weird openfortivpn issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: weird openfortivpn issue Reply with quote

I have two computers: machine 1 (laptop) and machine 2 (desktop).

Both are running gentoo.
Both have the same version of openfortivpn
Both have the same version of ppp
Both have the same version of ssh
AFAIK, all relevant config files are the same (/etc/ppp/options and /etc/openfortivpn/config).

I need this vpn to ssh to computers. The trouble is that it works from machine 1 but not from machine 2. The output in machine 2 is not useful. openfortvpn -v says the tunnel is up and running. the trouble is that ssh is never able to talk to the relevant computers.

Here are the differences that I can see with the computers.

1) While both are running modern kernels, the one that works is running gentoo-kernel-bin, while the one that doesn't is running gentoo-sources.
2) The one that works is connecting to the internet via wifi. The one that doesn't is wired.
3) ssh definitely works on the machine that's having trouble (I am able to ssh from machine 2 to machine 1).

Annoying. Any help would be appreciated.
mvaterlaus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi juniper,
do you use the same username / login for both machines? Do you use them at the same time? Do you have the same IP Address assigned on both machines?

We do also use Forti SSL VPN in our company. The VPN is very restricted, so with my IP i can only connect to my workstation at work. So it could be a firewalling issue.

Greetings
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you start with the standard network diagnostics:
  • For each machine, what happens when you ping a peer on the far side of the VPN?
  • When you try to connect to the sshd on the far side of the VPN, exactly what is the failure mode? Timeout? Connection refused immediately via TCP RST? TCP handshake completes, but no data is transferred?
  • When the bad client tries to connect, what does the server see? Does the TCP SYN reach the server? Does the server sshd know you tried, and log that you failed?
  • For each machine, can you get any non-ssh TCP service from the remote end, such as reading a status page from an http server?
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I suggest you start with the standard network diagnostics:
  • For each machine, what happens when you ping a peer on the far side of the VPN?
  • When you try to connect to the sshd on the far side of the VPN, exactly what is the failure mode? Timeout? Connection refused immediately via TCP RST? TCP handshake completes, but no data is transferred?
  • When the bad client tries to connect, what does the server see? Does the TCP SYN reach the server? Does the server sshd know you tried, and log that you failed?
  • For each machine, can you get any non-ssh TCP service from the remote end, such as reading a status page from an http server?

I will answer each in turn.

1)

ping:

10 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 9110ms

This happens with anything I try to ping at the hosts side.

2)

ssh -vvv:

debug3: ssh_connect_direct: entering
debug1: Connecting to <hostname at address> port 22.
debug3: set_sock_tos: set socket 3 IP_TOS 0x48

it just gets stuck there and times out.

3) and 4) basically, everything on the server side gets blocked. it's a university. I can't access any of the university's website, even the ones I don't need a vpn to access. Everything is blocked.

However, it appears all other websites work else works.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your responses suggest to me that no traffic traverses the remote VPN gateway. The remaining question then would be whether the traffic arrives at the remote VPN gateway, and is dropped there, or never arrives at all. Have you confirmed that the bad client machine sends traffic over the VPN interface to the remote gateway? Have you checked the remote VPN gateway's firewall configuration for whether it allows the traffic?
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I never resolved this problem.

again, two machines with identical setups for openfortivpn.

I didn't see a question above.

@mvaterlaus: yes, I use the same username on both machines. Because of your question, I created a new user on the machine that's not working and tried to login with that user. No dice. Also I can't use openfortivpn twice from two separate computers. The host will disconnect the one that connected first. Anyway, that isn't the problem because the one that won't connect won't connect even if it is the only one trying to connect.

@Hu: I am not sure how to check this because I don't have root privileges on the host machine. However, it is a linux machine. But your question suggests maybe you misunderstood me. One of my machines can connect just fine. So I don't think it is a problem on the host end (or, more precisely, the problem isn't that no machine can connect. It may be discriminating between machines).

One other piece of data: I was thinking that difference 2) above (one is on wifi while the other is wired) might be the critical difference. no dice. I changed the setting on the machine that works to use a wired connections and it still works.
mvaterlaus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you start openfortivpn? Can you start it manually, with verbose output enabled?

Code:
openfortivpn -v -c /path/to/you/config

Maybe you find something in verbose output that will help you identify the problem.

Also, if your organisation uses a self singed certificate, you have to add the fingerprint to your config file, otherwise you have to acknowledge it every time you try to connect. If you use an init script, you wont see the message for acknowledging the fingerprint.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
@Hu: I am not sure how to check this because I don't have root privileges on the host machine. However, it is a linux machine. But your question suggests maybe you misunderstood me. One of my machines can connect just fine. So I don't think it is a problem on the host end (or, more precisely, the problem isn't that no machine can connect. It may be discriminating between machines).
Right, I understood that one works and one fails. However, I have dealt with enough cases where two clients are "the same" and yet exhibit different results that I do not trust that the server is actually treating them the same. It is unfortunate that you lack root on the server. Can you get someone who has root there to obtain the requested debug data?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: