Can't get origin games to launch
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prestige787
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:23 am    Post subject: Can't get origin games to launch Reply with quote

I'm having an issue where I am unable to get any game running through steam to launch if it needs the origin launcher. For example, Jedi fallen order and Battlefront 2 do not launch (Origin doesn't even show up). All other games work just fine, I just can't get origin to work. I launched steam through command line, the only errors I noticed were a whole bunch of

ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process xxxx

and a few:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.

However, these messages appear when launching games that do run too, so I have no idea if they are at all related to the issue. I installed steam from the steam-overlay using layman, and my system is fully up to date (~amd64). I have also tried multiple different kernel to no success, including a zen-kernel. Any help appreciated.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried moving/wiping the wine bottle associated with the game to force an origin re-install?
Irets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used Wine for Origin, but it works alright with Proton-6.15-GE.2 on my system.
Floating layout must be used on dwm, or the Origin window will not appear, or will be completely black.

This is the script that I use to launch Origin:
Code:
STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH="$HOME/.local/share/Steam" STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH="$HOME/Games/Origin/proton/" "$HOME/.steam/steam/compatibilitytools.d/Proton-6.15-GE-2/proton" run "proton/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Origin/OriginThinSetupInternal.exe"

If proton/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Origin/OriginThinSetupInternal.exe doesn't already exist for you, you need to point the command to Origin's installer for it to populate your Proton prefix.
After it has done installing, use paths used in my script above to launch Origin.

I just tested and confirmed that at least Battlefield 4 & Battlefield V launch fine.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irets wrote:
I haven't used Wine for Origin, but it works alright with Proton-6.15-GE.2 on my system.

Proton is wine mate, the /whatever/SteamLibrary/compatdata/(app id)/pfx is the bottle (or prefix).
I had an issue with Origin when proton went from 5.x to 6.x, but on now using 7.x it works again, but had to clean the bottle first. I'm not blaming the 6.x version though, it's more likely a general problem with Origin during that time, and I'm just using wine version as a timescale.
prestige787
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried wiping the wine bottle but might try tomorrow, kind of doubt this will fix it as this is a fresh install. I'm using sway, so yes I think I do need to force origin to float. The problem is, I'm not sure if I can do that without knowing it's app id, and if it's not opening so I don't know how to get the app id. I don't have the compatibilitytools.d directory at all, not sure why, but I'll try to tinker around with it some more.
Irets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prestige787 wrote:
I don't have the compatibilitytools.d directory at all, not sure why

The folder is not present by default.
That's the place to unpack your non-Steam Proton releases (ie. the GE builds of Proton, for example), but that's not crucial for handling non-Steam programs/games.

If you have installed Proton versions from within Steam, the paths to their binaries will probably be .../steamapps/common/Proton <version>/proton

Wine-GE also exists, which might be better for running non-Steam stuff, but I have personally used Proton-GE.
prestige787
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, so I ran the script with these changes:

Code:
STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH="$HOME/.local/share/Steam" STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH="/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/1237950/" "/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton" run "proton/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Origin/OriginThinSetupInternal.exe"

And bash didn't return any errors or messages, and nothing happened, which is a bit odd. I also tried to force all window to float, and origin still did not launch, really not sure what else I can do.

EDIT: I forced the use of an older version of Proton in steam, and this finally got the origin window to appear. Unfortunately, halfway through the install it crashes, opens a white window for a few seconds and then crashes again.
shaumux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you upgrade to gcc-12?
There's an issue with seam and glibc compiled with gcc-12
It's reported here https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/8302
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaumux wrote:
Did you upgrade to gcc-12?
There's an issue with seam and glibc compiled with gcc-12
It's reported here https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/8302

See https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/8302#issuecomment-1214414949. Affected users should set USE=stack-realign on glibc.
netfab
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
Affected users should set USE=stack-realign on glibc.

About this there's also something on the wiki⁽¹⁾.
I confirm that this fix segfault crash⁽²⁾ with Team Fortress 2 here.

1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam/Games_troubleshooting#Half-Life_2
2. https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Source-1-Games/issues/3885
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

netfab wrote:
sam_ wrote:
Affected users should set USE=stack-realign on glibc.

About this there's also something on the wiki⁽¹⁾.
I confirm that this fix segfault crash⁽²⁾ with Team Fortress 2 here.

1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam/Games_troubleshooting#Half-Life_2
2. https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Source-1-Games/issues/3885

Thanks. I'll update the wiki too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: