View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeglectedRudderPug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, I do somewhat get it, for a run-of-the-mill simple computer user, it can appear intimidating to be greeted with a "wall of text". Admittedly, not all modern Linux users are "geeks" or "nerds" (think, Steam Deck gamer, who's only Linux experience, is the deck itself) it would be unreasonable for us to expect them to understand the ins and outs of Linux.

So I guess a friendly message of "Something went wrong, we're collecting all your personal data and uploading it to the cloud, please scan the QR and press ctrl-alt-del to reboot. Error message: 0xFF5534: ERR_SOMETHING_WRONG" would be more familiar to them.

Although, I prefer providing more information for someone to learn from and feel it is better, they might learn something new. Knowing how to fix a problem when it occurs is much better than sitting there thinking "Now what?". If we don't push the boundaries of what we know, then we will never advance our knowledge.

- But For the more technical users -

When another (non-gentoo) distro crashes the typical course of action would be to remove quiet and splash from the grub prompt and let the system display the messages (disabling plymouth and un-hiding the output, effectively). My concern now with that new "bsod" (seriously, why blue? why not literally any other colour? :roll:) is if it interrupt the old process of simply removing splash and quiet to expose the output in that instance?

A nicer option however, as it often gets missed in such situations, is to dump and save a nice full log of the boot error and save it as plain text to another medium so that it could be fully inspected, now that I could get behind.

(I should mention that I am not anti-systemd, nor anti-wayland for that matter :oops:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: