Flickering video playback on Raspberry Pi 4 w/ Mainline
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piman16
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Flickering video playback on Raspberry Pi 4 w/ Mainline Reply with quote

G'day everyone.
I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, please do refer me to the right place if it isn't and I'm sorry in advance.
I'm running Gentoo with Musl and a mainline Linux-libre kernel on a Raspberry Pi 4, the 8GB RAM model.
Everything is working almost flawlessly, almost.
Video playback works rather well on the system, so long as the window in which the video is being played is of the same size as the resolution of the video or smaller. Should the window be larger, weird flickering occurs, as seen in the following video:
https://imgur.com/a/XawXANR
I'll happily post the video someplace else if Imgur is frowned upon here.
Note also that the following error message was also printed:
Code:

DRM_IOCTL_MODE_CREATE_DUMB failed: out of memory
Failed to create scanout resource

I've tried the exact same mainline libre kernel on a fresh install of RpiOS, and had no problems whatsoever.
Note that I've tried all variations of GPU memory allocations in config.txt and they haven't fixed the issue. I game on my Pi as well and the video memory presents no issues.
I've read somewhere that a possible solution is to build mpv and ffmpeg with some raspberry-pi-related USE flags such as "mmal" or "raspberrypi", but none of them are available to me in my profile as for some reason I can't install the "raspberrypi-userland" package. I can elaborate further on that if anyone deems it necessary.
Here is my kernel .config:
https://pastebin.com/ucPkrLLb
Here are my USE flags:
aac acl acpi alsa apparmor -bluetooth -dbus dri ffmpeg flac fluidsynth -gstreamer -gtk hardened jpeg -kde -kerberos -llvm mmal mp3 mp4 -nls offensive openal opengl pie png -policykit -pulseaudio -qt5 -qt6 quicktime raspberry-pi raw readline savedconfig sdl smp socks5 sound static static-libs svg -systemd threads unicode vorbis vulkan -webkit webp -wifi xinerama -zeroconf zlib zstd
And additionaly:
media-video/ffmpeg X bluray codec2 cpudetection frei0r fribidi gmp libass libv4l opencl opus theora truetype v4l vaapi x264 x265 xvid
media-video/mpv bluray cdda dvd tools xv zimg -libcaca libplacebo
Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: