View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: KDE issues Reply with quote

For quite a while now I've been having a couple issues with KDE. While some of it (maybe both?) may be caused by my using dual screens (two physically separate monitors.)

I'm using:

Code:

[IP-] [  ] kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.25.5:5

The two very annoying things that are happening with KDE:

-Plasmashell takes 100% making the taskbar/menu unresponsive. Only solution is to kill and restart the process.
-KDE seemingly randomly shoves all windows to one monitor. The lock screen seems to always do this. However other times it just seems to randomly happen when I'm working but I can't reproduce it.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour? I've gotten pretty used to fixing the task bar and start menu with `killall plasmashell && plasmashell &` to fix the annoying taskbar and menu issue, I haven't been able to figure out why the lock screen is moving my windows on me and this is really irritating!
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

X or Wayland?

this also happening if you try with clean (other) user profile?

it seems that kde is resetting the plasma settings file in users profile - search for it and make a copy.

logout or restart your device - login and compare this settings file if there are any changes.

there must be a plasma.log or kde.log in users profile folder.

8)
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's X. I tried wayland once way back when and it didn't work at all with dual monitors.

I've reset my profile multiple times.

I think it has something to do with monitor detection when resuming from sleep - as in there's a split second where only one monitor is detected and it moves all windows to the only one available. Then another split second later the other screen registers.

This doesn't explain why it's doing it with the lock screen. Another weird thing I've noticed very recently is that the monitors no longer blank after a while. I got a new video card recently but this problem has been happening for at least a year now.

I'm beginning to think I should start from scratch building a kernel then work outwards to see if I can figure out what caused it. I have multiple computers so I will have something else to use but it is my main PC which is getting a bit annoying. I'm going to have some time off soon where I can spend some time and maybe start from scratch.

I'm beginning to wonder now if I missed something in the kernel when upgrading to 5.15.75 as screen blanking isn't working either...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: