[solved] Black CEF, Steam Client unusable
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c00l.wave
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: [solved] Black CEF, Steam Client unusable Reply with quote

I try to run Steam with:

Code:

STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=1 STEAM_RUNTIME=0 /usr/bin/steam

This has worked for me until about 2 weeks ago when, after both a world update and a Steam client self-update, Steam lost the ability to render web pages via CEF. As Steam makes extensive use of HTML (not only the store but also the library and the chat function are "websites") the client is almost completely unusable at the moment as I cannot manage the installed games or updates. Only the navigation on the main window is functional but actual content is just a black rectangle. The friends list window does not open at all.

I used to run Steam with STEAM_RUNTIME=1 for a long time until some months ago when, after a self-update (probably coinciding with the release of Ubuntu 22.04), the Steam client always crashed on startup. There's no useful debug output to explain what's wrong (only "!bSharedKVSymbols" but no details), so I had to switch to STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=1 STEAM_RUNTIME=0 instead.

Switching to the Steam beta client does not work either; using the runtime still crashes and not using it still renders black boxes in place of CEF. Resetting the client also doesn't help.

From what I could find via Google, enforcing some system libraries like freetype with LD_PRELOAD should sometimes help, however I seem to be unable to use LD_PRELOAD with Steam (somehow the ELF class always mismatches, regardless of whether I try to load 32 or 64 bit libraries).

Does anybody else have similar issues? Is there a known fix to these issues?

Last edited by c00l.wave on Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
c00l.wave
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's funny is that once again I figure out the solution just when I (after weeks, finally) ask for help in a forum...

There's actually a log file logs/steamwebhelper.log which in my case (with STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=1 STEAM_RUNTIME=0) showed that I was missing "libibus". Installing app-i18n/ibus fixed the black CEF widgets. I'm already using games-util/steam-client-meta from steam-overlay but (from before I had to change to STEAM_RUNTIME=0) it still had the USE flag steamruntime enabled. Disabling that flag also installs app-i18n/ibus as a dependency. PEBKAC :roll:

For longevity it surely would be better to return to STEAM_RUNTIME=1 but there still does not seem to be any information on what's missing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: