can't connect to my wifi
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbiegenuser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: can't connect to my wifi Reply with quote

Yesterday I did my first gentoo install. Everything went smoothly but the only thing I couldn't do was connect to my wifi. I had to use an ethernet cable. I went through the wiki. I did exactly how it told me to but nothing worked out. After my gentoo installation I added network manager and listed the wifi networks i could connect to. My home WiFi's ssid was not shown instead of my ssid i was given two dashes "--". The only ssid i couldn't see was my home wifi's. My wifi has wpa/wpa2 psk enabled. I went to my router settings made it open and boom now i can connect to my internet. I have no idea why this is happening. Help.

Last edited by newbiegenuser on Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: can't connect to my wifi Reply with quote

newbiegenuser wrote:
Yesterday i did my first gentoo install. Everything went smoothly but the only thing i couldn't do was connect to my wifi. I had to use an Ethernet cable. I went through the wiki did exactly how it told me to but nothing worked. After gentoo installation added network manager and listed my the wifi networks i could connect too. My home WiFi's ssid was not shown instead of my ssid i was given two dashes "--". The only ssid i couldn't see was my home wifi's. My home wifi has wpa/wpa2 psk encryption i went to my router settings made so that there is no encryption and boom now i can connect to my internet. I have no idea why this is happening. I want encryption enabled. Help.

With the latest wpa_supplicant, it disabled "WPA" security via the tkip USE flag. This is different from "WPA2" security which is still on by default. The reasoning is that the original "WPA" is deemed obsolete.

Either:
  • Enable WPA2-PSK only in the router
  • Enable the tkip USE on net-wireless/wpa-supplicant to use the older WPA function of the router
newbiegenuser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much <3.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: