anybody got portmaster installed?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: anybody got portmaster installed? Reply with quote

there doesn't seem to be any ebuild for the program from https://safing.io/download/ and since it has autoupdate I figure it doesn't need one. however, still gentoo is different in that you compile your sources, so a binary-install doesn't seem a secure option. anybody working on that? is this a good program in the first place? (goal is firewall and monitoring of ports and IP-addresses...) guess I'll find out soon.
luckily dev-libs/libappindicator and net-libs/libnetfilter_queue are available, now for some way to transform the PKGBUILD for arch into ebuild...
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a few minutes looking at this, and my impression is that they really want you to just download a prebuilt binary and not worry about what's in it. What little source I found seems to be in Golang. If I recall correctly, Golang programs have a nasty habit of expecting to download, build, and statically link their dependencies. While it is possible to write an ebuild for this (and there are many such already), they often end up needing to be generated because of the long list of Go dependencies that the package wants to obtain at build time, which an ebuild needs to download in advance.
62-dfgV5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would love for someone to create a (source) ebuild for this.
Here is some stuff that could maybe be useful.
Portmaster is split into 4 parts. The main portmaster-core executable written in go portmaster-core. This is the application that monitors connections and blocks them according to the set rules.
The portmaster-start executable written in go portmaster-start. This is the executable you are supposed to use to start the others however from my very limited testing this one does not appear to be needed. You can start core itself and it seems to work. start also has update commands to update core and ui however starting core by itself also automatically updates everything so I don't actually know why start is needed?
The ui written with electron portmaster-ui. This could maybe be ignored as you can just use the ui in your normal browser.
And a tray icon notifier also written in go that integrates with the electron ui. This can probably be optional.
Portmaster only has a startup service for systemd.
Other existing github issues that may be of interest to anyone trying to make this work from source: 79 707 1010 882 322
Leonardo.b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto-upgrade, hard to build from source...
I don't trust.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: