Dream gentoo hardware
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Dream gentoo hardware Reply with quote

I'm putting together a system in two weeks to replace my Sun Ultra 5. I want x86, and gaming, so I wanted to ask some opinions...

I'm currently planning on getting the Biostar ideq Athlon 64 SFF motherboard+case+Athlon 64 3200+, 2GB ram, a 74 GB raptor, and some video card? (Torn between the Radeon 9100 and supporting linux, versus the 9800 and using ATI binary drivers.) I want stability and speed. Anyone have any better ideas?

And this is dreaming on a budget...
slarti`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be more than happy to put a bit of a downpayment on that Ultra 5 if you don't want it ;)

As for graphics card, I think NVIDIA are the best choice for Linux. Certainly Athlon64, Gentoo is pretty much ready for it by my standards. The system you have planned so far sounds great :)
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll practically give you the Ultra 5... If you're willing to come out to France to get it... :)

I'm willing to go Nvidia, but are there ANY with non-binary drivers? And if I'm going with binary drivers, what card do I get, considering I'm getting a two-slot case and I don't want the video card to take up both of them...
Peaceable Frood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2D non-binary drivers. However, before you say "Screw Nvidia", it's because they can't provide OSS drivers, due to licensing issues. However they do feel bad about this, and provided good drivers, and contacts.
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely don't have an immeidate screw Nvidia attitude, because ATI pulls the same shit, since their NDA program is a bit of a joke. There are, however, OSS 3D drivers at least for some relatively recent ATI cards. If some company (like the S3 spinoff with the Volaris, or whatever it's called), released a decent card with OSS support, my money would definitely go there, but as it is, I'm just wondering what will cause me the least amount of problems...
blueworm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody successfully got 3d to work with amd64?
If so which chipsets and grafics card's...
This is the only partial success story I have found.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22036&highlight=amd64
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check out Linux Journals Ultimate Linux box... granted its a 5k machine but its a good starting point and they did talk about how they got it to run and so on.. chipset/driver support for amd64 etc..etc..

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/ulb2k3/

The computer was made by monarch computers, they seem to have a good holding of how to build a proper linux box.

They did use a Nvidia card and it supposedly worked fine with the binary drivers, on the dual opterons. They also used Suse 64-bit version for the test.. not my preferance but hey, linux is still just linux under the hood eh?
blueworm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet box..
No doubt Nvidia has got it to work at some stage/ Since they make drivers. But what is'nt very clear is what was there test setup.
Because nobody else can seem to get it to work.
Anior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recomend getting at least two harddrives and putting up a raid 0 array.
Preferably the drives should be of the same model to have exactly the same size and speed for optimal load balancing.
slarti`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the nvidia-glx package is open source, though I think it's under a tight license when it comes to distribution. The kernel modules are binary though, for sure.

As for the Ultra 5... if you are anywhere around the North of France I can get over to you sometime maybe ;)
Peaceable Frood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why though, nVidia can't atleast release the specs for the cards, it would be pretty obvious for a company to design a card based on the specs, so its not like IP is such a problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: