any chance of increasing the font size?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: any chance of increasing the font size? Reply with quote

Until new server migration happens ... any chance of increasing the font size by 2 points or something ?
The current font is REALLY tiny and I have to zoom 200% in order to read the text without pain.

pjp edit: To promote finding the information more easily, split from Any progress migrating the forum to a modern phpBB server?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you compile your browser? I ask because I do, and I have a similar issue. With Firefox, I have to zoom in ~20% to equal the default 100% zoom for librewolf-bin. A single zoom step zoom with vivaldi-bin is larger than the default of librewolf (I presume the single step is 10%, but I don't see an indicator).
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, librewolf.
I didn't exaggerate btw, I really zoom to 200%, although 133% is enough.
Problem with librewolf is that it doesn't remember this so i have to do this every time I visit this site, and it's the only one I'm having this problem with.
krumpf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Main Man wrote:
Until new server migration happens ... any chance of increasing the font size by 2 points or something ?
The current font is REALLY tiny and I have to zoom 200% in order to read the text without pain.

Thanks to this thread, I managed to customize the font color for code tags. Maybe it will give you a hint on how to force bigger font size for gentoo forums.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@The Main Man,

I believe you. With Firefox, I typically use 133% to 150%. My main point was, I think it's a browser issue. I had to manually change Firefox settings somewhere to make it's own text usable. I believe ~/.mozilla/firefox/<your profile directory>/chrome/userChrome.css

By the way, I did check the phpbb UI and didn't see any options to change the font. I believe it would require a code change. I have no idea how isolated that change would be.

@krumpf:

At least in some instances, it isn't solely a problem with fonts of websites. As I mentioned above, the UI for Firefox itself was unusable. But that may not be The Main Man's issue.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
By the way, I did check the phpbb UI and didn't see any options to change the font. I believe it would require a code change. I have no idea how isolated that change would be.

Thanks for trying.

I might try playing with css profile.
rab0171610
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an option in Firefox to override the font settings. I do not know if it would affect this sites font rendering.
In Settings>General (or type about:preferences#general in address bar) under fonts, you can change preferred font size and type. Then click Advanced, uncheck "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of your selections above" and click OK. Whether Librewolf also has this option I do not know.
Obviously, this will affect all sites and may not be preferable to a site specific CSS solution.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand firefox and font sizes. I use a web site for my old school's past members. For ages I complained to the admin that the fonts were tiny. Then I discovered I'd used Ctrl-Minus to shrink the font by a lot of percent some time in the past, and firefox had remembered. Hitting Ctrl-0 reset it. I sent the admin a grovelling apology. (I did the same on the Gentoo forums some time back, trying to read a very long line that didn't get wrapped. Took me a while to realise what I'd done wrong.)
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Firefox feature worked until several years ago, last version it worked was 54 I believe.
Since then, you can still zoom with Ctrl-+, but the Firefox will not remember that, not even in the same session, you open some forum post in a new tab or refresh a page and it's default again.
rab0171610
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I have the zoom + - on my toolbar. Every site has a different zoom level and it stays that way unless I reset it. Every time I open this forum it is 123%, which is remembered session to session and when opening in new tabs. This level correctly corresponds to changes made by keyboard with Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- as well.
(Apparently some privacy settings can disrupt this, clearing site preferences on exit, browser.zoom.siteSpecific being set to false, privacy.resistFingerprinting being set to true, and persistent private browsing mode, etc.)
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best solution for everyone would be to increase the font size at the source (forum site) , but that's not an easy task it seems.
It is what it is.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. It looks just fine on my laptop.
I do zoom it in on my desktop, but I blame it on my 4k display being fairly small for a 4k display (and also it's further away from my face). I zoom in by 20% on pretty much all websites with that setup. "Fixing" the forum would only make it inconsistent.
rab0171610
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree szatox. There are too many variables to know how the font will look on the user end (desktop environment, font DPI, scaling, font overrides, browser choice, etc.) I use an 89" screen and sit 14 feet away most of the time. The perfect font size for one might be too large for another. Firefox allows zooming and font overrides. X and Wayland both allow for scaling to varying degrees.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thing called "responsive design", no matter the display you're using, you will get the proper sizing.
That's a standard now.
Using a 20+ years old software isn't very productive, unless you love the pain :)
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you respond to display's DPI and user's distance?
How do you respond to user's sight impairment?
How do you respond to user's mood?

Responsive design is great for accommodating displays of different resolutions, it does not replace Ctrl+[+].
Also, this forum behaves well enough for zooming not to be a problem. The rectangles do change shape slightly, but they are still rectangles, they are positioned in places I expect to find them, nothing flies off the screen...
Can you name something that is actually wrong with this 20+ years old software? Being 20+ and boring is not wrong. I just don't feel your pain.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, it doesn't matter, I asked politely if the font size could be changed on the server, I got the answer.
It's okay, problem is on my side and I guess very small percentage of users have that problem.
I apologize, I know I was maybe too harsh and that the question was a heresy basically, I will not discuss this any further.
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Firefox and I have set 200% zoom for forums.gentoo.org domain.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with 150%. :o

There is https://forums.gentoo.org/templates/gentoo/gentoo.css to adjust font-size of the forums. I have updated it to this one https://pastebin.com/r2bU2pqe . Update the font-size settings to your liking.

edit Oh, right, the userContent.css is site specific. I forgot. Then just add the pastebin there. heh.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Main Man,

If you don't ask, you won't get.
It was a perfectly legitimate question.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an example of a userContent.css > https://pastebin.com/6Ka9pQMY --- It is not final, but easy to tweak. :o
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geki wrote:
Here is an example of a userContent.css > https://pastebin.com/6Ka9pQMY --- It is not final, but easy to tweak. :o

Great stuff, few problems though, I tried to convert that to Ublock origin -> My filters
I think I got it right, but it seems like not everything was enlarged, main thing I care about is the body of the message, code and quotes seems to be working but not the main body of the message.

Here's how it looks in my case image link

Code:

forums.gentoo.org##th th.thHead td.catHead:style(font-size: 1.5rem !important;)
forums.gentoo.org##.maintitle h1 h2:style(font-size: 3rem !important;)
forums.gentoo.org##.gen:style(font-size: 2rem !important;)
forums.gentoo.org##.genmed .postdetails .createdetails .postbody .code .quote .copyright input.button:style(font-size: 1.1rem !important;)
forums.gentoo.org##.gensmall:style(font-size: 1rem !important;)
forums.gentoo.org##.mainmenu .cattitle .nav:style(font-size: 1.5rem !important;)
forums.gentoo.org##.forumlink .topictitle .name:style(font-size: 1.2rem !important;)
forums.gentoo.org##.searchlink .menu:style(font-size: 0.75em !important;)
forums.gentoo.org##.forumline td .code:style(background-color: lightyellow !important;)
forums.gentoo.org##.forumline img:style(transform: scale(1.2, 1.2);)
forums.gentoo.org##.forumline a > img:style(transform: scale(1, 1.5);)
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated my css here --> https://pastebin.com/pt7N5kWG

.postbody would be for the message I think. :) Already half asleep. Just check my css and adapt to your liking.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a .postbody :)
textarea.post is also of no effect, I guess that one is when I type a new message :?:
It's a matter of finding correct CSS tags now, almost there :)
Maybe it's uBlock thing though, but i doubt, anyway I would prefer that option rather than messing with firefox profile.

When I type a reply here's how it looks.

I'll play with it when I can and will post a solution when I find it (using uBlock), suggestions are welcome.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it is a .postbody, for some reason it didn't work in a combination with some other elements.

Anyway, this is final for me, simple and effective, I liked your coloring thing for the code part so I've included that one as well.
This suit my needs, only topic titles are enlarged and message bodies.
No need for zooming.

uBlock Origin -> Preferences -> My filter
Enter this and apply :
Code:
forums.gentoo.org##.postbody:style(font-size: 1.2rem !important;)
forums.gentoo.org##.topictitle:style(font-size: 1.1rem !important;)
forums.gentoo.org##.forumline td .code:style(background-color: lightyellow !important;)
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about Firefox not remembering the zoom setting. It still does for me on multiple high DP displays on multiple OS'es, all current esr versions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: