View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: libreoffice writer: missing characters on display and zoom Reply with quote

Hi, with libreoffice writer 7.3.6.2, default UI Render, VCL: gtk3, I get a strange font rendering issue:

With a zoom factor of 100%, everything is looking good on the screen. When I increase the zoom factor, I get missing characters on the screen. These missing characters can be anything from 'm' to 'é', and also '(4x)' can display '( )', but '[4x]' can be OK with the same zoom factor.

This is with X.Org X Server 1.21.1.4, the nouveau driver, and running fvwm 3.0.6

Is it some known issue, or is it something I can do about this?
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dominique.

Does it happen with new native LibreOffice Writer documents (ODF text, .odt)? I'm just wondering if you're editing documents in Word format: I believe there have been bugs related to kerning with Word documents, that result in characters appearing and disappearing at different zoom levels.

If that's not the issue, I don't know what it could be. I'm not seeing any problems here with the identical Writer and xorg-server versions, but I'm using XFCE and the nvidia driver.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi psycho,

This was with an old libreoffice .odt document. I opened it, saved it with a new name and begun to change it.

If I create a new text document from the scratch, I don't get that issue.
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so that's good if a new document doesn't have the issue, that rules out most possibilities and narrows it down to something specific to the formatting in the problematic file(s). You could try selecting all the text and turning off "pair kerning" (format -> character -> position), although even if that works it runs the risk of fixing the on-screen display at the cost of making the printed text look worse. Anyway if you can't find any options that fix the issue in the original document, you could strip the formatting off completely by copying and pasting the text (as "special -> unformatted text") into the new, correctly working document.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: