Wine on arm64. Is it possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredolic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Wine on arm64. Is it possible? Reply with quote

Dear all,

I would like to install wine (wine-vanilla) on an arm64 system (Apple Silicon, M1). I have seen this post from 4 years ago, and have tried playing with the USE flags and the "abi_x86_32". But it is still complaining about

Code:

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
  any-of ( abi_x86_32 abi_x86_64 )

Does anybody have any update on whether it is possible to run wine on arm64? Any hint on how I could make it work?

Thank you.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current ebuild is simply not setup for non-x86/amd64 at all, and relies on either or both of these USE being set. If yank the requirement, it would not even run ./configure because it'd think it has nothing to do among other issues. At the very least abi_x86_64 would need to be force-set or replaced, but that won't be the end of it.

May be simpler to just build it directly first than try to force the ebuild, the multiple ways to build it complicate things a lot in the current ebuild (mingw, no mingw, multilib, wow64 without multilib, 32-only, 64-only -- lot of this wouldn't be super relevant for a simple arm64-only build).

Not that I've actually tried wine on arm64 nor have hardware to, so can't really help (if I did maybe I'd look into updating the ebuild given I maintain it, but would still have little personal interest given the limited set of windows applications with arm64 builds and I imagine running these with wine will be even messier than amd64 given it's less tested).
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the first problem is that those windows binaries use different instructions set, so you'd have to start with qemu-user, which - being a full CPU emulation - is just slow.
This said, you _could_ try doing just that.
Build qemu with QEMU_USER_TARGETS="i386 x86_64" and maybe USE="static-user" (shouldn't be required in this case), and enable qemu-binfmt service to register qemu as the interpreter for foreign binaries.

After that... Well I'd try x86 wine first, though the whole thing is getting very messy very quickly and probably won't work either way.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Yeah, the first problem is that those windows binaries use different instructions set
Well, in my reply I've been assuming the idea was to run arm64 windows binaries because yes, windows on arm is a thing, and wine does have support (Edit: that page may be a bit dated though, does not cover the new --enable-archs) -- it's just the ebuild that does not. But you have a lot less interesting things to run given not everyone provides arm64 builds for windows applications.

If actually want to run x86 games or something, that will go very badly :) Simpler applications that don't need to be fast could potentially use qemu as noted though.
fredolic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies.

I see it seems a lot of trouble, with qemu also being involved.

Well, let me start from the beginning and maybe you have more ideas: my goal is to make Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat to work with ARM. No games or something very demanding. Adobe Acrobat because sometimes I have to digitally sign documents. Okular does the trick, mostly, so that is not a MUST. MS Word neither, as LibreOffice mostly does the trick as well. But every once in a while it would be great to have them available, if the trouble was minimal. But as you paint it, it seems too much trouble for something that I can live without.

What do you think?
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use a VM? load with MS Windows that should guarantee you choice of applications work.
fredolic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, VirtualBox is something that I use in an amd64 laptop. But in this case, with an apple silicon this is no more the option. Then, I've inquired and it seems that qemu should be the other candidate, but before trying something as a VM from scratch I was asking whether something that seemed easier (wine) would do the trick?

Any suggestion of VM for the situation? Is qemu the one?
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a VM will be easier than fitting a square peg into a round hole with wine.
Qemu does offer full cpu emulation mode, so yeah, give it a try. Add virt-manager for a convenient interface. And I suggest USE="spice", since it's more convenient than VNC or SDL displays.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run Arm virtual machines on Apple Silicon with VMWare Fusion or UTM. UTM is supposed to also do emulation, but I have not tried it. Both have free versions.
fredolic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thank you then. Qemu it is (it is really the push that I was needing to). Plus virt-manager.

UTM seems qemu based, so I'll go for the qemu anyway. And VMWare Fusion is not free, so for now I think I can manage.

Thank you all.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fusion Player offers a Personal Use License, available for free with a valid CustomerConnect account. Home users, Open Source contributors, students, and anyone else can use Fusion Player Free for Non-Commercial activity.

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/evalcenter?p=fusion-player-personal-13

But, it is only virtualization, not emulation too.
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredolic,

If the only use case for this Windows VM is as stated above, ie. editing .pdf's and interacting with word / ms-office documents generally, I've been able to do that in gentoo for years without a windows install.

In 2013 it was still sometimes painful to do this, but in 2023 it really isn't. If you build libreoffice with the pdfimport flag you can edit quite complex pdf's (in Draw, NOT Writer)

Usually I just use it to fill forms and stamp in a sig for pdf's. With word docs, you can either use google docs or libreoffice writer - the three are just about interchangeable until you get to really complex formatted stuff, again, can't remember the last time I had to really suffer with this in recent times.

Qemu is great, but setting it up for this isn't necessary. Building libreoffice on a low end ARM device is another issue though ;) I'm not sure if the binary has pdfimport activated.

Cheers,
wanne32
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adobe Acrobat is not available for arm64. They recommend you to use VMs on windows anyway. So putting it into qemu seems the right way. – Or just use alternatives. Chromes pdf tool is horribly slow but quite powerful. LO was already mentioned.
HuskyDog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian.au wrote:
fredolic,
If you build libreoffice with the pdfimport flag you can edit quite complex pdf's (in Draw, NOT Writer)

InkScape also works really well for editing PDFs on arm64. I use it all the time for this task.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: