View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: KDE taskbar flickering Reply with quote

This KDE bug report pretty much describes what I'm experiencing.

There's a couple of other seemingly related bugs, like non-KDE apps like GKrellM and Strawberry that just stops working, and sometimes even Firefox just hangs and has to be restarted.

It usually helps to reboot, at least for a couple of days.

Like the reporter on KDE bugs, I'm a heavy Firefox user. I'm working with databases via browser interfaces all day long.

I wonder if anybody else here have experienced similar problems, and perhaps found ways to remedy them. From what I see by googling, this is apparently a recurring problem with KDE, although I've never seen it before about this past month. I've been using KDE daily since 2004.
orionbelt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also sometimes experience similar problems while using KDE. Taskbar flickering, Firefox freezing, GKrellM freezing. I suspect that they are caused by interactions with the video card because they usually occur after Zoom sessions or playing videos on Firefox. Luckily in my case, they happen rarely enough and/or they usually go away for a while by restarting GKrellM/Firefox or by "doing things" with the mouse at the taskbar, so they usually do not affect usability in a critical way.

I reported the GKrellM problem a long time ago but no fix has been found, and i did not bother reporting the rest. I think these kinds of bugs are not easy to fix, they depend as much on KDE and Qt as on video cards and how well they follow (or not) OpenGL, on video driver versions, etc. They may "come and go" in semi-random fashions. Once a project gets at this level of complexity (both technical and social), i guess it is hard to keep on top of things without the necessary manpower and without setting the right priorities.

If you are willing to live without the compositor, i found that in my case disabling it often resolves some of these issues or makes them appear more rarely. Good luck, and let us know if you find some other magic solution! :D
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the system has behaved nicely now since my last reboot:

Code:
balapapa ~ # who -b
         system boot  2022-09-18 20:05

The only thing I know that may have had a positive effect, is that I haven't watched much video lately. It may also have gone away with a software update.

I think that it may be related to the video card, as I've never seen it before I plugged in a new Asus RX-6400 (Radeon) this summer. Before that, I used the integrated GPU of my i7 Skylake processor.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: