Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Compiler missing in llvm profile [solved already, but]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Compiler missing in llvm profile [solved already, but] Reply with quote

I've been installing Gentoo to a (underpowered) laptop and I chose musl-llvm profile (I wish there was musl-llvm-nomultilib too).

Aaanyway. I oneshotted gcc to test if I could just simply compile refind using package.env, but It did not work. I guess setting CC and CXX wasn't enough, but that's another topic.

However, upon --depcleaning I saw gcc being removed. I let it happen since I had no use for gcc anymore. Oh boy... Then the ... dark orange pudding hit the fan.

When emerging anything that needed c or c++ compiler I got some strange errors like "clang: no gcc installation found at /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-gentoo-linux-musl/12". (Sorry, my backlog doesn't reach that far anymore to give here an exact error messages and log.)
I don't know why clang needs gcc, but oh well... Eventually I found /etc/clang/gentoo-common.cfg, which had inclusion of
contents of /etc/clang/gentoo-gcc-install.cfg:
# This file is maintained by gcc-config.
# It is used to specify the selected GCC installation.
--gcc-install-dir="/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-gentoo-linux-musl/12"

Commenting the line which includes /etc/clang/gentoo-gcc-install.cfg in /etc/clang/gentoo-common.cfg [solved] the problem.

But there are lot's of references to "gcc/x86_64-gentoo-linux-musl/12" or alike inside /etc at least.

For now I guess I just mask gcc and gcc-config, but before I do that... Can I remove all the references to gcc by re-emerging gcc-config and use it to remove any "traces"?

Also this may be a case for a bug report. I mean with "vanilla" configs doing
Code:
emerge -1 gcc; emerge -c gcc
... results in "missing" compiler situation. I can reproduce this if really needed.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, gcc-config needs to handle this in pkg_postrm (or perhaps prerm to reduce the raise). Or in gcc's toolchain.eclass.

Please do file a bug. I appreciate your testing on these experimental profiles.
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
Please do file a bug.
Against gcc-config?
sam_ wrote:
I appreciate your testing on these experimental profiles.
Learning things here out of curiosity. Testing comes as a bonus effect. :)
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Compiler missing in llvm profile [solved already, but] Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
I've been installing Gentoo to a (underpowered) laptop and I chose musl-llvm profile (I wish there was musl-llvm-nomultilib too).

Isn't musl x86_64 only?
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Compiler missing in llvm profile [solved already, but] Reply with quote

stefan11111 wrote:
Isn't musl x86_64 only?

musl supports both 32-bit and 64-bit variants, but Gentoo doesn't provide multilib musl profiles indeed, if that's what you meant.
As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Compiler missing in llvm profile [solved already, but] Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
stefan11111 wrote:
Isn't musl x86_64 only?

musl supports both 32-bit and 64-bit variants, but Gentoo doesn't provide multilib musl profiles indeed, if that's what you meant.

Does upstream support multilib musl? I thought it was 64-bit . If so, why does gentoo not support multilib musl?
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Compiler missing in llvm profile [solved already, but] Reply with quote

stefan11111 wrote:
Does upstream support multilib musl? I thought it was 64-bit .

An amd64 multilib setup is basically having two copies of selected libraries, paired with a clever setup of build tools (compilers, linkers, pkg-config, etc.). So providing that is in the distribution's 'jurisdiction', not upstream's. And since you can have two copies of musl on the same computer, it could be theoretically possible, I think. But...

stefan11111 wrote:
If so, why does gentoo not support multilib musl?

... Gentoo developers probably consider that possible usefulness of such a setup is not worth the maintenance effort, given available resources.

EDIT: There is a pure 32-bit musl profile though (GCC-only), it is default/linux/x86/17.0/musl
As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musl upstream explicitly doesn't support multilib and there's no real point given there's no 32-bit ancient games built against musl you want to use on 64-bit systems. Note that it needs some ld.so support.

As for bug: yes, against gcc-config, but it doesn't really matter as I'll triage it anyway.
Zucca

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deed is done.
Haven't filled a bug report in some time. I hope there's enough information.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
musl upstream explicitly doesn't support multilib and there's no real point given there's no 32-bit ancient games built against musl you want to use on 64-bit systems. Note that it needs some ld.so support.

I believe that the dynamic linker's support is already there: each musl variant gets information about directories to search for shared libraries named in DT_NEEDED entries of PT_DYNAMIC segments of ELF executables from different files: /etc/ld-musl-i386.path for the 32-bit libc.so, /etc/ld-musl-x86_64.path for the 64-bit libc.so. I don't know if there is any other needed support. But yes, there is the question about the usefulness of such a setup.
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
sam_ wrote:

I believe that the dynamic linker's support is already there: each musl variant gets information about directories to search for shared libraries named in DT_NEEDED entries of PT_DYNAMIC segments of ELF executables from different files: /etc/ld-musl-i386.path for the 32-bit libc.so, /etc/ld-musl-x86_64.path for the 64-bit libc.so. I don't know if there is any other needed support. But yes, there is the question about the usefulness of such a setup.

You're right, but see also https://wiki.musl-libc.org/guidelines-for-distributions.html#Multilib/multi-arch.
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I manage to fix this in Portage's bashrc then It should be easily merged into ebuild or eclass.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Also this... Reply with quote

Also portage/emerge seems to warn user if gcc isn't found from the system (see this comment).

I tried to remove every reference to gcc from /etc (after removing gcc-config). But I still got the warning.

I think this is a separate bug. Portage should recognize llvm profile (or clang as a system compiler).
I'll conduct more tests before raising (yet) another bug.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: