View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r7l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Gnome Keyring lost GPG support after update Reply with quote

Hello,

after a recent update, i've lost GPG support in Gnome Keyring. There was a minor update of gnome-keyring but it was only from gnome-keyring-42.1-r1 to gnome-keyring-42.1-r2. The keys are still there and i can see them with Seahorse but i need to enter a password every time i want to use those keys. It was working without this password popup before.

After some digging i've noted that the environment variable "GPG_AGENT_INFO" is missing now. I have another system where i haven't done the updates yet and the variable is set there and everything is working as expected. Anyone knows where this variable is set in Gentoo? I am currently assuming this might be the cause.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by r7l on Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have USE=gnome-keyring set on sys-auth/pambase?
r7l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i have. This hasn't changed and sys-auth/pambase hasn't been updated or reinstalled for almost a year.

When doing a grep over /etc/pam.d i can see this:

Code:
/etc/pam.d/gdm-autologin:auth        optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so
/etc/pam.d/gdm-autologin:session     optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
/etc/pam.d/gdm-fingerprint:auth        optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so
/etc/pam.d/gdm-fingerprint:session     optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
/etc/pam.d/gdm-password:auth     optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
/etc/pam.d/gdm-password:password optional pam_gnome_keyring.so use_authtok
/etc/pam.d/gdm-password:session  optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
/etc/pam.d/gdm-smartcard:auth        optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so
/etc/pam.d/gdm-smartcard:session     optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
/etc/pam.d/passwd:password   optional   pam_gnome_keyring.so use_authtok

This is identical on both of my systems.

I also have identical /etc/gnupg/gpg-agent.conf files on both systems. They only contain the default:

Code:
default-cache-ttl 600

Other then that there is no additional configuration in ~/.gnupg

Both systems are mostly identical as one is my stationary desktop while the other one is my laptop.
r7l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation resolved itself. There were a couple changes with new keyring USE flags recently and i've updated them accordingly. It does work as before again.
sunox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please describe what you did to get it working again? I believe I am facing the same problem. In trying to find a solution I noticed the new 'keyring' use flag for pinentry which I have enabled.
r7l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done much except for setting USE flags accordingly / selectively where i need it. There are still packages using gnome-keyring while others have keyring. Like sys-auth/pambase which still has gnome-keyring and app-crypt/pinentry only has keyring. I am not even sure if both always meant to be for the same thing.

Other then that i have not changed much. No local gnupg settings apart from defaults in /etc/gnupg. But i have to admit that it's still not working perfectly. I always have to manually trigger SSH keys once after boot. I am not able to login with scripts (like Ansible) right away to run stuff remotely without spinning up a terminal and SSH somewhere first. After that, it works as expected for the rest of the session and doesn't even matter if it would be a different SSH key for different hosts. All of them work once i've used one of them.
sunox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

I added the 'keyring' USE for qtkeychain which seems to enable Nextcloud to make use of the keyring. It seems that gpg is able to make use of the keyring now without me doing anything? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Who knows! Anyway thank you again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: