Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 5)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 5) Reply with quote

Important: Official Gentoo support for GNOME without systemd is provided here.

———————————————————————————————————————————

Given the existence of official Gentoo support, the GNOME Without Systemd project nowadays survives on its secondary purpose which is to allow switching between GNOME release versions. As such:
  • if you always want the latest and great GNOME release, use Gentoo's version; but
  • if you want the ability to switch between GNOME release versions and access to optional patches, use the project's version.
Do keep in mind however that overlays, by design, are second class citizens and will always play catch up with the main tree (which means previously working ebuilds will often result in emerge issues).

Does every GNOME release version provided by the project still build?

Yes (as of 19 Apr 2022), GNOME 3.14 through GNOME 42 are confirmed to be build passing with GCC 11.

What's the lifecycle policy given that 16 releases of GNOME are currently being maintained?

Security Advisories aside, True™ EOL happens when:
  • Chromium (and by extension Google Chrome) and Firefox no longer builds/runs under a particular GNOME release version; and/or
  • changes in Gentoo requires another overlay with "middleware" ebuilds (e.g. the removal of Python 2.7)
With that in mind, the current lifecycle stages are as follows:
  • 3.14 through 3.24 are considered "eol" (these versions require a "middleware" overlay)
  • 3.26 through 3.32 have been marked "sunsetting" (these versions received less upstream bugfixes)
  • 3.34 through 3.38 have transitioned to "longterm"
  • 40 mirrors its upstream label of "oldstable"
  • 41 mirrors its upstream label of "stable"
  • 42 mirrors its upstream label of "newstable"
How long will you continue to support the project?

Unofficial long-term-support will continue for as long as I use GNOME.

Have the previously mentioned project architecture concerns been addressed?

Yes.

————

TL;DR

Continued from Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 4) and rolled over the sticky
-- NeddySeagoon

saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently on Gentoo's oficial repo, so not using the overlays, but I thought I might share some of my experience with the recent Gnome 42 upgrade:

Random freezes
I was getting really long random freezes everywhere (multiple seconds). System would stay "alive", but the UI was just 100% frozen. Mouse was moving, but I couldn't do anything. Sometimes even the mouse froze.

Gentoo upgraded sys-power/upower straight to 0.99.17, and it was segfaulting 100% of the time here. The new version is a hard requirement for gnome-bluetooth, so I basically had to drop the bluetooth USE flag everywhere on gnome packages and mask >=sys-power/upower-0.99.17 to get it to work again and not freeze my system randomly when something tried to talk to it through DBus.

Even with that fix, I get random freezes, but a lot less now. Usually wheh interacting with Chrome. System freezzes for a few seconds and then comes back. I tried disabling almost all Gnome extensions, and that did not help.

I also updated some packages (libnotify, libnice) since it helped according to some user in Arch forums:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=276148

Not really sure if that actually did anything or not.

Nvidia + high frequency polling mouse + dragging windows = nope
Due to this regression in mutter: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/2233

Moving windows is completely terrible with the aforementioned settings. Dropping my mouse polling rate from 1000hz to 125hz makes it bearable.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
Gentoo upgraded sys-power/upower straight to 0.99.17, and it was segfaulting 100% of the time here. The new version is a hard requirement for gnome-bluetooth, so I basically had to drop the bluetooth USE flag everywhere on gnome packages and mask >=sys-power/upower-0.99.17 to get it to work again and not freeze my system randomly when something tried to talk to it through DBus.

You have to file bugs for things like this ...
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattst88 wrote:
saboya wrote:

You have to file bugs for things like this ...

I wasn't sure if this was an issue with my setup, and didn't have time to debug it properly / file a bug with enough info.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
I'm currently on Gentoo's oficial repo, so not using the overlays, but I thought I might share some of my experience with the recent Gnome 42 upgrade: [...]

Thanks for the update.

I ran into similar issues which is why parts of GNOME are still frozen.

UPower in particular is at 0.99.14 since nothing actually hard depends on 0.99.17.

Likewise, I also disagreed with quite a few other minimum dependency version requirements elsewhere. :roll:

P.S. As for that Mutter regression, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
I wasn't sure if this was an issue with my setup, and didn't have time to debug it properly / file a bug with enough info.

I've added upower-0.99.19. Please test it.

dantrell wrote:
Likewise, I also disagreed with quite a few other minimum dependency version requirements elsewhere. :roll:

What are you talking about? Just file a bug if I've gotten a dependency wrong.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattst88 wrote:

That wasn't addressed to you and I don't participate on Gentoo's Bugzilla.

Additionally, there's multiple reasons why there's no point in addressing any divergence between Gentoo's ebuilds and mine.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
mattst88 wrote:

That wasn't addressed to you and I don't participate on Gentoo's Bugzilla.

Additionally, there's multiple reasons why there's no point in addressing any divergence between Gentoo's ebuilds and mine.

Dunno know what that's about. I've basically handled the last three major GNOME releases in Gentoo by myself. Maybe you'd be interested in reconsidering.
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Did some updates today and portage tried to (re)emerge app-misc/tracker-miners-2.3.5::dantrell-gnome, but it fails to configure because it still has a taglib USE flag and passes that to meson, but taglib is no longer supported.
There's a 2.3.5-r1 ebuild which has this fixed but for some reason that's not the version portage wants to install.
Btw this could be an older bug, I had app-misc/tracker-miners excluded from updates for some time, I believe it was because of this.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
FYI Did some updates today and portage tried to [...]

Excuse the late response, I apparently didn't get an email alert. :(

I'll be making time tomorrow to sync against the main tree and correct the issue you mentioned.

Stay tuned.
goldenmice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: can't set user's LANG on GNOME wayland Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm using wayland on GNOME with openrc, I want to make user has their own locale. I've found that can't set a user LANG environment variable which is differ from system LANG,
I've install openrc-settingsd & accountservice, seems wayland has no way for user setting their own environment variable expect the PAM.But pam_env module has security risk.
Is there more "offical" way to set user LANG environment variable?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
Stay tuned.

The craziness that is life is increasing instead of abating.

So although I'm sitting on commits, anyone waiting for them will have to continue to stay tuned.

goldenmice wrote:
I'm using wayland on GNOME with openrc, I want to make user has their own locale. I've found that can't set a user LANG environment variable which is differ from system LANG,
I've install openrc-settingsd & accountservice, seems wayland has no way for user setting their own environment variable expect the PAM.But pam_env module has security risk.
Is there more "offical" way to set user LANG environment variable?

I don't have the answer to this as I'm not that familiar with Wayland.

Fortunately, this seems like a generic enough question that has nothing specifically to do with the project overlays so you are better served asking elsewhere.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dantrell,

long time no hear. I did not upgrade my box for quite a bit :twisted:

Code:

layman -l

* dantrell-gnome            [Git       ] (https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome.git)
 * dantrell-gnome-3-38       [Git       ] (https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome-...)

Now the 1000$ question - how should I proceed best? Remove the overlays, try to upgrade the system and then re-add the newest overlay version of yours? I would also like to continue using the combined gnome+plasma profile :)

https://pastebin.com/P5qQdFVj

Or would you suggest to try migrate to official gentoo repos and leave ya alone? :lol:
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
long time no hear. I did not upgrade my box for quite a bit :twisted:

Hi there and shame on you.

Elleni wrote:
https://pastebin.com/P5qQdFVj

First things first, your emerge broke because I pointed the combined profile to GNOME 42 and you don't have that overlay installed. You can fix this by:
  1. installing dantrell-gnome-42, however, I have not done any recent QA checks on the GNOME 40 series

2. switching from gnome+plasma/mainline (which points to GNOME 42) to gnome+plasma (which points to GNOME 3.38*), however, while I did a recent QA check on GNOME 3.38, I forgot to check the combined profile
For now, I suggest option #2 so:

Code:
eselect profile set dantrell-gnome:default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome+plasma

and check things again.

Elleni wrote:
Or would you suggest to try migrate to official gentoo repos and leave ya alone? :lol:

Well, the reasons to move to Gentoo's versions are summarized in the first post, although I forgot to mention special profiles as an additional exception.

As for the project's version, long-term-support will continue for as long as I use GNOME (so feel free to bug me until the end). :wink:

Elleni wrote:
Now the 1000$ question - how should I proceed best?

If your check fails after option #2, wait a bit since the current short-term agenda is to:
  1. re-check GNOME 3.14
  2. re-check GNOME 3.38
  3. check the combined profile for GNOME 3.38
  4. simultaneously check GNOME 40 through 42
  5. check the combined profile for GNOME 42
  6. add GNOME 43
  7. check the combined profile for GNOME 43
and I'll be working on the first 3 after this posts. If your check succeeds then wait a bit longer for me to get halfway through the last 4 before proceeding with option #1.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, you had the chance, now... :lol:

https://pastebin.com/xvBeidUd

added 42 overlay and changed profile, just for the record, doing a layman -S now gives

https://pastebin.com/e65iByCy

eselect profile list shows the combined profile chosen but trying to emerge anything like portage spits out
Code:
!!! /etc/portage/make.profile is not a symlink and will probably prevent most merges.
!!! It should point into a profile within /usr/portage/profiles/
!!! (You can safely ignore this message when syncing. It's harmless.)

!!! Your current profile is invalid. If you have just changed your profile
!!! configuration, you should revert back to the previous configuration.
!!! Allowed actions are limited to --help, --info, --search, --sync, and
!!! --version.

I guess due to too long waiting I'll have to go through process of downloading a new stage3 and chroot into it anyways as my portage does not understand eapi 8, but I'll wait for suggestions my dear dantrell :wink:
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
ok, you had the chance, now... :lol:

Oh no...

Elleni wrote:
added 42 overlay and changed profile [...]

You were supposed to do one or the other, not both. :o

Make sure your profile shenanigans have resulted in something that lines up...

Elleni wrote:
[...]just for the record, doing a layman -S now gives

Elleni wrote:
I guess due to too long waiting [...]

Then update portage and re-check:

Code:
emerge --ask --oneshot --verbose sys-apps/portage

Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I removed both dantrell overlays and re-added both with layman:

layman -l
Code:
 * dantrell-gnome            [Git       ] (https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome.git                             )
 * dantrell-gnome-42         [Git       ] (https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome-42.git

eselect profile list
Code:
[46]  dantrell-gnome:default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome+plasma (stable) *

layman -S (why invalid atom errors?)
https://pastebin.com/k4BV5pek

So that should be correct for starting to upgrade towards gnome 42, right?

However - Why does it still look for 3-38??
ParseError: Parent 'dantrell-gnome-3-38:default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/3.38/extended' not found

Anyways - even when this will be sorted out, I will probably have to follow this in order to be able to upgrade as my portage does not understand eapi 8 and also gcc and binutils seem too old.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
layman -S (why invalid atom errors?)

This is because of changes in the project overlays to reflect changes in portage.

There was previously an intermediate step that would have bypassed those errors until you moved to a recent version of portage.

You seem to have missed enough updates that you missed that step.

Elleni wrote:
So that should be correct for starting to upgrade towards gnome 42, right?

Nope, you have things mixed up.

Code:
gnome+plasma = GNOME 3.38
gnome+plasma/mainline = GNOME 42

But my suggestion was to hold off on GNOME 42 since I haven't checked it with the combined profile yet.

Elleni wrote:
I will probably have to follow [...] in order to be able to upgrade as my portage does not understand eapi 8 and also gcc and binutils seem too old.

The main tree profiles use EAPI 5 and the recent portage ebuilds use EAPI 7.

Nothing should be preventing you from just upgrading portage.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then back to the roots removed 42 overlay and re-added 3-38.

layman -l
Code:

* dantrell-gnome            [Git       ] (https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome.git                             )
 * dantrell-gnome-3-38       [Git       ] (https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome-3-38.git 

eselect profile list
[48] dantrell-gnome-3-38:default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/3.38 (stable) *

layman -S
https://pastebin.com/uyW8tE4C

emerge portage -1av:
Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies                    ... done!             

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-python/typing-extensions[python_targets_pypy3(-)?,python_targets_python3_8(-)?,python_targets_python3_9(-)?,python_targets_python3_10(-)?,python_targets_python3_11(-)?]" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-python/typing-extensions-4.3.0::gentoo (masked by: EAPI 8)

The current version of portage supports EAPI '7'. You must upgrade to a
newer version of portage before EAPI masked packages can be installed.
(dependency required by "dev-python/setuptools_scm-7.0.5::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-python/setuptools-65.5.1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-apps/portage-3.0.38.1-r3::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "portage" [argument])
For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

Same happens also with dantrell-gnome:default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome+plasma (stable) profile.

So I am a bit lost, but I'll wait then till you give me green light for 42 and will stay with 3-38 until then.

What ever combo I tried mainline (42) - stable 3-38 overlay version 3-38 or 42 I always get invalid atom in /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome/profiles...

So I guess best is effectively to just wait, or to remove overlays completely and try to chroot, download stage3 and try to re-emerge toolchain (gcc, binutils), then emerge -e system and world, I dont know. Anyways sorry for trouble. :oops:
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
[...] try to chroot, download stage3 and try to re-emerge toolchain (gcc, binutils), then emerge -e system and world, I dont know. Anyways sorry for trouble. :oops

That's a bit hasty. I'm sure it's something simple... like forgetting to pass "--nodeps" too:

Code:
emerge --ask --nodeps --oneshot --verbose sys-apps/portage

I'm not really in the habit of having out-of-date systems so I'm a bit rusty. :wink:

If that produces clean emerge output, make sure note down what version of portage it's updating from, so I can reproduce this issue later, for fun.

dantrell wrote:
[...] the current short-term agenda is to:
  1. re-check GNOME 3.14 [DONE]
  2. re-check GNOME 3.38 [DONE]
  3. check the combined profile for GNOME 3.38 [DONE]
  4. simultaneously check GNOME 40 through 42 [DONE]
  5. check the combined profile for GNOME 42 [DONE]
  6. add GNOME 43
  7. check the combined profile for GNOME 43
and I'll be working on the first 3 after this posts. [...]

So the bulk of this is done and there have been some plumbing changes to the combined profiles. Basically, the current ones:

Quote:
gnome+plasma
gnome+plasma/mainline

have been hidden (but will continue to work) in favor of increasing readability with:

Quote:
plasma+gnome/3.38
plasma+gnome/40
plasma+gnome/41
plasma+gnome/42

A recent Gentoo stage 3 tarball (20221120) was also tested and confirmed to remain compatible with the project.

Unless there has been a breaking change in the main tree since then, all you really need to do is get Portage updated (as explained above).
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dantrell,

I come from reinstalling my system as I had managed to break it quite a bit, but now its updated with plasma profile and I start from a clean setup.

emerge --info
Code:
Portage 3.0.41 (python 3.10.9-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma, gcc-11, glibc-2.36-r5, 5.15.80-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-5.15.80-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_Ryzen_5_1600_Six-Core_Processor-with-glibc2.36
KiB Mem:    16331624 total,    201316 free
KiB Swap:   33554428 total,  33081596 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 08:30:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 2451ac41755ade568c777ea96ed6714fdbce8061
sh bash 5.1_p16-r2
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.39 p5) 2.39.0
app-misc/pax-utils:        1.3.5::gentoo
app-shells/bash:           5.1_p16-r2::gentoo
dev-java/java-config:      2.3.1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:             5.36.0-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/python:           3.10.9::gentoo, 3.11.1::gentoo
dev-lang/rust:             1.65.0::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:            3.24.3::gentoo
dev-util/meson:            0.64.1::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:       2.9::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:           0.45.2-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:          2.29::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:        2.13-r7::gentoo, 2.71-r5::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:        1.16.5::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:        2.39-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils-config: 5.4.1::gentoo
sys-devel/clang:           15.0.6::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:             11.3.1_p20221209::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:      2.8::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:         2.4.7::gentoo
sys-devel/lld:             15.0.6::gentoo
sys-devel/llvm:            15.0.6::gentoo
sys-devel/make:            4.3::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers:  5.15-r3::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:            2.36-r5::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 24
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1

escpr2
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 50

dantrell-gnome-42
    priority: 100

test
    priority: 100

dantrell-gnome
    priority: 150

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE @BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/sofficerc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="CARGO_HOME DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR XDG_STATE_HOME"
FCFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs binpkg-multi-instance buildpkg-live candy config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox preserve-libs protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="https://mirror.init7.net/gentoo/ http://mirror.init7.net/gentoo/ rsync://mirror.init7.net/gentoo/"
LANG="de_CH.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LEX="flex"
LINGUAS="de de_CH el en fr fr_FR it"
MAKEOPTS="-j12"
PKGDIR="/var/cache/binpkgs"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
SHELL="/bin/bash"
USE="X a52 aac accessibility acl acpi activities alsa amd64 bittorrent bluetooth branding browser-integration bzip2 cairo cdda cdr chromium cli colord crypt cups d3d10 d3d11 d3d12 d3d9 dbus declarative display-manager dri dts dvd dvdr dxvk eds egl elogind encode evo exif fam ffmpeg firewall flac fortran gdbm gif glamor gnome gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gpm grub gtk gtk3 gtkstyle gui handbook iconv icu introspection ipv6 jpeg kde kdesu kwallet lcms ldap libnotify libsecret libtirpc mad matroska mng mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib nautilus ncurses networkmanager nls nptl ogg opencl opengl openmp opus pam pango pcre pdf plasma plymouth png policykit ppds pulseaudio qml qt5 rdp readline scanner sdl seccomp semantic-desktop skins sound spell spice split-usr ssl startup-notification svg test-rust theora tiff tracker truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vaapi vdpau vkd3d vnc vorbis vulkan wayland widgets wxwidgets x264 x265 xattr xcb xft xml xorg xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64 32" ADA_TARGET="gnat_2021" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 f16c fma3 mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt rdrand sha sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev libinput synaptics" KERNEL="linux" L10N="de de-CH el en fr it" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-1" LUA_TARGETS="lua5-1" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php7-4 php8-0" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres12 postgres13" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_10" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_10 python2_7" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby27" SANE_BACKENDS="epson2" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu d3d12 radeonsi vesa" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq proto steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  ADDR2LINE, AR, ARFLAGS, AS, ASFLAGS, CC, CCLD, CONFIG_SHELL, CPP, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, CXXFILT, ELFEDIT, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, EXTRA_ECONF, F77FLAGS, FC, GCOV, GPROF, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LD, LFLAGS, LIBTOOL, MAKE, MAKEFLAGS, NM, OBJCOPY, OBJDUMP, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, RANLIB, READELF, RUSTFLAGS, SIZE, STRINGS, STRIP, YACC, YFLAGS

I run into the following probs trying to install gnome 42 with combined profile after I had to additionally add following to package.use:
Code:
# needed for dantrell-gnome without systemd with wayland support
base/gnome-extra-apps boxes california empathy epiphany flashback geary gnote latexila multiwriter simple-scan
media-fonts/noto emoji extra minimal
media-libs/libsdl2 gles2
sys-apps/xdg-desktop-portal screencast
media-libs/opencv -gtk3
media-video/mpv lua_single_target_luajit -lua_single_target_lua5-1

Now emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y @world gives the following errors.
https://pastebin.com/cHZmTUAe
Is this something on my side?

Last edited by Elleni on Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
I come from reinstalling my system as I had managed to break it quite a bit, but now its updated with plasma profile and I start from a clean setup.

I still say you missed something simple. :wink:

Elleni wrote:
Is this something on my side?

This is because of Suggest: A warning period before EAPI/similar break overlays and aggressively dropped EAPI support. In lieu of a better implementation, overlays will always be second class citizens. It is what it is.

I took care of EAPI 5 by hand but I still have ~409 EAPI 6 ebuilds and ~738 EAPI 7 ebuilds to process.

I can either reverse the changes in the main tree on my end or automatic the move to EAPI 8 ahead of time (maybe a combination of both). I'll have to find some time first.

So if you want/need clean emerge output you'll have to rollback the main tree to a commit from sometime between 8 to 12 days ago.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
"I still say you missed something simple. :wink:

For sure, and panicking when something broke mislead me to completely destroy the system by overwriting many things in /etc by unpacking a new stage3 archive :lol:
dantrell wrote:
This is because of Suggest: A warning period before EAPI/similar break overlays and aggressively dropped EAPI support. In lieu of a better implementation, overlays will always be second class citizens. It is what it is.

I took care of EAPI 5 by hand but I still have ~409 EAPI 6 ebuilds and ~738 EAPI 7 ebuilds to process.

I can either reverse the changes in the main tree on my end or automatic the move to EAPI 8 ahead of time (maybe a combination of both). I'll have to find some time first.

So if you want/need clean emerge output you'll have to rollback the main tree to a commit from sometime between 8 to 12 days ago.

Well no problem then I'll wait untill you fixed it instead of rolling back. Thats the beauty of the system, I can live with plasma temporarily until the overlays are ready for my next try. So everything related on my emerge output are related to those eapi thingy? I am asking as I also had some circular dep problems, but I guess you will take care of those too? :twisted:

I will happily help with testing and wait patiently - take your time. Ready when you are :)
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Well no problem then I'll wait untill you fixed it instead of rolling back.

Elleni wrote:
Ready when you are :)

As it turns out...

I did a quick check and decided the amount of reversals needed were acceptable... so sync up and you should be good to go.

Number one on the agenda is the automatic port to EAPI 8 though. :?

Elleni wrote:
I am asking as I also had some circular dep problems, but I guess you will take care of those too? :twisted:

Since you mentioned this I also did a QA check on the combined profile (albeit with a Stage 3 tarball dated 20221211) and got clean emerge output.

So it seems like it's your fault this time. :lol:

But I'll take a slightly closer look at the issue next session, a bit preoccupied.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks much better now, not much left that blocks the initial emerge world process. Looking forward. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: