Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Switching between X and Wayland on boot?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatFourtyTwo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:03 am    Post subject: Switching between X and Wayland on boot? Reply with quote

I'm currently using a Budgie overlay from a private repo, but the stuff from the Wayland Desktop overlay looks pretty cool, and I want to try it out. Budgie does not have Wayland support.

How would I change my system to start Wayland on boot (and get it back to X after that)? I'm assuming that there's a file somewhere in /etc/conf.d somewhere, but after my experience yesterday, I'm very reluctant to go poking around in system files without knowing what I'm doing.

I know you change the display manager by having OpenRC start the display manager service at the default runlevel, and you can modify which display manager it uses by modifying the text file in /etc/conf.d/display-manager, but the process for loading an X DE vs a Wayland DE is less clear to me. But seems like it would be a bit more complicated than that.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pick either Wayland or X11 session in the display manager.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Switching between X and Wayland on boot? Reply with quote

FatFourtyTwo wrote:
I know you change the display manager by having OpenRC start the display manager service at the default runlevel, and you can modify which display manager it uses by modifying the text file in /etc/conf.d/display-manager, but the process for loading an X DE vs a Wayland DE is less clear to me. But seems like it would be a bit more complicated than that.

It's actually easier than that! Whether you get Wayland or X is merely a choice of start command in your terminal session. For example, I've both Wayland and X installed on my box, which has a KDE desktop and uses SDDM as displaymanager. On boot, it puts up an SDDM logon screen - SDDM is an X application - and you can choose, via a spin-button on the bottom left of the screen, that the session you log into will be either Plasma-X11 or Plasma-Wayland.

FWIW I'm thinking of dumping SDDM, and using a bash profile that starts terminal, X or Wayland according to the tty number I use to log in. Losing SDDM means I think KDE won't switch users for me, so I'll have to go to the more complex method of typing Ctl+Alt+Fn :-)
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and using a bash profile that starts terminal

That's more or less how I do it. I boot to the TTY console and log in. After that, I start my desktop environment using a couple of start scripts:
  1. startx - starts XFCE (my main DE)
  2. start_sway - starts Sway
  3. start_weston - starts Weston
  4. ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: