One specific SSID not showing up in NM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abbott
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:45 pm    Post subject: One specific SSID not showing up in NM Reply with quote

I am using NetworkManager and nm-applet to connect to wifi APs. I can see all other APs nearby, including 2.4GHz and 5GHz points, but not the two that my home router are putting out. I can see the two networks on my phone, and I double-checked that it's not an nm-applet issue by using `nmcli dev wifi list` and can not see the APs there either. I am thinking there is maybe some config cruft somewhere causing problems? Why can I not see my home SSIDs?
mns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try

USE="tkip" emerge net-wireless/wpa_supplicant

/etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant restart
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mns: please explain why this is the solution.

Abbott: if enabling TKIP support helps, then that means your wireless network requires using the long deprecated and insecure TKIP. You should reconfigure the wireless network to use a more modern and secure alternative, then disable TKIP.
mns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hu

I’ve noticed that behavior when the flag was removed from defaults on wpa_supplicant. One of my old APs disappeared from wpa_cli scan_results. Setting it back resolved the issue.
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When net-wireless/wpa_supplicant is built without the tkip USE flag it still advertises that it supports tkip and if the router also says it supports tkip and the software will try to check the tkip process which will fail because wpa_supplicant does not support tkip.

When net-wireless/wpa_supplicant is built with the tkip USE flag and the router also supports wpa2 the connection will be made using wpa2.

The best solution is to change the router settings so that it does not support tkip. This may require setting the tkip USE flag so you can connect to the router. After the router settings have been changed remove the tkip USE flaf and rebuild net-wireless/wpa_supplicant

Another solution is to build net-misc/networkmanager with the iwd Use flag. The router settings should still be changed

The last solution is to build net-wireless/wpa_supplicant with the tkip USE flag and not change the router settings.
Abbott
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuilt wpa_supplicant with USE=tkip and saw the network show up again. I logged into the router and changed it to use AES only and then rebuilt wpa_supplicant without TKIP and can now connect without issue. I will keep this in mind in the future if I run into problems connecting to networks. When re-installing wpa_supplicant without TKIP I saw this very relavent warning:

Code:
 * WARNING: You are building with TKIP support disabled, which is recommended since
 * this protocol is deprecated and insecure.  If you still need to connect to
 * TKIP-enabled networks, you may turn this flag back on.  With this flag off,
 * TKIP-enabled networks, including mixed mode TKIP/AES-CCMP will not even show up
 * as available.  If your network is missing you may wish to USE=tkip

Thanks for all the help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: