Lost browser sound - had installed firewire card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:01 am    Post subject: Lost browser sound - had installed firewire card Reply with quote

So I am running KDE ~amd64 and had been using strictly Alsa before the news item about Plasma Profile to Enable Pipewire in May. I went ahead and did that so pipewire is now involved in my sound system and has been working just fine since May. Is is a Non-systemD system.

So I did a few updates mostly on KDE but probably some system files before I restarted the computer. I had just logged out and back in again to get the KDE updates. So not sure my problem isn't a result of something an update did.

Or if it is because I just installed an older Firewire card. I updated the kernel to be able to use the card.. basically just enabling firewire. When I restarted is when I noticed my browsers (FireFox and Google Chrome) do not have sound. I also noticed that my network shares were not mounted, and my network card was not working. (so maybe this post should be in the portage forum). To get the network working again I had to add NetworkManager to rc-update as it wasn't there before then, but had been working fine up until the reboot. It now works fine after a reboot. To get the network shares working I issue the mount -a command and they then are mounted. But they don't automatically mount after a reboot, despite no problem with that before.

I do have sound when running a media player.

The obvious thing I should do is uninstall that card.. but then I have to open up the pc case and all.. just wondering if there is some other things to try before doing that. The firewire card is a temporary thing.. just trying to record some tapes to disk, using a Canopus ADVC before tossing them. That is working fine. But maybe there was something I missed in a system update..? so wondering what I should do to look around the system.. I did take a look at dmesg and /var/log/messages and didn't really notice anything.

cheers, JD
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took out the firewire card (perhaps a no-name card.. says "Rosewill Q.C. passed" on a sticker- bought long ago) and things returned to normal.. network shares would mount from the fstab file automatically on reboot.. both browsers have sound again.. So I guess I'll just make sure I do my recording in batches.. put the card in - recordings.. take the card out. Weird behavior.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunky,

By default alsa uses card 0 device 0.
Sound cards are enumerated in the order they are discovered by the kernel.

If you want to use other cards or devices, it sounds like you do, you need an asound.conf to tell alsa about it.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: