View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Latest Nvidia driver 525.78.01 produces a traceback in dmesg Reply with quote

https://pastebin.com/7HDFgfxF

It seems to be working okay, but I thought I'd flag it for future reference.

It turns out the latest Windows Driver from Nvidia crashes with black screen on Lenovo Legion.

https://old.reddit.com/r/LenovoLegion/comments/105eu8e/latest_nvidia_drivers_breaking_display/
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing anything weird like running ~arch nvidia-drivers with a stable kernel?
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicidal wrote:
Are you doing anything weird like running ~arch nvidia-drivers with a stable kernel?
While it may or may not be related, there's nothing weird about that. NVIDIA has official support for very old LTS branches even in latest drivers, and 5.15.x is supported. Plus 525.78.01 is a stable candidate as it's another iteration in their production/stable 525 branch and could be stabled anytime unless there's a widespread issue with it (unfortunately I don't overly consider rare hardware specific issues or else wouldn't be able to stable any drivers -- I know 525.78 been causing issues with "yet more" lenovo thinkpad and brightness for one).

If anything may have more luck using 5.15.x than 6.1.x if was using ~arch + ~arch, nvidia is not the fastest at deploying fixes for cutting edge kernels (especially for obscure runtime issues, build issues thankfully often get fixed during kernel _rc phase).
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicidal wrote:

Thanks for replying.

Both are ~arch.

I get bit all the time by out of step nvidia kernels. I'm used to that, I just thought this was funny.

The reason I checked is because a friend of mine had problem in windows with the latest nvidia driver and had to go back one.
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
Suicidal wrote:
While it may or may not be related, there's nothing weird about that. NVIDIA has official support for very old LTS branches even in latest drivers, and 5.15.x is supported. Plus 525.78.01 is a stable candidate as it's another iteration in their production/stable 525 branch and could be stabled anytime unless there's a widespread issue with it (unfortunately I don't overly consider rare hardware specific issues or else wouldn't be able to stable any drivers -- I know 525.78 been causing issues with "yet more" lenovo thinkpad and brightness for one).

If anything may have more luck using 5.15.x than 6.1.x if was using ~arch + ~arch, nvidia is not the fastest at deploying fixes for cutting edge kernels (especially for obscure runtime issues, build issues thankfully often get fixed during kernel _rc phase).

I generally like running the latest kernel. There are many reasons not to, but I do anyway.

I'm used to nvidia drivers not working. I always just skip the current kernel until nvidia updates the blob.

Although on two of my machines, I've switched to AMDGPU because I'm passing through the nvidia to QEMU on one and got a new GPU for the other.

I'm going to stick with AMDGPU for the future as the drivers are open source and from what I can tell, pretty good.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: