View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7org5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:07 am    Post subject: Always using KDE Plasma 5.21 on Gentoo. Reply with quote

I love the KDE Plasma 5.21 on latest Kubuntu. I am a bit specific about how i like my KDE to look and behave like.

With Debian it does not look to be possible because of newer debian releases. But as with gentoo we create our own distro, it looks like now i do have a strong reason to build a gentoo distro and maintain it.

Can i always use the same KDE version with Gentoo?
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Unless you never update.
In Gentoo repository the stable version right now is
You might try to mask newer versions but until when will that be feasible?
7org5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@alamahant,

Exactly.

So, the solution for this is to use the sourcecode from KDE Plasma 5.21 and create and maintain my own Desktop Environment. Is this possible?
is it feasible or too much work for 1 person alone?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can grab the old KDE Plasma 5.21.5 ebuilds from before they were dropped from ::gentoo. But then you will quickly learn that there will be runtime regressions or even build failures if these old versions are combined with up to date KDE Frameworks, so you would have to freeze that to some old version not too far away from Plasma 5.21.5 too. But then you will learn that there will be runtime regressions or even build failures if these old versions are combined with up to date Qt library versions. If you revert to an old version of that, too, you will immediately find out that the qt5-build.eclass in ::gentoo repository does not work for it anymore, and that in the meantime the way the PATH symlinks are managed has changed completely, so you'll have to revert that, too. Going forward, you'll see that old version fail to build or run against OpenSSL-3, once that is unmasked, if it even managed to build with an up to date version of GCC in the first place. To maintain that, you will need experience with git and dig into Gentoo ebuild/eclass development.

Multiply that with every external library the above combined packages have. Consider known and unfixed security vulnerabilities in the versions you are running.

My advice: Seriously consider if the minor difference only you may see from 5.21 to an up to date Plasma version is worth all that. If you can't bear with it at all, choose a binary distribution that ships with Plasma 5.21, one that is still security supported.
7org5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
You can grab the old KDE Plasma 5.21.5 ebuilds from before they were dropped from ::gentoo. But then you will quickly learn that there will be runtime regressions or even build failures if these old versions are combined with up to date KDE Frameworks, so you would have to freeze that to some old version not too far away from Plasma 5.21.5 too. But then you will learn that there will be runtime regressions or even build failures if these old versions are combined with up to date Qt library versions. If you revert to an old version of that, too, you will immediately find out that the qt5-build.eclass in ::gentoo repository does not work for it anymore, and that in the meantime the way the PATH symlinks are managed has changed completely, so you'll have to revert that, too. Going forward, you'll see that old version fail to build or run against OpenSSL-3, once that is unmasked, if it even managed to build with an up to date version of GCC in the first place. To maintain that, you will need experience with git and dig into Gentoo ebuild/eclass development.

Multiply that with every external library the above combined packages have. Consider known and unfixed security vulnerabilities in the versions you are running.

My advice: Seriously consider if the minor difference only you may see from 5.21 to an up to date Plasma version is worth all that. If you can't bear with it at all, choose a binary distribution that ships with Plasma 5.21, one that is still security supported.

@asturm,

Exactly what i needed to hear! Someone who knows his stuff.
What you said applies to any DE (Desktop Environment), no matter how simple and small it is, right? It's just too hard to be maintained and kept secure? Specially by 1 person alone?
Does the same apply to a custom really barebones minimal window manager even if it's keyboard focused?
I'm looking to keep productivity to the max, which a window manager may or may not increase. Such an adventure could be an excellent way to improve my skills with development and linux; (which i lack).
Please clear this out? You probably had plenty of hands on experience with this, and learned the time investment is just not worth it...

I don't want to choose a distro that ships with Plasma 5.21.
I want to choose a distro i like!
I am eventually moving to my own custom debian distro from the minimal Net Installer ISO. I will need to find a way to make the Plasma layout how i like using widgets and other stuff every time debian and kde get updated.
There is no other way. And my DE of choice is KDE plasma :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: