View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chubbypiper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:50 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]graphical-session.target not starting with gdm/bspwm Reply with quote

There are certain applications that I use that within the last few weeks seem to take a long time to open. This includes opening a new application (eg. pavucontrol, easyeffects), or opening a new window in an already open app (eg. composing an email in evolution). I am currently using GDM and bspwm. I have seen these in journald whenever this happens:

Code:

May 23 22:06:20 myhost systemd[1877]: Starting xdg-desktop-portal.service...
May 23 22:06:20 myhost systemd[1877]: graphical-session.target is inactive.
May 23 22:06:20 myhost systemd[1877]: Dependency failed for xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.service.
May 23 22:06:20 myhost systemd[1877]: xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.service: Job xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
May 23 22:06:45 myhost xdg-desktop-por[140605]: Failed to load RealtimeKit property: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1 was not provided by any .service files
May 23 22:06:45 myhost xdg-desktop-por[140605]: Failed to load RealtimeKit property: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1 was not provided by any .service files

Usually at this point the window opens, but I do see these a bit later:

Code:

May 23 22:07:10 myhost xdg-desktop-por[140605]: Failed to create settings proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.gnome: Timeout was reached
May 23 22:07:50 myhost systemd[1877]: xdg-desktop-portal.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
May 23 22:07:50 myhost systemd[1877]: xdg-desktop-portal.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
May 23 22:07:50 myhost systemd[1877]: Failed to start xdg-desktop-portal.service.

These log entries started after I did a system update 2023/05/05. There was quite a few packages updated on that date, but I do see that GDM along with a bunch of other gnome stuff was updated. Thinking maybe it was GDM that was the issue, I tried it with SDDM, but the result was the same. However, when I logged into a KDE wayland instead things worked as expected. Thinking maybe this was an X vs Wayland issue, I tried installing sway, but the issue with slow loading windows came back.

In KDE/Plasma, I do see that graphical-session.target is started, but that is not the case in bspwm/sway.

I cannot start graphical-session.target on my own, it can only be started as a dependency, which seemingly xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.service is trying to do, but unsuccessfully.

Last edited by chubbypiper on Wed May 24, 2023 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
chubbypiper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it turns out the culprit was xdg-desktop-portal-gnome. The key line in my logs was "xdg-desktop-por[3100]: Failed to create settings proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.gnome: Timeout was reached" That lead me to this post: https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal/issues/986. Apparently the update to gnome 44 broke that.

I switched to SDDM so I can uninstall GDM (only thing depending on xdg-desktop-portal-gnome, which was also uninstalled), and now things are working as expected. It would seem that there's a workout to switch to dbus-broker, but I went for the scorched earth option.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: