Gentoo Installer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leahh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Installer Reply with quote

Hey all, My first post here.
Sorry if this has already been asked a million times, I wasn't able to find any results for this.

So, I love gentoo. I like it's concept, and it's minimalism. It's something I've grown to like over the past week of messing around with gentoo. But I've grown kind of tired of installing gentoo (due to the multiple of machines and VMs that have died on me in the past week, it's insane), Does there exist a script that installs gentoo with either a minimal preset, or a pre-defined preset (a kind of template)?
Something similar to Arch's "ArchInstall" command, but for gentoo...

I did find this ( https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Installer ), But that doesn't seem to be a part of the AMD64 minimal install CD.

Thanks in advance, Me.
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo,

try this on VMs first https://github.com/oddlama/gentoo-install

8)
leahh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CooSee wrote:
Welcome to Gentoo,

try this on VMs first https://github.com/oddlama/gentoo-install

8)

That looks like a pretty easy solution, By the looks of it that is exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks alot!
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Leahh. Let me add my welcome to the Gentoo community...and also some words of caution and advice. Installing Gentoo is the least important part of the Gentoo experience. True story: the first machine I installed Gentoo on—in the year 2005 (!)—is still running today, having only been reinstalled once in all that time (a little more explanation is here and here).

That said, running through the manual install will help you learn and practice the skills needed to maintain a Gentoo installation. A botched and/or incomplete install can almost always more fruitfully be restarted when compared to ground zeroing your machine and starting over. If you get stuck, just ask here. There are a lot of people here that are happy to help.

Good luck!

- John
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahh,

Welcome to Gentoo.

For VMs, I keep a minimal VM that I update when I need a new a new VM, then clone it and do whatever is required.
Enlarge on add storage, add packages ... whatever.

A long time ago what I ran a SETI farm for the original SETI@Home, I wrote an installer script in two parts.
Outside the chroot and inside the chroot. That was are lot of almost identical installs, that did nothing other than run SETI@Home.

General purpose installers have come and gone over the years as they quickly grow arms and legs.
Someone always wants something that they don't do. Then, its uncommon to reinstall Gentoo as you would a binary distro.

My original install is alive and well, just over 20 years on. The hardware is long gone but it lives in a VM.

leahh wrote:
... due to the multiple of machines and VMs that have died on me in the past week ...

That sounds like a case of lack of backups.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: