Stage3 Image for Nintendo Wii Release
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immolo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Stage3 Image for Nintendo Wii Release Reply with quote

I've been working on trying to get Gentoo to boot on a Wii for a couple of months now just to see if it was possible, which with some guidance from some helpful devs I now have an optimised stage3 image which when written to an SD card and booted with a Wii with bootmii installed will automatically load straight into Gentoo and allow you to configure the system anyway you like.

WiFi currently doesn't work as I can't get the firmware from here to load although the one from linux-firmware does but doesn't connect to my AP. Ethernet does work but I've only tested using the official USB one so far.

If anyone wants to help with this project then I've written a list of things that need looking into to make this as native to a normal Gentoo install as you can get, although just seeing if anyone can find some interesting uses for this would be just as fun to watch!

ToDo List

Fix wireless firmware not loading correctly
Test Bluetooth
Test Xorg
Use the newer 4.x kernel
Create a proper Wii overlay rather than the local one currently
Fix my workaround fixes to something more permanent
Monthly image snapshots

All files and instructions are currently hosted at https://www.immolo.co.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:wii which also provides an area to add any bugs and issues you find.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: