Problem when a thread is just about to turn a page
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Problem when a thread is just about to turn a page Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been observing recently, that when a thread is about to turn a page, when you press on the link to the last post of that thread in the forum index, it would display "No posts exist for this topic" error page. The issue resolves as soon as there is a new post to be the first on the next page and reappears again for the last post on the page.

This thread seem to suffer from the same issue: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1158619.html

Regards,
Georgi
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins!

This happens due to an issue where a post gets inserted into a topic without any text in its body (meaning it can not be seen aside from taking a deep dive into the database).

That is, the forums see the amount of posts and figures the topic needs another page, but since one or more posts is effectively invisible, there is nothing to show on the next page.

We sometimes manually remove such "phantom posts" when we bump into them, but rather than actually spend the time to fix the issue, we've been waiting for the upgrade to phpBB3.

So, a known issue, but thank you for reporting!
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the case with the last post on the page, just before a threat turns the next page?
It produces the same result and I personally have written posts just to bypass that issue.
Is that a known issue?

Regards,
Georgi
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I did not misunderstand, that is what I was describing.

Someone in that topic has entered a post that, due to an issue, does not actually get displayed at all, but it is still counted to the total posts of the topic.

Then, when more posts are inserted to the topic, the second page will be eventually created "too soon".

If you like, you can point out such topics and I can take a deep dive to the database and fix it manually (I think you might have had the incorrect link for the topic in your first post, since that one only has 4 posts total?).
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have observed this behaviour when a post from a thread has been deleted (by owner of post). Now, when a thread have reached the number of posts to be in one page, it shows a next page because it counts the deleted post, but there is no post for it.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
As long as I did not misunderstand, that is what I was describing.

Someone in that topic has entered a post that, due to an issue, does not actually get displayed at all, but it is still counted to the total posts of the topic.

Then, when more posts are inserted to the topic, the second page will be eventually created "too soon".

If you like, you can point out such topics and I can take a deep dive to the database and fix it manually (I think you might have had the incorrect link for the topic in your first post, since that one only has 4 posts total?).

pietinger wrote:
I have observed this behaviour when a post from a thread has been deleted (by owner of post). Now, when a thread have reached the number of posts to be in one page, it shows a next page because it counts the deleted post, but there is no post for it.

I got you, thanks for the explanation.

Regards,
Georgi
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:

I believe it should count that correctly and not show the next page then. Perhaps something we should test.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: