View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza-rat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Wanting to run XFWM standalone, need help Reply with quote

I'm trying to run XFWM without the rest of the of the XFCE stuff and running into one issue in particular: dbus.

When I'm running openbox, having
Code:
exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session openbox-session
in my xinitrc lets dbus work as it should, trash functionality etc. The same line but with xfwm4 instead of openbox-session does not. xfwm4 works, but no dbus functionality.

What do I do with this? Is there any way to get this to work without resorting to startxfce4 or possibly lxqt-session if I were to use lxqt instead?
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use dbus-launch to start dbus, it should be used to start everything (e.g. your own session script) and not just xfwm4 to ensure everything knows where the dbus socket is and there's no conflicting invocations (xfce components can autostart dbus if missing using ~/.dbus fwiw).

What's not working exactly? Note xfwm4 does /not/ handle trash, so it shouldn't be relevant to it.

xfwm4 is rather limited on its own (just manages windows with optional compositing), and offloads to other xfce components (e.g. you will not even have desktop/trash icons or a wallpaper without xfdesktop or something else to do it, trash itself on xfce is normally handled by thunar I think?).

Starting "just" xfwm4 won't give you anything, just a blank screen, it's not like starting a xfce4 or openbox session. But you can use a wallpaper setter, start some panel like tint2, etc... and it should work fine. xfwm4 being minimal + fairly standard compliant can be nice when you want to control everything yourself, albeit that's not for everyone especially if you want DE integration like trash to work.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using xfwm4 as a stand-alone WM will be a very frustrating dead end. xfwm4 is developed only to be the backbone of xfce4.

OpenBox, on the other hand, is lovely for this purpose. See my thread here where I explained my transition from running LXDE to just running OpenBox and selected other components. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1119739-highlight-lxde+openbox.html
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
pizza-rat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
If you use dbus-launch to start dbus, it should be used to start everything (e.g. your own session script) and not just xfwm4 to ensure everything knows where the dbus socket is and there's no conflicting invocations (xfce components can autostart dbus if missing using ~/.dbus fwiw).

What's not working exactly? Note xfwm4 does /not/ handle trash, so it shouldn't be relevant to it.

xfwm4 is rather limited on its own (just manages windows with optional compositing), and offloads to other xfce components (e.g. you will not even have desktop/trash icons or a wallpaper without xfdesktop or something else to do it, trash itself on xfce is normally handled by thunar I think?).

Starting "just" xfwm4 won't give you anything, just a blank screen, it's not like starting a xfce4 or openbox session. But you can use a wallpaper setter, start some panel like tint2, etc... and it should work fine. xfwm4 being minimal + fairly standard compliant can be nice when you want to control everything yourself, albeit that's not for everyone especially if you want DE integration like trash to work.

The main thing I notice isn't working is said trash functionality in file managers that have it, ie. pcmanfm-qt and thunar. I'm just using startx, here's the relevant part of my .xinitrc
Code:
#Essentials
xbindkeys &
redshift &
fcitx &
lxqt-policykit-agent &
xfce4-power-manager &

#Desktop stuff
conky --config=/home/grug/.config/conky/segmented/bar-kde/cpu.conf &
conky --config=/home/grug/.config/conky/segmented/bar-kde/cpu2.conf &
conky --config=/home/grug/.config/conky/segmented/bar-kde/disk.conf &
conky --config=/home/grug/.config/conky/segmented/bar-kde/disk2.conf &
conky --config=/home/grug/.config/conky/segmented/bar-kde/gpu.conf &
conky --config=/home/grug/.config/conky/segmented/bar-kde/mem.conf &
conky --config=/home/grug/.config/conky/segmented/bar-kde/net.conf &
conky --config=/home/grug/.config/conky/segmented/bar-kde/net2.conf &
conky --config=/home/grug/.config/conky/segmented/bar-kde/aud.conf &
xfdesktop &
tint2 &

#WM/DE
exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session xfwm4

I already realize I've probably done something wrong here by having ie, fcitx before launching dbus (fcitx also does not work 100% without dbus), but if there's a way to autostart in standalone xfwm, or otherwise run more stuff after startx finishes in something like standalone xfwm that doesn't have its own autostart management, then I haven't found it. For now I've bitten the bullet and am using a saved xfce session with some stuff killed by default and some other stuff on autostart like tint2, but I was just curious if there's a cleaner way to do this. I did also try lxqt with xfwm, and it worked until I noticed every time I turned my second monitor on it would set it as the primary display and jumble everything up.

figueroa wrote:
I think using xfwm4 as a stand-alone WM will be a very frustrating dead end. xfwm4 is developed only to be the backbone of xfce4.

OpenBox, on the other hand, is lovely for this purpose. See my thread here where I explained my transition from running LXDE to just running OpenBox and selected other components. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1119739-highlight-lxde+openbox.html

I was actually using openbox for a year up until this point. Then I finally got around to trying wayland and noticed how smooth it was. Went back to openbox and tried everything I could find via both nvidia-settings and my picom configuration and just could not get it as smooth. Then by chance I came back to xfce and damn they must have worked on xfwm's compositor lately because it's smooth as butter. Hence I wanted to try using xfwm like I would openbox, so I set up xbindkeys etc. but this dbus thing is still giving me a headache.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: