ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nvaert1986
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to get ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux (version 9) to work on my laptop at the moment, but I'm running into issues with the eset_rtp kernel module.
The kernel module compiles fine, but fails to load with the following error: kernel: eset_rtp(ertp_hooks_init): cannot find 64-bit syscall table when loading it with modprobe or by starting the eea service I get the message: kernel: eset_rtp(ertp_hooks_init): cannot find 64-bit syscall table.

I've tried looking up my 64-bit syscall table, but it's present in my /usr/src/linux/... directory.

I'm using the installation commands that are in the preinst and postinst files, which are in the control.gz file within the .deb file for creating users, folders and setting permissions and such. I'm running systemd, so this should not be an issue either. I've seen several people getting it to work on arch (as there's a packages in AUR). Is there something I'm doing wrong? Am I missing a kernel option?

I checked the dependencies from Debian / Arch (AUR) and compared them to the packages installed on my system and seem to meet all the requirements.

I'm running the stable gentoo-sources.5.15 LTS kernel.

P.S.: I've tried setting the syscall_64 variable as option with the kernel module, but then I get the message that it's an invalid argument:

kernel: eset_rtp: `/usr/src/linux/arch/x86/entry/syscalls/syscall_64.tbl' invalid for parameter `sys_table_64'
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What package installs this kernel module? For what kernel version(s) is the module designed to be used?
nvaert1986
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What package installs this kernel module? For what kernel version(s) is the module designed to be used?

The package that installs this kernel module is ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux itself. It was designed for RHEL, Ubutnu LTS and SLES, but according to several arch users, it's supposed to work up and until kernel 5.15 (though it's not explicitly stated).

P.S.: I found a similar thread on the german forums: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8693672.html?sid=

The software is installed by downloading ESET Endpoint Antivirus (under business) from the ESET website. It's a bin file, you unpack it and have deb and rpm files. When you unpack the deb it has the typical data.gz file which in turn contains the data. One of the pieces of data is the eset_rtp kernel module found in: /var/opt/eset/eea/eventd/eset_rtp and it contains the sourcecode for this module.

I can share the code for the eset_rtp module AFAIK, as the headers of the c file contain a message that it's licensed under GPL.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't be helpful, but I was wondering what is in your use case that calls for going to this trouble, grief, and expense?
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
nvaert1986
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
This won't be helpful, but I was wondering what is in your use case that calls for going to this trouble, grief, and expense?

The main reason for this is to be compliant with the company it's ISO 27001 / GDPR policy.
nvaert1986
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I've finally got the module loaded by enabling the CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL option in the kernel, but now the software refuses to activate.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: