Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu,

Can you give me instruction on how to find the bad "Illegal instruction."?

I start gdb like this
Code:
gdb chromium-browser  core
Got following
Code:
GNU gdb (Gentoo 13.2 vanilla) 13.2
Copyright (C) 2023 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<https://bugs.gentoo.org/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
"/usr/bin/chromium-browser": not in executable format: file format not recognized

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.Ub66x3 (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.C6lqlQ (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.4emojp (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.EL9ivE (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.lmYeSp (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.dMYSaY (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.P0uudr (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.jj9XGo (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.mWlU46 (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.3ipmp1 (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.Z3kC9d (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.jPk1wf (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing

warning: Can't open file /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.zpU4A7 (deleted) during file-backed mapping note processing
[New LWP 580]
[New LWP 596]
[New LWP 603]
[New LWP 594]
[New LWP 593]
[New LWP 604]
[New LWP 605]
[New LWP 636]
[New LWP 611]
[New LWP 606]
[New LWP 607]
[New LWP 599]
[New LWP 631]
[New LWP 632]
[New LWP 608]
[New LWP 601]
[New LWP 633]
[New LWP 638]
[New LWP 609]
[New LWP 668]
[New LWP 634]
[New LWP 639]
[New LWP 610]
[New LWP 635]
[New LWP 613]
[New LWP 640]
[New LWP 641]
[New LWP 614]
[New LWP 597]
[New LWP 615]
[New LWP 587]
[New LWP 637]
[New LWP 598]
[New LWP 600]
[New LWP 595]
Core was generated by `chromium-browser --extra-plugin-dir=/usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins'.
--Type <RET> for more, q to quit, c to continue without paging--c
Program terminated with signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
#0  0x0000005561fbd53c in ?? ()
[Current thread is 1 (LWP 580)]
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu,

Never mind I find what I need to get gdb to display
Code:
(gdb) display/i $pc
1: x/i $pc
=> 0x55831ad53c:   aese   v6.16b, v0.16b

And in stackoverflow I found ARM64 AESE instruction create a SIGILL
Quote:
The Rasberry Pi 4 doesn't implement the crypto instruction set extensions, so any attempt to use them will result in an undefined instruction exception.

Thank you very much for your help for pointing out using gdb
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try x/4i $pc at the (gdb) prompt. That requests to examine 4 instructions, starting at the program counter, which is a register alias that should work on all architectures (confirmed to work on amd64, even though the canonical name there is $rip). I think the program counter will be pointed at the instruction that faulted. However, I do not have a broken program here with which to test that.
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Try x/4i $pc at the (gdb) prompt. That requests to examine 4 instructions, starting at the program counter, which is a register alias that should work on all architectures (confirmed to work on amd64, even though the canonical name there is $rip). I think the program counter will be pointed at the instruction that faulted. However, I do not have a broken program here with which to test that.

Thanks for the information.
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apology to all :oops: I took over this thread without much for supporting origin topic.

JumboAg, paluszak

Using Neddy's binhost I tested in docker container with
Code:
emerge -1gka --binpkg-respect-use=n '=chromium-109.0.5414.74-r1'

In 109 version I was able to get the browser window appear on my display, so I think it will for you too. This version appear linked with libaom-3.6.1.

NeddySeagoon,

Thanks your binhost, it provide great help in this journey.

I am stubborn person who find something will just keep on digging until the hole too deep to get out. Luckily this time with everyone help I got myself to surface. :P
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu,

My binhost targets a Pi4 but its actually an Ampere 8180 based system, which is certainly a more capable CPU.
The binaries should execute on any 64 bit Pi to date. That's not tested on a Pi 5 yet.

pingtoo,

I don't know how to give up either :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team,

I've sorted out my Pi 4 test bed and tried to write a universal Pi install Guide as I needed to reinslall.
The hard drive and USB3 to SATA cable were donated to my router, so there was nothing to recover.

Its got as far as trying to build Chromium but its not yet complete.

However, the build log contains

Code:
[6315/57657] aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -MMD -MF obj/third_party/libaom/libaom_intrinsics_neon_dotprod/compound_convolve_neon_dotprod.o.d -DUSE_UDEV -DUSE_AURA=1 -DUSE_GLIB=1 -DUSE_OZONE=1 -DOFFICIAL_BUILD -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -DNO_UNWIND_TABLES -DNDEBUG -DNVALGRIND -DDYNAMIC_ANNOTATIONS_ENABLED=0 -I../.. -Igen -I../../third_party/libaom/source/config -I../../third_party/libaom/source/config/linux/arm64-cpu-detect -I../../third_party/libaom/source/libaom -march=armv8.2-a+dotprod -fno-ident -fno-strict-aliasing -fstack-protector -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fPIC -pipe -pthread -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fvisibility=hidden -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-comments -Wno-packed-not-aligned -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-psabi -std=gnu11 -mcpu=cortex-a72+crc -mtune=cortex-a72 -O2 -pipe -c ../../third_party/libaom/source/libaom/av1/common/arm/compound_convolve_neon_dotprod.c -o obj/third_party/libaom/libaom_intrinsics_neon_dotprod/compound_convolve_neon_dotprod.o
cc1: warning: switch ‘-mcpu=cortex-a72+crc’ conflicts with ‘-march=armv8.2-a+dotprod’ switch

Which is where it failed for everyone else.
On arm64 -mcpu trumps -march.

The top of the build log says
Code:
* Package:    www-client/chromium-119.0.6045.21:0/beta
 * Repository: gentoo
 * Maintainer: chromium@gentoo.org Matt.Jolly@footclan.ninja
 * USE:        X arm64 cups elibc_glibc hangouts kernel_linux l10n_af l10n_am l10n_ar l10n_bg l10n_bn l10n_ca l10n_cs l10n_da l10n_de l10n_el l10n_en-GB l10n_es l10n_es-419 l10n_et l10n_fa l10n_fi l10n_fil l10n_fr l10n_gu l10n_he l10n_hi l10n_hr l10n_hu l10n_id l10n_it l10n_ja l10n_
kn l10n_ko l10n_lt l10n_lv l10n_ml l10n_mr l10n_ms l10n_nb l10n_nl l10n_pl l10n_pt-BR l10n_pt-PT l10n_ro l10n_ru l10n_sk l10n_sl l10n_sr l10n_sv l10n_sw l10n_ta l10n_te l10n_th l10n_tr l10n_uk l10n_ur l10n_vi l10n_zh-CN l10n_zh-TW official proprietary-codecs qt5 system-harfbuzz syst
em-icu system-png system-zstd
 * FEATURES:   network-sandbox preserve-libs sandbox userpriv usersandbox
 * Checking for at least 4 GiB RAM ...

My global settings are ...
Code:
# emerge --info
Portage 3.0.53 (python 3.11.6-final-0, default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop, gcc-13, glibc-2.38-r6, 6.1.58-v8+ aarch64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-6.1.58-v8+-aarch64-with-glibc2.38
KiB Mem:     7997688 total,   1446616 free
KiB Swap:    8388604 total,   8388604 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:00:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 4e06c9143af877c6da56a480adcd5e7b82f047ba
sh bash 5.2_p15-r7
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.41 p2) 2.41.0
app-misc/pax-utils:        1.3.7::gentoo
app-shells/bash:           5.2_p15-r7::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:             5.38.0-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/python:           3.11.6::gentoo, 3.12.0::gentoo
dev-lang/rust-bin:         1.71.1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:            3.27.7::gentoo
dev-util/meson:            1.2.3::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:       2.14::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:           0.51::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:          2.38::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:        2.71-r7::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:        1.16.5-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:        2.40-r5::gentoo, 2.41-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils-config: 5.5::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:             13.2.1_p20231014::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:      2.11::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:         2.4.7-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/llvm:            16.0.6::gentoo, 17.0.3::gentoo
sys-devel/make:            4.4.1-r1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers:  6.5-r1::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:            2.38-r6::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    volatile: False
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 3
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes

Binary Repositories:

Pi4_binhost
    priority: 50
    sync-uri: https://bloodnoc.org/~roy/BINHOSTS/gcc-13.x/armv8a

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="arm64 ~arm64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
CBUILD="aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mcpu=cortex-a72+crc -mtune=cortex-a72 -ftree-vectorize -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-mcpu=cortex-a72+crc -mtune=cortex-a72 -ftree-vectorize -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="CARGO_HOME DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR XDG_STATE_HOME"
FCFLAGS="-mcpu=cortex-a72+crc -mtune=cortex-a72 -ftree-vectorize -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs binpkg-multi-instance buildpkg-live config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox pkgdir-index-trusted preserve-libs protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-mcpu=cortex-a72+crc -mtune=cortex-a72 -ftree-vectorize -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirrors.gethosted.online/gentoo                 http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/distfiles.gentoo.org/                 http://mirrors.soeasyto.com/distfiles.gentoo.org/                 http://mirror.leaseweb.com/gentoo/                 http://gentoo.mirrors.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/                 http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo                 https://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/distfiles.gentoo.org/                 http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/gentoo/                  http://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/download/gentoo-mirror/                  http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/gentoo/"
LANG="C.UTF8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LEX="flex"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/var/cache/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
SHELL="/bin/bash"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa arm64 bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli crypt cups dbus dri dts dvdr elogind encode exif flac fortran gdbm gif gpm gtk gtk3 gui iconv icu inspector ipv6 jpeg lcms libnotify libtirpc mad minizip mng mp3 mp4 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds qt5 readline sdl seccomp sound spell split-usr ssl startup-notification svg test-rust tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis vulkan wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xft xml xv xvid zlib" ADA_TARGET="gnat_2021" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_ARM="edsp vfp vfpv3 vfpv4 vfp-d32 crc32 v8" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev libinput synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-1" LUA_TARGETS="lua5-1" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php8-1" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres15" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_11" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_11" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby31" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev v3d vc4" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq proto steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  ADDR2LINE, AR, ARFLAGS, AS, ASFLAGS, CC, CCLD, CONFIG_SHELL, CPP, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, CXXFILT, ELFEDIT, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, EXTRA_ECONF, F77FLAGS, FC, GCOV, GPROF, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LD, LFLAGS, LIBTOOL, LINGUAS, MAKE, MAKEFLAGS, NM, OBJCOPY, OBJDUMP, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, RANLIB, READELF, RUSTFLAGS, SIZE, STRINGS, STRIP, YACC, YFLAGS

Code:
CFLAGS="-mcpu=cortex-a72+crc -mtune=cortex-a72 -ftree-vectorize -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Notice my CFLAGS, which date from before -march=native was implemented for arm64. My BINHOST uses the same settings as its not a -mcpu=cortex-a72+crc CPU.

For the terminally curious, the build log so far is at http://0x0.st/HJUu.log

I suspect the
Code:
cc1: warning: switch ‘-mcpu=cortex-a72+crc’ conflicts with ‘-march=armv8.2-a+dotprod’ switch
is significant.
The autodetect of armv8.2-a+dotprod is certainly incorrect.

man gcc:
       -march=name
           Specify the name of the target architecture and, optionally, one or more feature modifiers.  This option has the form -march=arch{+[no]feature}*.

The table below summarizes the permissible values for arch and the features that they enable by default:

arch value : Architecture : Includes by default
           armv8-a : Armv8-A : +fp, +simd
           armv8.1-a : Armv8.1-A : armv8-a, +crc, +lse, +rdma
           armv8.2-a : Armv8.2-A : armv8.1-a

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
[6175/57657] aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -MMD -MF obj/third_party/libaom/libaom_intrinsics_arm_crc32/hash_arm_crc32.o.d -DUSE_UDEV -DUSE_AURA=1 -DUSE_GLIB=1 -DUSE_OZONE=1 -DOFFICIAL_BUILD -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -DNO_UNWIND_TABLES -DNDEBUG -DNVALGRIND -DDYNAMIC_ANNOTATIONS_ENABLED=0 -I../.. -Igen -I../../third_party/libaom/source/config -I../../third_party/libaom/source/config/linux/arm64-cpu-detect -I../../third_party/libaom/source/libaom -march=armv8-a+crc -fno-ident -fno-strict-aliasing -fstack-protector -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fPIC -pipe -pthread -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fvisibility=hidden -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-comments -Wno-packed-not-aligned -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-psabi -std=gnu11 -mcpu=cortex-a72+crc -mtune=cortex-a72 -O2 -pipe -c ../../third_party/libaom/source/libaom/av1/encoder/arm/crc32/hash_arm_crc32.c -o obj/third_party/libaom/libaom_intrinsics_arm_crc32/hash_arm_crc32.o

I agree that -mcpu=... made some difference, At lease the libaom detection changed to no longer use -march=armv8.2-a+dotprod So I think this is a good sign.

However last time in my test when ever the "Illegal instruction" it came from
pingtoo wrote:
Code:
(gdb) display/i $pc
1: x/i $pc
=> 0x55831ad53c:   aese   v6.16b, v0.16b

And in stackoverflow I found ARM64 AESE instruction create a SIGILL
Quote:
The Rasberry Pi 4 doesn't implement the crypto instruction set extensions, so any attempt to use them will result in an undefined instruction exception

Also, last time the 119 binary was linked against glibc-2.38 which is still ~arm64.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After about 9 hours its at [16653/57657] and there are three similar sized chunks to build, so its going to be several days yet.

Code:
1698064917:  >>> emerge (22 of 22) www-client/chromium-119.0.6045.21 to /

It started at
Code:
 date --date='@1698064917'
Mon 23 Oct 13:41:57 BST 2023

-- edit --

At 8:40 PM BST, Wed 25-Oct, its at [49612/57657] with 600M in swap. Running at 1.5GHz and just over 60 deg C.

-- edit --

5PM 27-Oct-23

It built for me ... eventually

Code:
# genlop -t chromium
ERROR: Date::Manip unable to determine Time Zone.  GMT will be used. at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.38/Date/Manip/DM6.pm line 65.
ERROR: Date::Manip unable to determine Time Zone.  GMT will be used. at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.38/Date/Manip/DM6.pm line 68.
 * www-client/chromium

Thu Oct 26 23:08:54 2023 >>> www-client/chromium-119.0.6045.21
       merge time: 3 days, 10 hours, 26 minutes and 57 seconds.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: