wpa_supplicant doesn't start on login
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HornedAccomplice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: wpa_supplicant doesn't start on login Reply with quote

Hello everyone! So I recently installed Gentoo on my laptop for the first time, and I'm loving the experience, however I'm experience a little difficulty with wpa_supplicant. I'm using wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd to connect to my wifi, and it works fine when I connect manual, however I don't want to type in sudo wpa_supplicant -B -M -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf every time I turn my laptop on. Things I've tried:
    Making a script to run the command when starting my window manager
    having wpa_supplicant start at boot rather than default
    creating a symbolic link between /usr/share/dhcpcd/hooks/10-wpa_supplicant and /usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/, the latter of which didn't exist
and I've been messing around whenever I have free time and looking up any way I can to get this to work. Any help is appreciated and I'll deliver on any files or command output that I need to.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With dhcpcd you do not need to start the wpa_supplicant service. Dhcpcd do it for you if you configure /etc/dhcpcd.conf correctly. Of course you need the synbolic link
Code:
cd /usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/
ln -s /usr/share/dhcpcd/hooks/10-wpa_supplicant

for dhcpcd start wpa_supplicant but you need some declarations in /etc/dhcpcd.conf, something like
Code:
allowinterfaces wlan0
interface wlan0
dhcp
env wpa_supplicant_driver=nl80211

Adapt to your wifi interface. Than dhcpcd should start wpa_supplicant at boot time with it self. The way you proceed maybe you have two instances of wpa_supplicant started. Disable the wpa_supplicant service and let dhcpcd replace it. It work well for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: