View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fulgurance
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Actual state of writing in japanese with Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi, from a while I am facing a problem. I would like to write in Japanese with Gentoo and Plasma, but actually, mozc have completely outdated dependencies (not available anymore: dev-cpp/abseil-cpp-20220623.1), and anthy isn't recommended actually, very old as well)

Is there any alternative ?

Ingenius Software Manager is a tool to build and manage a Linux system from scratch.
It will able to manage a linux installation just with a given path to the futur root path
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use since many years Xfce4 Desktop.

From mt world file:
Code:
app-dicts/kasumi
app-i18n/ibus
app-i18n/ibus-anthy
media-fonts/font-jis-misc
media-fonts/font-sony-misc
media-fonts/intlfonts
media-fonts/ipaex
media-fonts/ipamonafont
media-fonts/ja-ipafonts
media-fonts/kochi-substitute
media-fonts/koruri
media-fonts/liberation-fonts
media-fonts/mikachan-font-otf
media-fonts/mikachan-font-ttc
media-fonts/mikachan-font-ttf
media-fonts/sazanami
media-fonts/vlgothic

This results in a small icon on the taskbar that allows me to switch between English and Japanese input.
Don't know if this works with Plasma.
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at bug 843227 to bump mozc and merged the patches there with some fixups.
silu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the frustration of dealing with outdated dependencies while trying to write in Japanese with Gentoo and Plasma. It can be quite a hurdle in your project. A while back, I faced a similar situation with a different project.

I reached out to the Gentoo community for assistance. They were incredibly helpful and suggested exploring alternative input methods. One option that worked well for me was "ibus," an input method framework that was more up-to-date.

I'd recommend giving "ibus" a try, as it might provide a smoother experience for your Japanese writing needs. Just like when I needed to learn how to pronounce dates in different languages for my internationalization efforts, finding the right tool can greatly improve the overall experience of your project.

Last edited by silu on Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
LiamOS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcitx from the gentoo-zh overlay has been great for me on gnome 3. Don't miss using mozc.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibus+mozc used to work in KDE/wayland for me, but now its broken... :(

Normally what I would do when I want to use it is open the ibus preferences and it would start the daemon, and it would work as long as I didn't play with the tray icon too much (the alignment was all screwed up, and I had to almost click an adjacent tray icon to get the menu to open).

Today I opened the preferences and got a popup saying:

Quote:
IBus should be called from the desktop session in Wayland. For KDE, you can launch 'systemsettings5' utility and go to "Input Devices" -> "Virtual Keyboard" section and select "IBus Wayland" icon and click "Apply" button to configure IBus in Wayland. For other desktop sessions, you can copy the 'Exec=' line in org.freedesktop.IBus.Panel.Wayland.Gtk3.desktop file to a configuration file of the session. Please refer each document about the "Wayland input method" configuration. Before you configure the "Wayland input method", you should make sure that QT_IM_MODULE and GTK_IM_MODULE environment variables are unset in the desktop session.

So I tried that, and I also got another popup from im-chooser saying:

Quote:
Giving up to bring the process up because main Input Method process for IBus rapidly died many times. See $XDG_CACHE_HOME/imsettings/log for more details.

Sadly, all that tells me is...

Quote:
[ 1707173033.272642]: IMSettings-Daemon[14701]: WARNING **: main Input Method process for IBus died with the status 255, but unexpectedly. restarting...
[ 1707173033.272690]: IMSettings-Daemon[14701]: INFO: Starting the main process for IBus [lang:en_CA.utf8]
[ 1707173033.273453]: IMSettings-Daemon[14701]: INFO: Started IBus: [process: /usr/bin/ibus-daemon --xim, lang: en_CA.utf8, pid: 17523, id: 18, time: 2024-02-05T22:43:53.273439Z
[ 1707173033.276844]: IBus[17523]: current session already has an ibus-daemon.

[ 1707173033.277315]: IMSettings-Daemon[14701]: CRITICAL **: Giving up to bring the process up because main Input Method process for IBus rapidly died many times. See $XDG_CACHE_HOME/imsettings/log for more details.

Which is true, it looks like kwin-wayland launches it through /usr/share/applications/org.freedesktop.IBus.Panel.Wayland.Gtk3.desktop...

I guess I'm going to rip out ibus for now and pick this back up again later, maybe I'll try fcitx... /shrug

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5ace wrote:

From mt world file:
Code:
app-i18n/ibus-anthy

You don't need that in world, I just emerged kasumi (not any of the fonts) to test and it is pulled in.

Quote:
This results in a small icon on the taskbar that allows me to switch between English and Japanese input.

It doesn't, at least not without logging out/in. However if you run kasumi from konsole you can just pin it.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
C5ace wrote:

From mt world file:
Code:
app-i18n/ibus-anthy

You don't need that in world, I just emerged kasumi (not any of the fonts) to test and it is pulled in.

Quote:

It doesn't, at least not without logging out/in. However if you run kasumi from konsole you can just pin it.

I did the installation about 7 years ago. Things may have changed in the meantime.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: