Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 5)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
It looks much better now, not much left that blocks the initial emerge world process.

I took a closer look and I now have a verdict. :wink:

Elleni wrote:
Looking forward. :)

On a more technical note, I essentially only guarantee clean emerge output if you immediately activate the project overlays on a freshly extracted stage 3 tarball. If you diverge from this then I assume you can resolve the use-case specific blockers on your own because there's often nothing to do on my end.

This time though, I think I see a way to make dependency resolution for this particular blocker easier on those who activated the project overlays later.

Sync up and see if it worked.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are my hero, dantrell thanks a lot. I understand you cannot guarantee more than a clean emerge from a freshly extracted stage3. I indeed was thinking about to ask how I could have fixed this myself, probably by emerge -1 of some package(s)? But then again I wanted to avoid a try and error approach so thanks again for your valuable support! Let me check how it works. Mhm, still some blockers but I think we are making progress. Let me know if I can provide useful info like the world file, or something.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Let me know if I can provide useful info like the world file, or something.

The world file would indeed be one of the components that'd help me reproduce your list of installed packages so I'd be able to trigger your blockers.

But I'd have to build it first and I don't currently have that kind of time. :?

Elleni wrote:
Let me check how it works. Mhm, still some blockers but I think we are making progress.

What I can guess at though is that you (at the very least) installed a newer version of GNOME (as provided by Gentoo) first and are now activating the project overlays.

It should work in theory but is probably a bit problematic in practice.

Elleni wrote:
I indeed was thinking about to ask how I could have fixed this myself, probably by emerge -1 of some package(s)?

In this particular instance, instead of oneshot'ing packages into the system, you need to yeet everything that's complaining out and then attempt updating @world again:

Code:
emerge --ask --unmerge dev-libs/atk app-accessibility/at-spi2-atk net-libs/webkit-gtk media-libs/gegl app-text/poppler
emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y @world

That should provide clarity (probably). :o
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt install gnome yet, just some components like gparted - thus following the world file - just for info:
http://dpaste.com/59EY333DR

Here is the emerge output after unmerged the complaining packages:
https://pastebin.com/Ti4zvuba
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
I didnt install gnome yet, just some components like gparted - thus following the world file - just for info: [...]

As it was said in the days of yore, installing a GNOME component pulls in GNOME without GNOME. :o

Elleni wrote:
Here is the emerge output after unmerged the complaining packages: [...]

Just one more change needed looks like.

Sync up and you should be good to go (in theory).
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're getting there, in theory :D
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
We're getting there, in theory :D

The WebKitGTK 4.1 slot is something I'm still reviewing so it doesn't exist (yet) on my end. Even so, you have a few options:
  1. You can specifically let the Gentoo version of that package:slot through. Any conflicts will be for you to discover when it attempts to build/install.

2. You can downgrade games-util/lutris-0.5.12 to 0.5.11 which use the WebKitGTK 4 slot that does exist on my end.

3. You can uninstall Lutris (goodnight sweet prince).
I'd go with option #2, just to quickly check things.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even went with option 3 to quickly check, to re-install it later, the result:
https://pastebin.com/nFbMseJx

GN8. At your service for testing. Still trying to find out how you identified lutris from the provided emerge output to learn while being helped. :)
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Even went with option 3 to quickly check, to re-install it later, the result: [...]

A new error is progress, means the old one was resolved (probably).

Corrected this one on my end too so sync up and yada yada.

Elleni wrote:
Still trying to find out how you identified lutris from the provided emerge output to learn while being helped. :)

After a while, the emerge output just becomes readable (especially if you are familiar with all the moving points).

Sometimes it lies though and you have to be persuasive. :wink:

Most of your blockers now are dependency and keyword related. Both types of which could be worked around on your end but since it doesn't affect only you I have been resolving them on mine.

Thanks for the reports by the way, until next session.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvw. In the meantime - as I thought you went sleeping, I emerged lutris-0.5.11 as you suggested. However - seing your last post, I resynced, tried (and failed) again :P
Tried to keep unstable packages at a minimum - my accepted keywords file reads
Code:
# needed by anydesk
=x11-libs/gtkglext-1.2.0-r5::gentoo ~amd64
=net-misc/anydesk-6.2.0-r1::gentoo ~amd64

media-video/obs-studio ~amd64
=net-voip/zoiper-5.3.8::test ~amd64
=net-misc/teamviewer-15.34.4::gentoo ~amd64
=net-im/zoom-5.13.0.599::gentoo ~amd64
=games-util/lutris-0.5.11::gentoo ~amd64
=net-print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-bin-1.1.59::escpr2 ~amd64
media-gfx/iscan ~amd64
net-misc/icaclient ~amd64
=net-voip/zoiper-5.5.14::test ~amd64
# needed by wine
app-emulation/wine-staging ~amd64
app-emulation/wine-mono ~amd64

app-misc/radeontop ~amd64
app-backup/mkstage4 ~amd64

If useful, I can pastebin package.use too, as the atk thingy is back. No hurry though, if you prefer looking at it at a later stage, I'd happily wait.

https://pastebin.com/4D7vHyut

It's me who thanks YOU for the time I stole from you already, feels embarassing
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
No hurry though, if you prefer looking at it at a later stage, I'd happily wait.

I had to come back to elaborate on this one...

I checked and some packages are now hard-depending on:

Code:
>=app-accessibility/at-spi2-core-2.46.0:2

which is a problem for the project overlays since that particular version is paired with GNOME 43 which isn't available on my end yet. However, even if GNOME 43 was available on my end, this change is wrong because (1) those packages don't actually hard-depend on the new qualifier, and (2) enforcing the new qualifier breaks compatibility with older GNOME release versions.

The correct qualifier would look something like this:

Code:
|| ( >=app-accessibility/at-spi2-core-2.46.0:2 >=dev-libs/atk-2.8.0 )

What I'm going to have to do on my end is turn >=app-accessibility/at-spi2-core-2.46.0:2 into a metapackage that provides that qualifier and name the real package something else. :roll:

You'll have to wait for me to tackle this next session but it'll only take a couple hours of work, tops.

You could work around this issue now but it'll involve removing every package that doesn't use the correct qualifier (personally, I'd just wait a bit longer).

There's also another solution but I don't want to encourage that one.

Stay tuned.

Edit: Sync up and you should be good to go.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, but still in dependency hell. :oops:
https://pastebin.com/p1D4bv5J

If it would be easier I would unmerge some packages - at least temporarily it this could help. But which ones ? chromium, firefox, thunderbird, zoiper, britty, zoom, orca, anydesk?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Done, but still in dependency hell. :oops:

It only looks like that, don't be deceived.

Elleni wrote:
If it would be easier I would unmerge some packages - at least temporarily it this could help. But which ones ? chromium, firefox, thunderbird, zoiper, britty, zoom, orca, anydesk?

In theory, it shouldn't be a GNOME package and it's not any of these either:

Code:
anydesk
chromium
firefox
icaclient
opera
thunderbird
zoom

I passed those along with gnome and plasma-meta and got clean emerge output for a new install:

Code:
Total: 1146 packages (59 upgrades, 3 downgrades, 1031 new, 5 in new slots, 48 reinstalls, 3 uninstalls), Size of downloads: 3,057,499 KiB

While I didn't check zoiper (which seems to be from an overlay?), I expect similar results.

I only checked this to make sure that clean emerge output was possible with those packages. Since it is, what's probably happening is that something is interfering with the automatic dependency resolution, after all, the error was quite specific about the blocker. So, let's take care of the imposter and and then check again:

Code:
emerge --ask --unmerge app-accessibility/at-spi2-core
emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y @world

Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time portage told me to change package use, which I did - but maybe shouldn't have? Still some probs, but I thing we are getting somewhere.
https://pastebin.com/0VNKggaA
https://pastebin.com/jFXhUzBU

Last edited by Elleni on Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has to be realized is that with version 2.46.0, app-accessibility/at-spi2-atk was merged into app-accessibility/at-spi2-core and app-accessibility/at-spi2-core-base is gone and lots of things are expecting this to occur.

I don't believe that the overlay's "hold" mask is helping at this point.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
What has to be realized is that with version 2.46.0, app-accessibility/at-spi2-atk was merged into app-accessibility/at-spi2-core and app-accessibility/at-spi2-core-base is gone and lots of things are expecting this to occur.

I am aware.

grknight wrote:
I don't believe that the overlay's "hold" mask is helping at this point.

However, this project provides the ability to switch between GNOME release versions.

By default it delivers the state of each GNOME release version as it was released by upstream. This means if you install GNOME 3.16 you will get at-spi2-core-2.16.0 which should make it obvious why a package hard depending on at-spi2-core-2.46.0 would possibly be problematic.

My personal opinion, GNOME packages aside, is that dependencies should be accurate even if their targeted versions no longer exist in the main tree. This at least causes one less issue for downstream consumers.

I have nothing further to add regarding this.

Elleni wrote:
This time portage told me to change package use, which I did - but maybe shouldn't have? Still some probs, but I thing we are getting somewhere.

I think I forgot to account for ABI changes, let me check a couple things real quick.

Edit: Sync up and you should be good to go.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think now you nailed it. There still is a depconflict about harfbuzz and libpng, but portage would just skip it and proposes to continue.
https://pastebin.com/a88Lbdgx

Should I go for it or do we fix those too? In every case thanks for your passionate and wonderfull support which can't be appreciated enough.

Last edited by Elleni on Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
I think now you nailed it.

All according to plan.

Elleni wrote:
There still is a depconflict about harfbuzz and libpng, but portage would just skip it and proposes to continue.

I don't have libpng or harfbuzz forked so those two are on your end.

Elleni wrote:
Should I go for it or do we fix those too?

At first glance, I'm not sure what the issue is and it's about time to call it a day. I'll likely take another look next session.

I say go for it. Less noise obfuscating issues will be helpful. Note, you might need to pass --keep-going one or two times.

Elleni wrote:
In every case thanks for your passionate and wonderfull support which can't be appreciated enough.

No problem. ;)
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following the resulting build failures' logs:
http://0x0.st/oRCl.log
http://dpaste.com/BCRTNYV32
http://dpaste.com/FT4EQFVED
https://dpaste.com/2ZUEWYASW
http://0x0.st/oRCd.log
http://dpaste.com/B2NWVEX37

And the remaining ebuilds to update:
https://pastebin.com/L67h3zhB
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Following the resulting build failures' logs: [...]

Oh, time for the pre-session update, I--

Elleni wrote:
And the remaining ebuilds to update: [...]

So first, I'm going to have to spin up a GNOME 42 test install so I can try to reproduce the non-obvious issues.

As for the obvious issues, with dev-libs/libgpg-error it looks like the original tarball changed, which is odd since I have the same one from November 2022. I'm going to compare the tarballs to see what's going on here.

And with x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme it looks like the distfiles were deleted from Gentoo, which makes sense since they deleted the ebuild too. Easy enough to resolve.

Stay tuned.

Apparently, I picked a bad day to improve my release building/virtualisation tool.

Edit: The dev-libs/libgpg-error package tarball is fine but the signature file is not. Corrected but not yet live.

Edit: What x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme actually wants is the tarball for the previous release version. Corrected but not yet live.

Edit: And dev-lang/spidermonkey is because of Python 11. Resolving this should resolve sys-auth/polkit too. Corrected but not yet live.

Edit: Turns out gnome-base/librsvg is due to Schrödinger's cat. Once you reproduce the build failure, you will no longer able to reproduce it. As such, this is accounted for (instead of corrected) but not yet live.

Edit: Finally gnome-base/gnome-control-center is failing to build against an older version of ModemManager that meets upstream's minimum. Corrected but not yet live.

Edit: Sync up and you should be good to go. Today was a good day. :wink:
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it was. Appart from the adwaita icon theme download still 404 ing and the two skipped ones (harfbuzz and libpng) everything went fine on the initial world update after profile selection, so I went on and started the emerge gnome process. The only thing that portage complained was to add vala useflag to x11-misc/colord :tup:
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Appart from the adwaita icon theme download still 404 ing [...]

Oh, there were two 404s in that build failure log? I'll check again in a bit.

P.S. I took the time to summarize the cause of the build failures, so you can reference it against your build failure logs and the git commits that resolved it. Since you mentioned wanting to learn while being helped.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Gnome and its dependencies all compiled fine, besides the ones mentioned. So I can happily report gnome42 is up and running. By the way I had to unmask gnome-extra/gnome-browser-connector, as browsing to extensions.gnome.org indicates
Quote:
Your native host connector do not support following APIs: v6. Probably you should upgrade native host connector or install plugins for missing APIs
I needed my wobbling windows back thus first thing I had to check :lol:

P.S. I'd happily profit from it if you dare showing me your summary. Trying to take care of harfbuzz and libpng by unmerging chromium and libreoffice and emerge -av1 of the former, then re-emerging the latter
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Appart from the adwaita icon theme download still 404 ing [...]

dantrell wrote:
Oh, there were two 404s in that build failure log? I'll check again in a bit.

The missing download is no longer an active competitor in the (international) Hide and Seek World Championship.

Elleni wrote:
By the way I had to unmask gnome-extra/gnome-browser-connector [...]

The latest version was available but slotted in ~ (I went ahead and stabilized it).

Elleni wrote:
So I can happily report gnome42 is up and running.

Good to hear.

Elleni wrote:
[...] all compiled fine, besides the ones mentioned.

Elleni wrote:
Trying to take care of harfbuzz and libpng by unmerging chromium and libreoffice and emerge -av1 of the former, then re-emerging the latter

Also, I investigated libpng and harfbuzz and they are easily resolved.

First up, chromium wants apng USE flag on libpng disabled. If you want/need apng support in libpng, there's an easy way to make chromium stop complaining. However, Gentoo has made changes which assume apng support for libpng will be dropped. For details, see Gentoo bug #824018.

I haven't decided whether to account for Gentoo's changes yet so just account for it on your end accordingly:

/etc/portage/package.use:
media-libs/libpng -apng

Finally, harfbuzz is because of circular dependency prevention (for new installs) on my end. You are supposed to reverse those afterwards on your end as needed:

/etc/portage/package.use:
media-libs/harfbuzz graphite

Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-emerging chromium and libreoffice, portage lead me to the same instructions (-apng for libpng and graphite for harfbuzz). So I guess once this baby is fixed we will finally have reached the finish line. :D

Last edited by Elleni on Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: