Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Multiple speaker icons in activity field/taskbar ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:47 am    Post subject: [Solved] Multiple speaker icons in activity field/taskbar ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I now have another peculiar issue. It started with me don't having sound support in KDE/Plasma, so I got that fixed and now use Pulseaudio. However, I have two speaker icons/or volume controls in the activity field. They more or less show the same thing. Is this normal, or have I doubled on something I perhaps should not have? It seems to work ok, just a bit abundant to have two... But still, better than none :)

Ideas? Thanks

Last edited by G3nt00 on Mon May 15, 2023 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
rab0171610
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click on the down arrow to the far right of the system tray, the popup should say 'Configure System Tray'. Click on that and look under "Entries" to see if it shows two entries for audio. If it does, set one of them to hidden. I only have one sound icon in the tray and one corresponding entry called 'Audio Volume' which is set to the default of 'Show When Relevant'.
https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/SystemTray/en
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab0171610 wrote:
Right click on the down arrow to the far right of the system tray, the popup should say 'Configure System Tray'. Click on that and look under "Entries" to see if it shows two entries for audio. If it does, set one of them to hidden. I only have one sound icon in the tray and one corresponding entry called 'Audio Volume' which is set to the default of 'Show When Relevant'.
https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/SystemTray/en

Hm, yet another thing I don't have. The rightmost thing I have is "Peek at desktop", no downwards pointing arrow... Right clicking on system-tray didn't give me the "Configure System Tray" either. Something I need to emerge perhaps? I did emerge the full meta packages of everything, Plasma, apps etc though...
rab0171610
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would not have the arrow if you do not have hidden icons. Regardless, see the link I posted for guidance. Right click in the far right area of the tray and you should have a dialog pop up that allows you to configure the tray icons. You can try this on the far left edge of the system tray as well. Per that link:
Quote:
To access its settings dialog you right click somewhere in the System Tray outside of the service icons

One reason you may have two sound icons is, for example, one is kmix and one is plasma-pa. If you have kmix installed you can uninstall it. Otherwise, keep trying to right click on the tray to the far right of the tray, away from any of the icons until you get to the configuration menu.
If you do have two sound icon entries, you would have to disable one of them there.
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab0171610 wrote:
If you have kmix installed you can uninstall it.

This turned out to be the solution to the mystery, thanks :)

Edit: But not quite... Now when emerging @world, it wants to pull in kmix again.

From before and google, I have tried "equery depends /kde-apps/kmix" & "equery uses /kde-apps/kmix" which I got little help from, or should I? What would be the best way to keep kmix out? Is it part of the profile perhaps? How can I know?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: