Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynnmc,

Your scale factor problem is common on small high resolution screens.
I suspect you will need to fix it twice, once for the console and once for the GUI.
I've seen it reported and fixed on the forum but its not a Gentoo specific problem.
Sorry, I can't point you at a fix.

Your wifi, now named wlp166s0 looks good from the kernel point of view. It looks like its sitting there ready to be configured or started.

How do you intend to control the network interfaces?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the console, some of the framebuffer drivers do that. I have 2560x1600 screen and the console is all right with just EFI and VESA VGA drivers enabled. I'm not sure if VESA is really needed, but I'm not keen on experimenting.

Regarding the small things on the Xorg desktop, there's a global font scaling factor which will fix most of it, but it's different for the different DE's. For Gnome you need to set it in Gnome Tweaks.

This might apply only to Wayland: don't go for the scale in the Displays section of Gnome Control Center as it'll just resize a raster image which will result in a blurry fonts and edges.

Regards,
Georgi
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx,

dmesg will show you the console drivers in use. The kernel may switch between drivers as a 'better' driver becomes available.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
logrusx,

dmesg will show you the console drivers in use. The kernel may switch between drivers as a 'better' driver becomes available.

You're right, now I remember seeing efifb taking over and I have no idea why I still keep VESA VGA fb. There was something about it, but I've forgotten it. Maybe I'll compile the next kernel without it and see what happens. Thanks for the reminder!

So to OP's question, try efifb, but you need to also enable SYSFB_SYMPLEFB in Device Drivers -> Firmware Drivers. Grub options you mentioned apply only for Grub.

Regards,
Georgi
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all this extra help -- I didn't know it had now spread to two pages...

Well, I've solved the problem on the console -- though, as Neddy Seagoon points out, it will have to be done again in X.

I found a page in the wiki https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fonts which advised me to install Terminus fonts -- and the largest does the job nicely.

I eventually realized that wlp166s0 not being activated could be due to the module being loaded too late so I created /etc/modules.d/network with "iwlwifi" in it and it was activated ... but it was called wlan0. Who am I to quibble over how it wants to call itself? I change the entries in wpa_supplicant.conf and ... now I have a wifi connection.

It's taken a long time but I feel I already have got my money's worth from the Framework laptop.

Next ... X

Last edited by wynnmc on Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got it figured out. Newer laptops are pain to get them all set up.

wynnmc wrote:

I eventually realized that wlp166s0 not being activated could be due to the module being loaded too late so I created /etc/modules.d/network with "iwlwifi" in it and it was activated ... but it was called wlan0. Who am I to quibble over how it wants to call itself? I change the entries in wpa_supplicant.conf and ... now I have a wifi connection.

That is strange behavior, given that you don't have iwd installed, at least it shouldn't be. What does equery list iwd say? Iwd wants to create it's own interfaces, so it recreates them after udev already has, so if you have iwd installed, it might be the culprit.

Regards,
Georgi
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to logrusx for "equery list" -- I've used "belongs" and "depends" but not "list" and it is a welcome addition to my armoury.... and forgot the important point: there isn't an "iwd" on the machine...

I don't know if this should be a new topic...

I tried to ssh from the Framework to this laptop, a Lenovo, and it wouldn't accept the password.

Eventually I unmerged openssh, deleted /etc/ssh, known_hosts in ~/.ssh and reemerged openssh and it's working.

However, I can't get it to go the other way. I have a number of entries in the Lenovo ~/.ssh/known_hosts that I don't want to lose. I have had no trouble in connecting to other machines and, as far as I can remember, I haven't had to reinstall sshd on any of them.

On the Lenovo, I have deleted the entry in ~/.ssh/known_hosts before trying again but it still doesn't accept the Framework password.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynnmc wrote:
Thanks to logrusx for "equery list" -- I've used "belongs" and "depends" but not "list" and it is a welcome addition to my armoury.... and forgot the important point: there isn't an "iwd" on the machine...

I don't know if this should be a new topic...

I tried to ssh from the Framework to this laptop, a Lenovo, and it wouldn't accept the password.

Eventually I unmerged openssh, deleted /etc/ssh, known_hosts in ~/.ssh and reemerged openssh and it's working.

However, I can't get it to go the other way. I have a number of entries in the Lenovo ~/.ssh/known_hosts that I don't want to lose. I have had no trouble in connecting to other machines and, as far as I can remember, I haven't had to reinstall sshd on any of them.

On the Lenovo, I have deleted the entry in ~/.ssh/known_hosts before trying again but it still doesn't accept the Framework password.

~/.ssh entries are only relevant on the client. You can remove single entries from know_hosts without any issues. But for any case, you could just comment them.

However there are too many cases to consider with so little info. Try going through the SSH page on the Wiki. At least post what's the message when the password is rejected and what are the relevant system logs entries on the server.

p.s. you can use wildcards with equery list, for example equery list */*::repo_name to list all installed packages from a given repo or category-name/* to list all packages from a given category or even dev*/* and things like that.

Regards,
Georgi
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the old key from ~/.ssh/known_hosts and tried again with the "verbose" argument added.

/var/log/secure didn't show anything relevant to the attempt and what came out on the console is:
Code:

$ ssh -v root@framework
OpenSSH_9.0p1, OpenSSL 1.1.1q  5 Jul 2022
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: Authenticator provider $SSH_SK_PROVIDER did not resolve; disabling
debug1: Connecting to framework [192.168.178.139] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_ecdsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_ecdsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_ecdsa_sk type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_ecdsa_sk-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_ed25519 type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_ed25519-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_ed25519_sk type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_ed25519_sk-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_xmss type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_xmss-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_9.0
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_9.0
debug1: compat_banner: match: OpenSSH_9.0 pat OpenSSH* compat 0x04000000
debug1: Authenticating to framework:22 as 'root'
debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /home/username/.ssh/known_hosts2: No such file or directory
debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts: No such file or directory
debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts2: No such file or directory
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: algorithm: sntrup761x25519-sha512@openssh.com
debug1: kex: host key algorithm: ssh-ed25519
debug1: kex: server->client cipher: chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com MAC: <implicit> compression: none
debug1: kex: client->server cipher: chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com MAC: <implicit> compression: none
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_ECDH_REPLY
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_ECDH_REPLY received
debug1: Server host key: ssh-ed25519 SHA256:i+9Ip7KZWCJd2m/8Urjob8K/Zgeoj8YHUveyc9K3w7E
debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /home/username/.ssh/known_hosts2: No such file or directory
debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts: No such file or directory
debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts2: No such file or directory
debug1: Host 'framework' is known and matches the ED25519 host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/username/.ssh/known_hosts:9
debug1: rekey out after 134217728 blocks
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: rekey in after 134217728 blocks
debug1: get_agent_identities: bound agent to hostkey
debug1: get_agent_identities: ssh_fetch_identitylist: agent contains no identities
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/username/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/username/.ssh/id_ecdsa
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/username/.ssh/id_ecdsa_sk
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/username/.ssh/id_ed25519
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/username/.ssh/id_ed25519_sk
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/username/.ssh/id_xmss
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/username/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: SSH2_MSG_EXT_INFO received
debug1: kex_input_ext_info: server-sig-algs=<ssh-ed25519,sk-ssh-ed25519@openssh.com,ssh-rsa,rsa-sha2-256,rsa-sha2-512,ssh-dss,ecdsa-sha2-nistp256,ecdsa-sha2-nistp384,ecdsa-sha2-nistp521,sk-ecdsa-sha2-nistp256@openssh.com,webauthn-sk-ecdsa-sha2-nistp256@openssh.com>
debug1: kex_input_ext_info: publickey-hostbound@openssh.com=<0>
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
debug1: Trying private key: /home/username/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home/username/.ssh/id_ecdsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home/username/.ssh/id_ecdsa_sk
debug1: Trying private key: /home/username/.ssh/id_ed25519
debug1: Trying private key: /home/username/.ssh/id_ed25519_sk
debug1: Trying private key: /home/username/.ssh/id_xmss
debug1: Trying private key: /home/username/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
(root@framework) Password:
I've changed the name of the machine and my username...

It looks to me if it is just rejecting the password although I put it in character by character while reading it from a piece of paper...
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynnmc wrote:
I removed the old key from ~/.ssh/known_hosts and tried again with the "verbose" argument added.

/var/log/secure didn't show anything relevant to the attempt and what came out on the console is:
Code:

$ ssh -v root@framework
I've changed the name of the machine and my username...

It looks to me if it is just rejecting the password although I put it in character by character while reading it from a piece of paper...

By default, root access via ssh is only valid using a ssh key (public key saved to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys). Passwords are denied for security reasons. This can be changed in the machine's /etc/ssh/sshd_config and restarting sshd, but not recommended particularly with internet access.
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I suddenly realized that I'd changed this some time ago -- I thought it would be OK as they are only ever accessed via the home network.

I checked the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file on the other machine and added the line
Code:
PermitRootLogin yes
which the config file has here and restarted sshd ... but, nothing has changed...

I've compared (diff) this file on each machine and they are the same.

Perhaps I'll have to go back to spreading public keys around again...
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousand apologies -- I was altering .ssh/known_hosts on username not root :oops:

Now it's working.

Thanks for all the help.

Chris
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now on to X, I checked the requirements for the kernel config given in the wiki guide to X, I emerged x11-base/xorg-server and then, as it failed because there were no fonts installed, I emerged x11-base/xorg-x11.

Running startx failed with an error saying the module didn't support 4626 and I found a solution on the internet by removing i915 and then running
Code:
insmod /lib/modules/5.15.69-gentoo-dist/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko i915.force_probe=4626
and it then worked ... but there was no window manager.

I jumped in the deep end and installed xfce4 and it worked -- but only when started as root ... but that's a tale for another day.

This morning I ran an update which had new versions of these packages: x11-base/xorg-drivers, x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel, x11-libs/pixman and x11-libs/libdrm and now it no longer works.

The relevant parts (I think) of /var/log/Xorg.0.log are:
Code:
(EE) dbus-core: error connecting to system bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound (Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory)

(II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
LoadModule: "vesa"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)

intel: waited 2020 ms for i915.ko driver to load

(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
(II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
(EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.
(EE) Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)

The errors for fbdev and vesa really seem to be warnings and I can't imagine why it waited for i915.ko to load, it was already loaded ... could it be reloading it?
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies again -- I was reading a post "Unable to start graphical session Xfce" and saw that the OP had loaded x-11-drivers/fbdev and x11-drivers/vesa ... and I thought "I could do that"... I did and now Xfce4 is working.

I tried with x11-wm/twm first and came across the same problem I had long ago: how do you get out of it?

wynnmc
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke too soon -- the screen comes up with the icons on it but mouse clicks don't have any effect -- neither from the touchpad nor from a real mouse.

I will remove fbdev and vesa...

Back to the coal-face...
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynnmc wrote:
I spoke too soon -- the screen comes up with the icons on it but mouse clicks don't have any effect -- neither from the touchpad nor from a real mouse.

I will remove fbdev and vesa...

Back to the coal-face...

fbdev drivers have nothing to do with that. See if this can help. Don't mind the language, just follow the configuration.

Regards,
Georgi
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that's wonderful -- I actually had problems with an X1-carbon.

I can extend my German into computer territory...

Thanks, logrusx
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the entry in .config for i2c and it was there as a module CONFIG_MOUSE_SYNAPTICS_I2C=m -- the help also said that it will not work with the X11 Synaptics driver as it only reports relative coordinates.

However, when I emerged x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics the mouse started working with xfce4.

There was still a problem: it worked running as root but not as user:
Code:
Fatal server error:
(EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (Permission denied)

but an Internet search came up with a Gentoo wiki page "Non_root_Xorg" and I saw that elogind needed to be started at boot. When this was done, xfce4 ran for my user.

When I started this installation I found so many unexpected hurdles to jump over that I wasn't sure if I would ever get this far but thanks to all the help you have given me I've done it.

Thank you all very much.

wynnmc
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynnmc wrote:

When I started this installation I found so many unexpected hurdles to jump over that I wasn't sure if I would ever get this far but thanks to all the help you have given me I've done it.

Thank you all very much.

wynnmc

You're welcome.

Everybody with fairly new hardware goes through that, including me last winter.

Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: