View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: find: cksum terminated by sig 4 w/coreutils-9.1-r1 [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I started having problems emerging a variety of libraries - libpciaccess, libdrm, zlib, etc with the following:

Code:
chmod 644 /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/zlib-1.2.13-r1/image/usr/include/zlib.h /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/zlib-1.2.13-r1/image/usr/include/zconf.h
find: ▒cksum▒ terminated by signal 4
 * ERROR: sys-libs/zlib-1.2.13-r1::gentoo failed (install phase):
 *   (no error message)
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  122:  Called src_install
 *   environment, line 2676:  Called multilib-minimal_src_install
 *   environment, line 1993:  Called multilib_foreach_abi 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_install'
 *   environment, line 2223:  Called multibuild_foreach_variant '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_install'
 *   environment, line 1905:  Called _multibuild_run '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_install'
 *   environment, line 1903:  Called _multilib_multibuild_wrapper 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_install'
 *   environment, line  554:  Called multilib-minimal_abi_src_install
 *   environment, line 1990:  Called multilib_check_headers
 *   environment, line 2028:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       cksum=$(_multilib_header_cksum) || die;
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.13-r1::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.13-r1::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/log/builds/sys-libs:zlib-1.2.13-r1:20221204-233104.log'.
 * For convenience, a symlink to the build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/zlib-1.2.13-r1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/zlib-1.2.13-r1/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/zlib-1.2.13-r1/work/zlib-1.2.13-abi_x86_64.amd64'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/zlib-1.2.13-r1/work/zlib-1.2.13'

I noticed that cksum was brought in earlier today with a coreutils update (9.1-r1). I rolled back to 8.32-r1 and was able emerge those. Seems like something might be off with cksum in that version of coreutils?

Any ideas?

hanji

Last edited by hanj on Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work if you emerge coreutils-9 with USE=-openssl?

Edit: ideally try again with it enabled to be sure it's really caused by it too, cksum newly started to use libcrypto.so from openssl so it's possible it's openssl that's causing SIGILL and needs looking into instead

Last edited by Ionen on Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signal 4 is SIGILL. Please show the output of emerge --info as seen at the time you emerged coreutils-9. The signal may indicate that you built a cksum that uses instructions that do not exist on your CPU or that cksum uses a library that uses such instructions.
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
Does it work if you emerge coreutils-9 with USE=-openssl?

Edit: ideally try again with it enabled to be sure it's really caused by it too, cksum newly started to use libcrypto.so from openssl so it's possible it's openssl that's causing SIGILL and needs looking into instead

I'll try later. Here are the USE flags for this:

Code:
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1::gentoo [8.32-r1::gentoo] USE="(split-usr) xattr -acl -caps -gmp -hostname -kill -multicall -nls (-selinux) -static -test -vanilla -verify-sig%" 0 KiB

Thanks
hanji
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Signal 4 is SIGILL. Please show the output of emerge --info as seen at the time you emerged coreutils-9. The signal may indicate that you built a cksum that uses instructions that do not exist on your CPU or that cksum uses a library that uses such instructions.

Here is output of emerge --info

[/code]
Code:
emerge --info
Portage 3.0.38.1 (python 3.8.15-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1, gcc-10.3.0, glibc-2.36-r5, 5.10.49-gentoo-r1-rscloud x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-5.10.49-gentoo-r1-rscloud-x86_64-Intel-R-_Xeon-R-_CPU_E5-2670_0_@_2.60GHz-with-glibc2.34
KiB Mem:     2043084 total,    386004 free
KiB Swap:    4096120 total,   3632312 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 10:00:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: e71d31144780c530f96060005904503c0f23e780
sh bash 5.1_p16
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.37_p1 p2) 2.37
app-misc/pax-utils:        1.3.5::gentoo
app-shells/bash:           5.1_p16::gentoo
dev-java/java-config:      2.3.1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:             5.34.1-r4::gentoo
dev-lang/python:           2.7.18_p16::gentoo, 3.6.15::gentoo, 3.7.13::gentoo, 3.8.15_p3::gentoo, 3.9.15_p3::gentoo, 3.10.8_p3::gentoo, 3.11.0_p2::gentoo
dev-lang/rust-bin:         1.65.0::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:            3.24.3::gentoo
dev-util/meson:            0.63.3::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:       2.9::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:           0.45.2-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:          2.29::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:        2.69-r5::gentoo, 2.71-r5::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:        1.12.6-r2::gentoo, 1.13.4::gentoo, 1.14.1::gentoo, 1.16.5::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:        2.26.1::gentoo, 2.28-r2::gentoo, 2.28.1::gentoo, 2.29.1-r1::gentoo, 2.30-r4::gentoo, 2.31.1-r6::gentoo, 2.32-r1::gentoo, 2.33.1-r1::gentoo, 2.34-r2::gentoo, 2.35.2::gentoo, 2.36.1-r2::gentoo, 2.37_p1-r2::gentoo, 2.38-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils-config: 5.4.1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:             9.2.0-r2::gentoo, 10.3.0-r2::gentoo, 11.3.0::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:      2.8::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:         2.4.7::gentoo
sys-devel/llvm:            6.0.1-r2::gentoo, 7.1.0::gentoo, 8.0.1::gentoo, 9.0.1::gentoo, 11.1.0::gentoo, 12.0.1::gentoo, 13.0.0::gentoo
sys-devel/make:            4.3::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers:  5.15-r3::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:            2.36-r5::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 24
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1

x-portage
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 0

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php7.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/apache2-php7.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/apache2-php7.4/ext-active/ /etc/php/apache2-php8.1/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php7.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php7.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php7.4/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php8.1/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php7.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php7.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php7.4/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php8.1/ext-active/ /etc/php/fpm-php7.4/ext-active/ /etc/php/fpm-php8.1/ext-active/ /etc/php/phpdbg-php7.4/ext-active/ /etc/php/phpdbg-php8.1/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="CARGO_HOME DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR XDG_STATE_HOME"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs buildpkg-live config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox preserve-libs protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j1"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
SHELL="/bin/bash"
USE="amd64 apache2 bzip2 cli crypt dri fortran gdbm iconv innodb libglvnd libtirpc maildir multilib mysql ncurses nptl nptlonly openmp openssh pam pcre php pwdb readline sasl seccomp snortsam split-usr ssl test-rust unicode vhosts xattr zlib" ABI_X86="64" ADA_TARGET="gnat_2021" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic auth_digest authn_anon authn_dbd authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock dbd deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers ident imagemap include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation proxy proxy_ajp rewrite setenvif so speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias cgi unixd authn_core authz_core access_compat slotmem_shm socache_shmcb gzip version" APACHE2_MPMS="prefork" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64 pc xen" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-1" LUA_TARGETS="lua5-1" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-4" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres12 postgres13" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_10" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_5 python3_6 python3_7 python3_8 python3_9 python3_10 python3_11" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby27" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu fbdev intel nouveau radeon radeonsi vesa dummy v4l" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq proto steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  ADDR2LINE, AR, ARFLAGS, AS, ASFLAGS, CC, CCLD, CONFIG_SHELL, CPP, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, CXXFILT, ELFEDIT, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, EXTRA_ECONF, F77FLAGS, FC, GCOV, GPROF, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LD, LEX, LFLAGS, LIBTOOL, MAKE, MAKEFLAGS, NM, OBJCOPY, OBJDUMP, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, RANLIB, READELF, RUSTFLAGS, SIZE, STRINGS, STRIP, YACC, YFLAGS

Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanj wrote:
Code:
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1::gentoo [8.32-r1::gentoo] USE="(split-usr) xattr -acl -caps -gmp -hostname -kill -multicall -nls (-selinux) -static -test -vanilla -verify-sig%" 0 KiB
Ah, nevermind then. I thought this may be coreutils-9.1-r2 but -r1 wouldn't use openssl (not normally anyway, no need to try -r2).

Edit:
Well, I'm assuming you didn't unmask & use openssl-3 anyway, that would have different behaviour (should be on openssl-1.1.1*)

That aside, seem to be using a rather old gcc and binutils -- seems time to `emerge --depclean` and use the latest you have (binutils2.38 and gcc11), maybe it'll sort out your coreutils issues. Don't have real ideas if it's SIGILL given the emerge --info's CFLAGS are harmless (didn't copy this system from another machine, right?).
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
hanj wrote:
Code:
Ah, nevermind then. I thought this may be coreutils-9.1-r2 but -r1 wouldn't use openssl (not normally anyway, no need to try -r2).

Edit:
Well, I'm assuming you didn't unmask & use openssl-3 anyway, that would have different behaviour (should be on openssl-1.1.1*)

That aside, seem to be using a rather old gcc and binutils -- seems time to `emerge --depclean` and use the latest you have (binutils2.38 and gcc11), maybe it'll sort out your coreutils issues. Don't have real ideas if it's SIGILL given the emerge --info's CFLAGS are harmless (didn't copy this system from another machine, right?).

OpenSSL:
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/openssl-1.1.1q:0/1.1::gentoo  USE="asm -rfc3779 -sctp -sslv3 -static-libs -test -tls-compression -tls-heartbeat -vanilla -verify-sig -weak-ssl-ciphers" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="(sse2)" 9633 KiB

I don't think gcc and binutils are that old?

Code:
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-9.2.0
 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-10.3.0 *
 [3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-11.3.0

Code:
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.26.1
 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.28
 [3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.28.1
 [4] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.29.1
 [5] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.30
 [6] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.31.1
 [7] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.32
 [8] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.33.1
 [9] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.34
 [10] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.35.2
 [11] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.36.1
 [12] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.37_p1 *
 [13] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.38

sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your selected binutils and gcc aren't too old (although you should select the newest of each), but you do have some very old binutils in particular installed. It makes me a bit worried about what other old demons are lurking.

1. What does emerge -pvc say?
2. What about find /usr/local?
3. If neither of those two give interesting results, we'll need to try identify the bad instruction using gdb (I think dmesg can sometimes show it too -- anything there when it happens?)
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
Your selected binutils and gcc aren't too old (although you should select the newest of each), but you do have some very old binutils in particular installed. It makes me a bit worried about what other old demons are lurking.

3. If neither of those two give interesting results, we'll need to try identify the bad instruction using gdb (I think dmesg can sometimes show it too -- anything there when it happens?)

emerge -pvc is balking on:

Code:
*   dev-lang/python-exec:2/2=[python_targets_python2_7(-),python_single_target_python2_7(+)] pulled in by:
 *     net-analyzer/fail2ban-0.8.13

nothing unusual in /usr/local, I have a portage overlay and a couple of source builds I have in there.

I'll start cleaning up my old binutils now.

When you're talking about dmesg, are you talking about the fail with the newer cksum? Or are you talking about information when emerging the latest coreutils?

Thanks!
hanji
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanj wrote:
sam_ wrote:

emerge -pvc is balking on:

Code:
*   dev-lang/python-exec:2/2=[python_targets_python2_7(-),python_single_target_python2_7(+)] pulled in by:
 *     net-analyzer/fail2ban-0.8.13

nothing unusual in /usr/local, I have a portage overlay and a couple of source builds I have in there.

I'll start cleaning up my old binutils now.

When you're talking about dmesg, are you talking about the fail with the newer cksum? Or are you talking about information when emerging the latest coreutils?

Thanks!
hanji

What source builds exactly are in /usr/local? It's usually a concern because system builds can and will do lookups in /usr/local but stuff like preserve-libs won't cover it. It's a common source of breakage.

As for depclean: I guess we need to do a world upgrade (a bit overdue!) but you can't until we get to the bottom of this, so let's focus on dmesg/cksum.

wrt dmesg: I mean a line which appears there after running a broken cksum.
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:

What source builds exactly are in /usr/local? It's usually a concern because system builds can and will do lookups in /usr/local but stuff like preserve-libs won't cover it. It's a common source of breakage.

As for depclean: I guess we need to do a world upgrade (a bit overdue!) but you can't until we get to the bottom of this, so let's focus on dmesg/cksum.

wrt dmesg: I mean a line which appears there after running a broken cksum.

Here is the output of find /usr/local. I excluded the items in /usr/local/portage.

Code:
/usr/local/src
/usr/local/src/.keep
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64.rpm
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/var
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/var/log
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/var/log/pagespeed
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/var/cache
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/var/cache/mod_pagespeed
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/usr
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/usr/lib64
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/usr/lib64/httpd
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/usr/lib64/httpd/modules
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_pagespeed.so
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_pagespeed_ap24.so
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/usr/bin
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/usr/bin/pagespeed_js_minify
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/etc
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/etc/httpd
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/etc/httpd/conf.d
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/etc/httpd/conf.d/pagespeed_libraries.conf
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/etc/httpd/conf.d/pagespeed.conf
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/etc/cron.daily
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64/etc/cron.daily/mod-pagespeed
/usr/local/src/mod-pagespeed-stable_current_x86_64.tar
/usr/local/man
/usr/local/lib64
/usr/local/games
/usr/local/games/.keep
/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/bin/.keep
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/.keep
/usr/local/sbin
/usr/local/sbin/.keep
/usr/local/share
/usr/local/share/.keep
/usr/local/share/man
/usr/local/share/man/.keep
/usr/local/share/man/whatis
/usr/local/share/doc
/usr/local/share/doc/.keep

sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, those should all be OK as they're in subdirs of /usr/local/src (not in /usr/local/lib*, /usr/local/*bin, etc).

Okay, when you run cksum by itself, does it die? In any case, when you get cksum to crash, does a line appear in dmesg? If not, we may need to run it under gdb.
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
Thanks, those should all be OK as they're in subdirs of /usr/local/src (not in /usr/local/lib*, /usr/local/*bin, etc).

Okay, when you run cksum by itself, does it die? In any case, when you get cksum to crash, does a line appear in dmesg? If not, we may need to run it under gdb.

Okay, updated coreutils again, and did a test emerge for libpciaccess which I know causes it.

Here is the output of dmesg:
Code:
[2000665.285801] traps: cksum[18053] trap invalid opcode ip:55e3ad59c365 sp:7ffd1bb9ef30 error:0 in cksum[55e3ad586000+17000]

Test on cksum by itself
Code:
touch yo
cksum yo
Illegal instruction

Code:
[2000743.713156] traps: cksum[18279] trap invalid opcode ip:56008cc08365 sp:7ffc81b3ffb0 error:0 in cksum[56008cbf2000+17000]

Thanks!
hanji
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you run 'cksum yo' in the GNU debugger? A backtrace after the trap could show us in which function the error occurs. Maybe you can also find out the instruction that causes the invalid opcode trap?
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
Can you run 'cksum yo' in the GNU debugger? A backtrace after the trap could show us in which function the error occurs. Maybe you can also find out the instruction that causes the invalid opcode trap?

Here you go:

Code:
gdb --args cksum yo
GNU gdb (Gentoo 12.1 vanilla) 12.1
Copyright (C) 2022 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<https://bugs.gentoo.org/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from cksum...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/cksum yo
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0x000055555556c365 in cksum_pclmul (fp=0x5555555782a0, crc_out=0x7fffffffd710, length_out=0x7fffffffd708) at src/cksum_pclmul.c:59
59      src/cksum_pclmul.c: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
#0  0x000055555556c365 in cksum_pclmul (fp=0x5555555782a0, crc_out=0x7fffffffd710, length_out=0x7fffffffd708) at src/cksum_pclmul.c:59
#1  0x000055555555a670 in crc_sum_stream (stream=0x5555555782a0, resstream=0x7fffffffd840, length=0x7fffffffd838) at src/cksum.c:269
#2  0x0000555555557a2a in digest_file (filename=filename@entry=0x7fffffffdcda "yo",
    bin_result=bin_result@entry=0x7fffffffd840 "\370\330\377\377\377\177", missing=missing@entry=0x7fffffffd830, length=length@entry=0x7fffffffd838,
    binary=<optimized out>) at src/digest.c:945
#3  0x0000555555556f18 in main (argc=2, argv=<optimized out>) at src/digest.c:1504

Code:

Seems interesting....
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the same prompt where you ran bt, what is the output of disassemble? This will show us context around the fault, and the specific instruction that faulted. Knowing the opcode that your CPU is rejecting may let us identify which compiler flag enabled it to put that opcode in cksum. We could guess based on that pclmul in the name, but I would prefer to be sure.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a virtual machine?
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
Is it a virtual machine?

It is.
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
At the same prompt where you ran bt, what is the output of disassemble? This will show us context around the fault, and the specific instruction that faulted. Knowing the opcode that your CPU is rejecting may let us identify which compiler flag enabled it to put that opcode in cksum. We could guess based on that pclmul in the name, but I would prefer to be sure.

Here you go:

Code:
gdb --args cksum yo
GNU gdb (Gentoo 12.1 vanilla) 12.1
Copyright (C) 2022 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<https://bugs.gentoo.org/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from cksum...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/cksum yo
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0x000055555556c365 in cksum_pclmul (fp=0x5555555782a0, crc_out=0x7fffffffd710, length_out=0x7fffffffd708) at src/cksum_pclmul.c:59
(gdb) bt
#0  0x000055555556c365 in cksum_pclmul (fp=0x5555555782a0, crc_out=0x7fffffffd710, length_out=0x7fffffffd708) at src/cksum_pclmul.c:59
#1  0x000055555555a670 in crc_sum_stream (stream=0x5555555782a0, resstream=0x7fffffffd840, length=0x7fffffffd838) at src/cksum.c:269
#2  0x0000555555557a2a in digest_file (filename=filename@entry=0x7fffffffdcda "yo",
    bin_result=bin_result@entry=0x7fffffffd840 "\370\330\377\377\377\177", missing=missing@entry=0x7fffffffd830, length=length@entry=0x7fffffffd838,
    binary=<optimized out>) at src/digest.c:945
#3  0x0000555555556f18 in main (argc=2, argv=<optimized out>) at src/digest.c:1504
(gdb) disassemble
Dump of assembler code for function cksum_pclmul:
   0x000055555556c2f0 <+0>:     push   %r15
   0x000055555556c2f2 <+2>:     push   %r14
   0x000055555556c2f4 <+4>:     push   %r13
   0x000055555556c2f6 <+6>:     push   %r12
   0x000055555556c2f8 <+8>:     push   %rbp
   0x000055555556c2f9 <+9>:     push   %rbx
   0x000055555556c2fa <+10>:    sub    $0x10028,%rsp
   0x000055555556c301 <+17>:    mov    %rdx,0x8(%rsp)
   0x000055555556c306 <+22>:    mov    %fs:0x28,%rax
   0x000055555556c30f <+31>:    mov    %rax,0x10018(%rsp)
   0x000055555556c317 <+39>:    xor    %eax,%eax
   0x000055555556c319 <+41>:    test   %rsi,%rsi
   0x000055555556c31c <+44>:    sete   %r12b
   0x000055555556c320 <+48>:    test   %rdx,%rdx
   0x000055555556c323 <+51>:    sete   %al
   0x000055555556c326 <+54>:    or     %eax,%r12d
   0x000055555556c329 <+57>:    test   %rdi,%rdi
   0x000055555556c32c <+60>:    sete   %al
   0x000055555556c32f <+63>:    or     %al,%r12b
   0x000055555556c332 <+66>:    jne    0x55555556c590 <cksum_pclmul+672>
   0x000055555556c338 <+72>:    mov    %rdi,%r15
   0x000055555556c33b <+75>:    mov    %rsi,%r14
   0x000055555556c33e <+78>:    xor    %ebp,%ebp
   0x000055555556c340 <+80>:    xor    %ebx,%ebx
   0x000055555556c342 <+82>:    lea    0x10(%rsp),%r13
   0x000055555556c347 <+87>:    nopw   0x0(%rax,%rax,1)
   0x000055555556c350 <+96>:    mov    $0x10000,%edx
   0x000055555556c355 <+101>:   mov    %r15,%rcx
   0x000055555556c358 <+104>:   mov    $0x1,%esi
   0x000055555556c35d <+109>:   mov    %r13,%rdi
   0x000055555556c360 <+112>:   call   0x555555556100 <fread_unlocked@plt>
=> 0x000055555556c365 <+117>:   vmovdqa 0x6d83(%rip),%xmm7        # 0x5555555730f0
   0x000055555556c36d <+125>:   vmovdqa 0x6d5b(%rip),%xmm6        # 0x5555555730d0
   0x000055555556c375 <+133>:   test   %rax,%rax
   0x000055555556c378 <+136>:   vmovdqa 0x6d60(%rip),%xmm1        # 0x5555555730e0
   0x000055555556c380 <+144>:   mov    %rax,%rdx
--Type <RET> for more, q to quit, c to continue without paging--c
   0x000055555556c383 <+147>:   je     0x55555556c3db <cksum_pclmul+235>
   0x000055555556c385 <+149>:   add    %rdx,%rbp
   0x000055555556c388 <+152>:   jb     0x55555556c598 <cksum_pclmul+680>
   0x000055555556c38e <+158>:   cmp    $0x7f,%rdx
   0x000055555556c392 <+162>:   ja     0x55555556c420 <cksum_pclmul+304>
   0x000055555556c398 <+168>:   cmp    $0x1f,%rdx
   0x000055555556c39c <+172>:   ja     0x55555556c5ad <cksum_pclmul+701>
   0x000055555556c3a2 <+178>:   mov    %r13,%rax
   0x000055555556c3a5 <+181>:   add    %rax,%rdx
   0x000055555556c3a8 <+184>:   lea    0x1cf1(%rip),%rsi        # 0x55555556e0a0 <crctab>
   0x000055555556c3af <+191>:   nop
   0x000055555556c3b0 <+192>:   add    $0x1,%rax
   0x000055555556c3b4 <+196>:   mov    %rbx,%rcx
   0x000055555556c3b7 <+199>:   shr    $0x18,%rbx
   0x000055555556c3bb <+203>:   xor    -0x1(%rax),%bl
   0x000055555556c3be <+206>:   shl    $0x8,%rcx
   0x000055555556c3c2 <+210>:   movzbl %bl,%ebx
   0x000055555556c3c5 <+213>:   xor    (%rsi,%rbx,8),%rcx
   0x000055555556c3c9 <+217>:   mov    %rcx,%rbx
   0x000055555556c3cc <+220>:   cmp    %rdx,%rax
   0x000055555556c3cf <+223>:   jne    0x55555556c3b0 <cksum_pclmul+192>
   0x000055555556c3d1 <+225>:   testb  $0x10,(%r15)
   0x000055555556c3d5 <+229>:   je     0x55555556c350 <cksum_pclmul+96>
   0x000055555556c3db <+235>:   mov    0x8(%rsp),%rax
   0x000055555556c3e0 <+240>:   mov    %rbx,(%r14)
   0x000055555556c3e3 <+243>:   mov    $0x1,%r12d
   0x000055555556c3e9 <+249>:   mov    %rbp,(%rax)
   0x000055555556c3ec <+252>:   mov    0x10018(%rsp),%rax
   0x000055555556c3f4 <+260>:   sub    %fs:0x28,%rax
   0x000055555556c3fd <+269>:   jne    0x55555556c5a8 <cksum_pclmul+696>
   0x000055555556c403 <+275>:   add    $0x10028,%rsp
   0x000055555556c40a <+282>:   mov    %r12d,%eax
   0x000055555556c40d <+285>:   pop    %rbx
   0x000055555556c40e <+286>:   pop    %rbp
   0x000055555556c40f <+287>:   pop    %r12
   0x000055555556c411 <+289>:   pop    %r13
   0x000055555556c413 <+291>:   pop    %r14
   0x000055555556c415 <+293>:   pop    %r15
   0x000055555556c417 <+295>:   ret
   0x000055555556c418 <+296>:   nopl   0x0(%rax,%rax,1)
   0x000055555556c420 <+304>:   vpxor  %xmm2,%xmm2,%xmm2
   0x000055555556c424 <+308>:   lea    -0x80(%rdx),%rsi
   0x000055555556c428 <+312>:   vmovdqa %xmm6,%xmm8
   0x000055555556c42c <+316>:   mov    %r13,%rcx
   0x000055555556c42f <+319>:   vmovdqa 0x10(%rsp),%xmm5
   0x000055555556c435 <+325>:   vpinsrd $0x3,%ebx,%xmm2,%xmm2
   0x000055555556c43b <+331>:   shr    $0x6,%rsi
   0x000055555556c43f <+335>:   vmovdqa 0x40(%rsp),%xmm4
   0x000055555556c445 <+341>:   lea    0x1(%rsi),%rax
   0x000055555556c449 <+345>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm5,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c44e <+350>:   vmovdqa 0x20(%rsp),%xmm5
   0x000055555556c454 <+356>:   shl    $0x6,%rax
   0x000055555556c458 <+360>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm4,%xmm3
   0x000055555556c45d <+365>:   vpxor  %xmm0,%xmm2,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c461 <+369>:   add    %r13,%rax
   0x000055555556c464 <+372>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm5,%xmm2
   0x000055555556c469 <+377>:   vmovdqa 0x30(%rsp),%xmm5
   0x000055555556c46f <+383>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm5,%xmm5
   0x000055555556c474 <+388>:   nopl   0x0(%rax)
   0x000055555556c478 <+392>:   add    $0x40,%rcx
   0x000055555556c47c <+396>:   vpclmullqlqdq %xmm1,%xmm3,%xmm4
   0x000055555556c482 <+402>:   vpclmulhqhqdq %xmm1,%xmm3,%xmm10
   0x000055555556c488 <+408>:   vmovdqa (%rcx),%xmm3
   0x000055555556c48c <+412>:   vpclmullqlqdq %xmm1,%xmm0,%xmm9
   0x000055555556c492 <+418>:   vpclmulhqhqdq %xmm1,%xmm0,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c498 <+424>:   vpclmullqlqdq %xmm1,%xmm2,%xmm12
   0x000055555556c49e <+430>:   vpxor  %xmm9,%xmm0,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c4a3 <+435>:   vpclmulhqhqdq %xmm1,%xmm2,%xmm2
   0x000055555556c4a9 <+441>:   vpclmullqlqdq %xmm1,%xmm5,%xmm11
   0x000055555556c4af <+447>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm3,%xmm3
   0x000055555556c4b4 <+452>:   vpxor  %xmm12,%xmm2,%xmm2
   0x000055555556c4b9 <+457>:   vpclmulhqhqdq %xmm1,%xmm5,%xmm5
   0x000055555556c4bf <+463>:   vpxor  %xmm3,%xmm0,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c4c3 <+467>:   vmovdqa 0x10(%rcx),%xmm3
   0x000055555556c4c8 <+472>:   vpxor  %xmm11,%xmm5,%xmm5
   0x000055555556c4cd <+477>:   vpxor  %xmm10,%xmm4,%xmm4
   0x000055555556c4d2 <+482>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm3,%xmm9
   0x000055555556c4d7 <+487>:   vmovdqa 0x20(%rcx),%xmm3
   0x000055555556c4dc <+492>:   vpxor  %xmm9,%xmm2,%xmm2
   0x000055555556c4e1 <+497>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm3,%xmm9
   0x000055555556c4e6 <+502>:   vmovdqa 0x30(%rcx),%xmm3
   0x000055555556c4eb <+507>:   vpxor  %xmm9,%xmm5,%xmm5
   0x000055555556c4f0 <+512>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm3,%xmm3
   0x000055555556c4f5 <+517>:   vpxor  %xmm3,%xmm4,%xmm3
   0x000055555556c4f9 <+521>:   cmp    %rax,%rcx
   0x000055555556c4fc <+524>:   jne    0x55555556c478 <cksum_pclmul+392>
   0x000055555556c502 <+530>:   neg    %rsi
   0x000055555556c505 <+533>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm2,%xmm2
   0x000055555556c50a <+538>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm0,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c50f <+543>:   xor    %ebx,%ebx
   0x000055555556c511 <+545>:   shl    $0x6,%rsi
   0x000055555556c515 <+549>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm5,%xmm5
   0x000055555556c51a <+554>:   vmovdqu %xmm0,(%rax)
   0x000055555556c51e <+558>:   vmovdqa %xmm2,%xmm4
   0x000055555556c522 <+562>:   vpshufb %xmm6,%xmm3,%xmm3
   0x000055555556c527 <+567>:   lea    -0x40(%rdx,%rsi,1),%rdx
   0x000055555556c52c <+572>:   vmovdqu %xmm2,0x10(%rax)
   0x000055555556c531 <+577>:   vmovdqu %xmm5,0x20(%rax)
   0x000055555556c536 <+582>:   vmovdqu %xmm3,0x30(%rax)
   0x000055555556c53b <+587>:   vpxor  %xmm2,%xmm2,%xmm2
   0x000055555556c53f <+591>:   vpshufb %xmm8,%xmm0,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c544 <+596>:   vpinsrd $0x3,%ebx,%xmm2,%xmm2
   0x000055555556c54a <+602>:   vpxor  %xmm2,%xmm0,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c54e <+606>:   jmp    0x55555556c555 <cksum_pclmul+613>
   0x000055555556c550 <+608>:   vmovdqa 0x10(%rax),%xmm4
   0x000055555556c555 <+613>:   vpclmullqlqdq %xmm7,%xmm0,%xmm2
   0x000055555556c55b <+619>:   vpclmulhqhqdq %xmm7,%xmm0,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c561 <+625>:   sub    $0x10,%rdx
   0x000055555556c565 <+629>:   add    $0x10,%rax
   0x000055555556c569 <+633>:   vpshufb %xmm8,%xmm4,%xmm4
   0x000055555556c56e <+638>:   vpxor  %xmm2,%xmm0,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c572 <+642>:   vpxor  %xmm4,%xmm0,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c576 <+646>:   cmp    $0x1f,%rdx
   0x000055555556c57a <+650>:   ja     0x55555556c550 <cksum_pclmul+608>
   0x000055555556c57c <+652>:   vpshufb %xmm8,%xmm0,%xmm0
   0x000055555556c581 <+657>:   xor    %ebx,%ebx
   0x000055555556c583 <+659>:   vmovdqa %xmm0,(%rax)
   0x000055555556c587 <+663>:   jmp    0x55555556c3a5 <cksum_pclmul+181>
   0x000055555556c58c <+668>:   nopl   0x0(%rax)
   0x000055555556c590 <+672>:   xor    %r12d,%r12d
   0x000055555556c593 <+675>:   jmp    0x55555556c3ec <cksum_pclmul+252>
   0x000055555556c598 <+680>:   call   0x555555556060 <__errno_location@plt>
   0x000055555556c59d <+685>:   movl   $0x4b,(%rax)
   0x000055555556c5a3 <+691>:   jmp    0x55555556c3ec <cksum_pclmul+252>
   0x000055555556c5a8 <+696>:   call   0x555555556140 <__stack_chk_fail@plt>
   0x000055555556c5ad <+701>:   vmovdqa 0x20(%rsp),%xmm4
   0x000055555556c5b3 <+707>:   vmovdqa 0x10(%rsp),%xmm0
   0x000055555556c5b9 <+713>:   mov    %r13,%rax
   0x000055555556c5bc <+716>:   vmovdqa %xmm6,%xmm8
   0x000055555556c5c0 <+720>:   jmp    0x55555556c53b <cksum_pclmul+587>
End of assembler dump.

mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmovdqa seems to be an AVX instruction. According to this page, the Xeon E5-2670 supports AVX. So why do we get an illegal instruction trap?

Please add "-mnoavx" (temporarily) to your CFLAGS and re-emerge coreutils. Does cksum work now?
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
vmovdqa seems to be an AVX instruction. According to this page, the Xeon E5-2670 supports AVX. So why do we get an illegal instruction trap?

Please add "-mnoavx" (temporarily) to your CFLAGS and re-emerge coreutils. Does cksum work now?

Does not compile with that flag:

Code:
checking for a race-free mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/work/coreutils-9.1':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/work/coreutils-9.1/config.log
 * ERROR: sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1::gentoo failed (configure phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line  122:  Called src_configure
 *             environment, line 2796:  Called econf '--with-packager=Gentoo' '--with-packager-version=9.1-r1 (p0)' '--with-packager-bug-reports=https://bugs.gentoo.org/' '--enable-install-program=arch,,' '--enable-no-install-program=groups,hostname,kill,su,uptime' '--enable-largefile' '--disable-libcap' '--disable-nls' '--disable-acl' '--disable-single-binary' '--enable-xattr' '--without-libgmp'
 *        phase-helpers.sh, line  730:  Called __helpers_die 'econf failed'
 *   isolated-functions.sh, line  112:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *              die "$@"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/log/builds/sys-apps:coreutils-9.1-r1:20221206-154009.log'.
 * For convenience, a symlink to the build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/work/coreutils-9.1'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/work/coreutils-9.1'

>>> Failed to emerge sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1, Log file:

>>>  '/var/log/builds/sys-apps:coreutils-9.1-r1:20221206-154009.log'

CFLAGS in make.conf

Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -ggdb3 -mnoavx"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. Sorry. It should be "-mno-avx".
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
My mistake. Sorry. It should be "-mno-avx".

No problem. It didn't like that either:

Code:
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc  -I. -I./lib  -Ilib -I./lib -Isrc -I./src  -mavx -mpclmul   -O2 -pipe -ggdb3 -mno-avx -c -o src/libcksum_pclmul_a-cksum_pclmul.o `test -f 'src/cksum_pclmul.c' || echo './'`src/cksum_pclmul.c
In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.3.0/include/immintrin.h:35,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.3.0/include/x86intrin.h:32,
                 from src/cksum_pclmul.c:22:
src/cksum_pclmul.c: In function 'cksum_pclmul':
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.3.0/include/tmmintrin.h:136:1: error: inlining failed in call to 'always_inline' '_mm_shuffle_epi8': target specific option mismatch
  136 | _mm_shuffle_epi8 (__m128i __X, __m128i __Y)
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:103:19: note: called from here
  103 |           data7 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data7, shuffle_constant);
      |                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.3.0/include/immintrin.h:35,
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.3.0/include/tmmintrin.h:136:1: error: inlining failed in call to 'always_inline' '_mm_shuffle_epi8': target specific option mismatch
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:101:19: note: called from here
  101 |           data5 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data5, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:99:19: note: called from here
   99 |           data3 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data3, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:92:18: note: called from here
   92 |           data = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data, shuffle_constant);
      |                  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:92:18: note: called from here
   92 |           data = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:99:19: note: called from here
   99 |           data3 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data3, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:101:19: note: called from here
  101 |           data5 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data5, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:103:19: note: called from here
  103 |           data7 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data7, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:142:23: note: called from here
  142 |               data8 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data8, shuffle_constant);
      |                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:137:23: note: called from here
  137 |               data6 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data6, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:132:23: note: called from here
  132 |               data4 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data4, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:127:23: note: called from here
  127 |               data2 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data2, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:127:23: note: called from here
  127 |               data2 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data2, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:132:23: note: called from here
  132 |               data4 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data4, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:137:23: note: called from here
  137 |               data6 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data6, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:142:23: note: called from here
  142 |               data8 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data8, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:155:19: note: called from here
  155 |           data7 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data7, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:153:19: note: called from here
  153 |           data5 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data5, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:151:19: note: called from here
  151 |           data3 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data3, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:149:18: note: called from here
  149 |           data = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:151:19: note: called from here
  151 |           data3 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data3, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:153:19: note: called from here
  153 |           data5 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data5, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:155:19: note: called from here
  155 |           data7 = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data7, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:163:18: note: called from here
  163 |           data = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:163:18: note: called from here
  163 |           data = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data, shuffle_constant);
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:174:27: note: called from here
  174 |               fold_data = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (fold_data, shuffle_constant);
      |                           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:174:27: note: called from here
  174 |               fold_data = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (fold_data, shuffle_constant);
      |                           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/cksum_pclmul.c:179:18: note: called from here
  179 |           data = _mm_shuffle_epi8 (data, shuffle_constant);
make[2]: *** [Makefile:18310: src/libcksum_pclmul_a-cksum_pclmul.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/work/coreutils-9.1'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:21011: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/work/coreutils-9.1'
make: *** [Makefile:8269: all] Error 2
 * ERROR: sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/log/builds/sys-apps:coreutils-9.1-r1:20221206-154954.log'.
 * For convenience, a symlink to the build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/work/coreutils-9.1'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1/work/coreutils-9.1'

>>> Failed to emerge sys-apps/coreutils-9.1-r1, Log file:

mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I know what's going on. Please try:
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -ggdb3 -march=native -mno-avx"
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coreutils overrides -mno-avx inside its Makefile if avx is detected by cpu capability and includes a file that needs AVX..
Override: https://github.com/coreutils/coreutils/blob/master/src/local.mk#L422
Detection: https://github.com/coreutils/coreutils/blob/master/configure.ac#L570
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: