit and at the time it seemed like something was wrong with my kernel config so I deleted a file /usr/src/linux/.config
This is not the correct explanation, and deleting your kernel configuration may make a subsequent upgrade more difficult. If you have /proc/config.gz or if you previously installed the config alongside the kernel, recovery is relatively straightforward.
skitches wrote:
5) next thing I know I boot up my computer and my display manager isn't starting on boot and I have this weird wifi problem when I didn't have it before
There is no causal relation here. Deleting the .config cannot affect the installed kernel.
skitches
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized after all this time I was trying to start "w1p35s0f3u4" when my network device was really, "wlp35s0f3u4"
The font in this terminal made the 1s and ls look very similar

I made a new symlink for "wlp35s0f3u4" and started the service and things look better but now I'm getting:

Code:
# rc-service net.wlp35s0f3u4 restart
 * Bringing down interface wlp35s0f3u4
 *   Stopping wpa_cli on wlp35s0f3u4 ... [ ok ]
 *   Stopping wpa_supplicant on wlp35s0f3u4 ... [ ok ]
 * Bringing up interface wlp35s0f3u4
 *   Starting wpa_supplicant on wlp35s0f3u4 ...iwconfig: unknown command "Managed"

*   wlp35s0f3u4 does not support the following configuration commands
 *     Managed
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
 [ ok ]
 *   Starting wpa_cli on wlp35s0f3u4 ... [ ok ]
 *   Backgrounding ... ... * WARNING: net.wlp35s0f3u4 has started, but is inactive
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested in the Report thread, I moved post 8808976 about Xorg not starting to a separate thread, as it appears to be unrelated to the wifi problem here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: