(moved to talk)Draft Virtualization/QEMU/Virt-manager wiki
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egberts
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:43 am    Post subject: (moved to talk)Draft Virtualization/QEMU/Virt-manager wiki Reply with quote

After perusing the entire Gentoo WIki on Virtualization/QEMU/Virt-manager/Guest/Linux setup wiki, I find that the continuity between components to be rather quirky and lacking suitable jump points to where a reader wants to go next.

To minimize the jumble, I am submitting a propsal on the granularity of the breakdown on virtualization and generically organized into nestable computer architecture:

* Virtualization
** Virtualizer Engines (QEMU/Xen/VMware)
*** Front-End to Virtualizer Engines (GUI and CLI)
**** Creating guest using a Front-End
***** Installing an OS into the guest

Within in my User:Egbert/Drafts, I've done a bit of reorganizing by outline and started to move things toward a common thread as outlined above.

The following pages are being roughly reorganized so that we can be able to take on multiple variants of guest target (Windows/Linux/BSD) as well as different virtualization engines (Docker/QEMU/LXD/Xen/Podman).

As a demonstration of fluidity of nested computer virtualization, I'm starting my outline with just the QEMU/KVM/virt-manager/Linux guest/Gentoo OS.

A prototype of Wiki pages to support Virtualization components are:

* Virtualization
* QEMU]QEMU
* QEMU/QEMU front-ends for configuration tools or commands toward the creation and maintenance of virtual machines.
* Virt-manager
* virt-manager/QEMU guest
* QEMU/Linux guest
* Comparison of virtual machine

Of course, my objective is more about trying to help us (the community members) decide what to choose and where to go next for Virtualization[/i].

Warning: I am still grappling on some finer nuances of Gentoo Wiki here. (be nice to see a compressable outline in the See also section

Last edited by egberts on Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
egberts
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy Seagoon (Gentoo site maintainer) suggested that all discussion of this thread be done at the Installation guide talk page. (awaiting a response to exactly which talk page).

Will post a link when an URL response is received

[Edited] Now assuming this URL: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Talk:Installation
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: