Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What desktop environment are you guys using?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nurali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
nurali,

"this location is situated in the Atlantic Ocean" That AI is full of fail.
I would have let it off with the North Sea.

Agreed
This AI is one of counterfeit ChatGPTs(Not sure,it can solve some problems of mine)
SiberianSniper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After being a longtime Fluxbox user (since 2005-ish), I went through some crap in real life and needed to make a few changes (life is much better now). For one of those changes, I switched to bspwm back in the spring. I like it a lot, though I'll probably switch to AwesomeWM when I have a bit more free time to grok the config files and get it sufficiently customized.
apiaio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LXDE with X - for years
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasma/KDE with X. Using the Nvidia drivers in the kernel.
krumpf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using XFCE with X (xfce isn't wayland ready yet). Maybe not as eye-candy as other DE, but simple and functional.
Some days, I'm tempted by LXQT - might try it on my laptop (running on Devuan).
ChrisJumper
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome as DE and just Terminal for everything else. And Wayland with systemd.

Fluxbox as failsafe.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasma/KDE with X. No semantic destop and friends
nurali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiberianSniper wrote:
After being a longtime Fluxbox user (since 2005-ish), I went through some crap in real life and needed to make a few changes (life is much better now). For one of those changes, I switched to bspwm back in the spring. I like it a lot, though I'll probably switch to AwesomeWM when I have a bit more free time to grok the config files and get it sufficiently customized.

Wishing you all the best in your life and work for the beginning
I found that many long time GNU/Linux users are much prefer X rather than Wayland
Do you think it is time to switch it to wayland?
nurali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apiaio wrote:
LXDE with X - for years

May I ask:
What makes you keep using X and lxde when the other DEs and Wayland is rising?
nurali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
Plasma/KDE with X. Using the Nvidia drivers in the kernel.

I sold my laptop that cariies AMD apu and Nvidia graphic card in the same time
I faced many weird problems when I was using that laptop
Now I am using amd's cpu and amd's gpu,stable as old dog(lol....this is a saying in Mandarin,mean working fine without any problem)
I also using X,with DWM
nurali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krumpf wrote:
Using XFCE with X (xfce isn't wayland ready yet). Maybe not as eye-candy as other DE, but simple and functional.
Some days, I'm tempted by LXQT - might try it on my laptop (running on Devuan).

Can I understand this as you do not like or do not want to use wayland?
I tried lxqt once,seems like not very good on high resolution displays(Maybe because I didn't set something right)
nurali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisJumper wrote:
Gnome as DE and just Terminal for everything else. And Wayland with systemd.

Fluxbox as failsafe.

lol....
Finally there is a long time GNU/Linuxer who uses Wayland
I like watching videos of Bisqwit's,George Hotz's,Rene Rebe's... etc. looks very cool and efficient
They all do almost everything in terminal,given my own abilities, I still have to use a mouse,sometimes I find myself like a lost child in terminal.
Perhaps many years later, I will also have half of your abilities hahaha
nurali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
Plasma/KDE with X. No semantic destop and friends

Hmmmmm,does this mean that use kde for just show something up,but mostly finish everything on a terminal emulator?
NeglectedRudderPug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: What desktop environment are you guys using? Reply with quote

nurali wrote:
Hello everyone:
I am here to ask you a (maybe pointless) question
What DE or WM are you using?Running with X or Wayland?

Personally, I've come to prefer KDE with Wayland. It is perhaps a bit bloaty, but it has a few "niceties" that I like. When Gnome 3 originally came out, I switched over to XFCE at that time. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I reluctantly tried KDE.

I gave it a fair trial, as I do all things. On my hardware it feels smooth and has a lot of nice features I enjoy using. For example, I actively use KDE Connect, Kmail, etc. I guess I kind of got used to the KDE ecosystem in that trial, and came to like it. :oops:

But, I have been slowly removing bits of KDE I don't need/use though. :lol:
nurali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: What desktop environment are you guys using? Reply with quote

NeglectedRudderPug wrote:

Personally, I've come to prefer KDE with Wayland. It is perhaps a bit bloaty, but it has a few "niceties" that I like. When Gnome 3 originally came out, I switched over to XFCE at that time. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I reluctantly tried KDE.

I gave it a fair trial, as I do all things. On my hardware it feels smooth and has a lot of nice features I enjoy using. For example, I actively use KDE Connect, Kmail, etc. I guess I kind of got used to the KDE ecosystem in that trial, and came to like it. :oops:

Yes,KDE ecosystem is full of surprices,I like that too
May be I'll try KDE when 6stable be released
I very like the design philosophy of meta packages on Gentoo,there is meta packages on Arch linux but I didn't get it,it seems like just put everything together
But on Gentoo,I can control dependicies (what I want or what I don't want) by changing USE flags
You should try Plasma-meta (If you're not using this),also gives you more clean world set
NeglectedRudderPug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: What desktop environment are you guys using? Reply with quote

nurali wrote:
NeglectedRudderPug wrote:

Yes,KDE ecosystem is full of surprices,I like that too
May be I'll try KDE when 6stable be released
I very like the design philosophy of meta packages on Gentoo,there is meta packages on Arch linux but I didn't get it,it seems like just put everything together
But on Gentoo,I can control dependicies (what I want or what I don't want) by changing USE flags
You should try Plasma-meta (If you're not using this),also gives you more clean world set

In my opinion, you have far more choice/freedom of what to do on your system with Gentoo than Arch.

I love USE flags! Although admittedly, I initially set too many in my make.conf :oops: I did make them alphabetical though. :lol:

I've since moved most of them over into separate package.use files for easier management :oops:

I'm using a plasma system profile. When I first set up my gentoo, I had a nice working sddm login screen, but after logging in I had a black screen with a working cursor. Turns out that when you select a couple of KDE packages, expecting dependencies, you actually only get a couple. So plasma-desktop and such simply hadn't been installed! 8O

I then found out about the plasma-meta package, installed it and low-and-behold I had a working desktop. Luckily that was the only hiccup I ran into :D
lemon426
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !

If there's anything I can contribute, I'd love to. I mainly use XFCE. Recently, I've been using i3. I really like the simplicity of WM. I'm very interested in DWM, but I don't know if I can configure it yet. Maybe one day? Then, is there a real difference with i3, I wonder?
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurali wrote:

I don't see what difference it makes if something is rising in popularity: if popularity measured quality we should all be using Windows.

I still use XFCE on X, and see no reason to change as it works well for me. I have tried many other WMs and DEs and they all feel a bit awkward and counter-intuitive... although this is probably just because I'm so used to XFCE now. I dislike GTK a little more with each update, so have looked several times at QT based desktops, but always wind up coming back to XFCE.

In fact it works so well for me that it will probably be a change in functionality (some annoying move by the developers that tosses what's working well out the window, like the GNOME 2->3 update) pushing me away from XFCE, rather than anything amazing attracting me to some other DE or WM. Everyone seems to be addicted to change, so I guess it's only a matter of time before XFCE does something stupid and becomes unusable... but until then, I'm quite happy with it.
krumpf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurali wrote:
Can I understand this as you do not like or do not want to use wayland?
I tried lxqt once,seems like not very good on high resolution displays(Maybe because I didn't set something right)

I got nothing against wayland. I'm just used to xfce, which for now depends on X server. At some point in the future, xfce will handle wayland and it will be time to switch from X to wayland.
Digression : I feel like many people rush on pipewire because they wanna get rid of pulseaudio bugs. My system is pure alsa, because I had no need for pulseaudio, and therefore no need for pipewire, as my alsa setup suits my needs (even managed to get 5.1 sound work with games in wine \o/ ).
So I do not see any urge for me to switch to a Wayland DE as long as a X DE is enough for what I do with my computer.
apiaio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurali wrote:
apiaio wrote:
LXDE with X - for years

May I ask:

My first Gentoo installation with KDE, in 2005, was endless. Slow computer forced me looking for lightweight DE.
I picked out LXDE. Even though nowadays I have more powerful computer I found that I don't need full-featured DE.
LXDE covers my requirements.
nurali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemon426 wrote:
Hello !

If there's anything I can contribute, I'd love to. I mainly use XFCE. Recently, I've been using i3. I really like the simplicity of WM. I'm very interested in DWM, but I don't know if I can configure it yet. Maybe one day? Then, is there a real difference with i3, I wonder?

Hello :D
I am a DWM user,using it with picom,animation is smooth as Hyprland
If you want a very beautiful dwm then you need to be very proficient in C language,it is written in C and can be configured by modifying config.h header file
And you have to compile it after every change to make it work
And also,you can just use somebody's fork,there are some I kow
DWM for PhyOS(Arch based distro)https://github.com/FT-Labs/pdwm
Mr C's fork of DWMhttps://github.com/yaocccc/dwm;This is the one that I was using(modified by myself also)
And there are more like chadwm .. etc. Youcan easily find them in github
To differences,I don't know,because I never used i3
DWM is worthy recommending
nurali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psycho wrote:
I don't see what difference it makes if something is rising in popularity: if popularity measured quality we should all be using Windows.

I still use XFCE on X, and see no reason to change as it works well for me. I have tried many other WMs and DEs and they all feel a bit awkward and counter-intuitive... although this is probably just because I'm so used to XFCE now. I dislike GTK a little more with each update, so have looked several times at QT based desktops, but always wind up coming back to XFCE.

In fact it works so well for me that it will probably be a change in functionality (some annoying move by the developers that tosses what's working well out the window, like the GNOME 2->3 update) pushing me away from XFCE, rather than anything amazing attracting me to some other DE or WM. Everyone seems to be addicted to change, so I guess it's only a matter of time before XFCE does something stupid and becomes unusable... but until then, I'm quite happy with it.

That makes sense,I have a very good friend in real life who also likes Xfce,he used xfce for years with dark theme
I tried it before,but seems like can not handle hidpi very good(maybe that is my problem)
Maybe you should try LXQt if you did not.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE on both my laptops (Gentoo Linux); LXQt on my family's desktop (Lubuntu); LXQt on my nettop (GeckoLinux/openSUSE).

If I were to install Gentoo Linux again, I would opt for LXQt instead of KDE on my laptops. It's lighter, can run many of the KDE applications, and the Desktop Environment satisfies almost all the functionality I want and need. LXQt looks good and is a decent choice in my opinion.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
nurali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krumpf wrote:

I got nothing against wayland. I'm just used to xfce, which for now depends on X server. At some point in the future, xfce will handle wayland and it will be time to switch from X to wayland.
Digression : I feel like many people rush on pipewire because they wanna get rid of pulseaudio bugs. My system is pure alsa, because I had no need for pulseaudio, and therefore no need for pipewire, as my alsa setup suits my needs (even managed to get 5.1 sound work with games in wine \o/ ).
So I do not see any urge for me to switch to a Wayland DE as long as a X DE is enough for what I do with my computer.

Understood
I really like your attitude towards these things
Maybe I need some "inner peace"
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apiaio wrote:
LXDE with X - for years
+1, more than a decade now.

However other WM installed here, Gnome / Kde / Hyprland/ Labwc / Sway / Wayland / X, mainly for testing purposes.
AFA Wayland is concerned LXQt could be a light way to start with. No real experience to asset such a statement though.

Out of the box ssh -Y for remote launching of X app is currently saving my *** every day.
I haven't find out how to achieve the same in (pure/hybrid) wayland yet.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: