View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fulgurance
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Question about wayland and nvidia Reply with quote

Hello, I would like to ask a question today. Actually, is it possible to use a wayland session with the proprietary nvidia drivers ? Because of security, and performance as well, when it will be possible to use my nvidia graphics with the propriety driver, I will swithc to wayland.

I know actually it's possible in Fedora (I tried already)

(I use KDE)
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run gnome 42 on nvidia, wayland. and I ran kde-plasma under wayland and it worked well.
the only discomfort is that after any kernel compilation need to issue emerge -av @module-rebuild
both kde-plasma and gnome with wayland can be a daily driver
Fulgurance
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay ! And no special configurations are needed ? Because I have a laptop with intel graphics cards+ nvidia dedicated GPU
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing special. Everything by default.
Code:
USE="networkmanager vaapi wayland screencast -semantic-desktop"
Default profiles desktop/plasma or desktop/plasma/systemd – depends on init system

I run a laptop with nvidia prime. The only thing is that I observe problems with suspend when nvidia card is present in system and init system is openrc. Did not observe with systemd. That's why I created two boot options, one default with nvidia's pci turned off (so the system does not even know about it) – this is for work, watching films, reading books – activities where the lid can be closed\opened several times a day; and the second boot entry does not delete the card – this is for games (games usually do not require suspend functionality).
So, by default nvidia card is absent in my system (not visible in lspci), and I can be sure it will not make a surprise when for example, I'm working
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvidia gave a list of caveats, but it generally works for simple setups (may need to fiddle a bit more if want to use something like wlroots/sway rather than gnome/kde which are more serious about nvidia support, given speaking of KDE it should generally be fine).

and yep, as long as got USE=wayland and VIDEO_CARDS=nvidia (which is used to enable nvidia-specific wayland stuff on a few packages, but not super important now that it can use GBM) it should just work out of the box if there's nothing special about the system (e.g. some dual gpu / offloading setups), gnome/gdm even defaults to wayland even with nvidia then.
Fulgurance
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to come back to this old topic, but I didn't specifiy I would like to start a wayland session on KDE desktop with Optimus.

Actually if I start a wayland session, KDE use only the intel graphic card.

How I should do ?

I would like to use the proprietary graphics cards driver of NVIDIA

Ingenius Software Manager is a tool to build and manage a Linux system from scratch.
It will able to manage a linux installation just with a given path to the futur root path
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: