View previous topic :: View next topic  
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
asturm wrote:
logrusx wrote:
That's partially correct. While I don't use icons and don't care, ...

...that's vital information when you claim "This usually scales everything". Most people will be looking at size-mismatched icons and mouse cursor then.

Icons in the applications menu are of normal size, so I guess I use icons after all. Mouse cursor is another story, it needs to be manually enlarged, usually not a big deal.

devsk wrote:
How do you run it without XWayland in KDE? KDE Plasma seems to automatically start it with XWayland.

You mean how do I run it in Wayland mode? There are different options but I think nowadays you need to manually disable wayland(enabled by default if the DE runs in wayland mode) in /etc/chromium/default or passing command line options to the binary or putting them into the same /etc/chromium/default afar.

Regards,
Georgi
No, I meant that run a pure Wayland system, without XWayland running at all.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm neither a chrom* nor kde user but I have heard that adding "--ozone-platform-hint=auto" to chrom* flags will make it select wayland

Not sure if these are still valid "–enable-features=UseOzonePlatform –ozone-platform=wayland"

As far as sizing, I run a 4k monitor and the normal sizes looked ridiculously tiny.

So for various kits, I use these
Code:
# -------------- GDK/GTK
export GDK_BACKEND=wayland
export GDK_SCALE=2
export GDK_DPI_SCALE=2

Code:
# -------------- QT
export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
# export QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1
# export QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS
export QT_FONT_DPI=200
export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SET_FACTOR=0

They size text and ui elements (at least most of them)
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I'm neither a chrom* nor kde user but I have heard that adding "--ozone-platform-hint=auto" to chrom* flags will make it select wayland

This (alone) does not work for me (on chrome), but these do (since ages, independent of whether I use the above):
Quote:
Not sure if these are still valid "–enable-features=UseOzonePlatform –ozone-platform=wayland"
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
logrusx wrote:
asturm wrote:
logrusx wrote:
That's partially correct. While I don't use icons and don't care, ...

...that's vital information when you claim "This usually scales everything". Most people will be looking at size-mismatched icons and mouse cursor then.

Icons in the applications menu are of normal size, so I guess I use icons after all. Mouse cursor is another story, it needs to be manually enlarged, usually not a big deal.

devsk wrote:
How do you run it without XWayland in KDE? KDE Plasma seems to automatically start it with XWayland.

You mean how do I run it in Wayland mode? There are different options but I think nowadays you need to manually disable wayland(enabled by default if the DE runs in wayland mode) in /etc/chromium/default or passing command line options to the binary or putting them into the same /etc/chromium/default afar.

Regards,
Georgi
No, I meant that run a pure Wayland system, without XWayland running at all.

You can't. If an application is not Wayland aware it's provided an XWayland window which, to my knowledge looks to the application just like X11. This however has the shortcoming of raster resize of the picture in that XWayland window, if there's some resizing. That's why global front scale factor is preferred as it would not blur fonts.
Regards,
Georgi
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to my earlier complaint that switching sessions in KDE using SDDM and Wayland was broke. Turns out it's broken in a different way to that which I thought.

It appeared that in the following sequence:
  1. From SDDM logon page:
    logon to Foo
  2. Switch user (brings up SDDM logon page again)
  3. logon to Bah
  4. do stuff (or not)
  5. logoff

This returns me to a blank screen with a mouse cursor, but no logon screen or Foo session.
Turns out the SDDM screen is now on a different TTY - in my case TTY2! From there I can log back into the Foo session.
It seems that SDDM and Wayland wander all over the TTY's with no apparent logic! I was on TTY8 before I switched user. Weird or what?

Meanwhile, Zoom is still broken on Wayland on my boxes.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
An update to my earlier complaint that switching sessions in KDE using SDDM and Wayland was broke. Turns out it's broken in a different way to that which I thought.

It appeared that in the following sequence:
  1. From SDDM logon page:
    logon to Foo
  2. Switch user (brings up SDDM logon page again)
  3. logon to Bah
  4. do stuff (or not)
  5. logoff

This returns me to a blank screen with a mouse cursor, but no logon screen or Foo session.
Turns out the SDDM screen is now on a different TTY - in my case TTY2! From there I can log back into the Foo session.
It seems that SDDM and Wayland wander all over the TTY's with no apparent logic! I was on TTY8 before I switched user. Weird or what?

Meanwhile, Zoom is still broken on Wayland on my boxes.

Switch user without logoff always brings up a new session on a new terminal. You need a new session from the other user, right? That's how things are in Linux from before Wayland, maybe you just didn't use that functionality before?

Switching users with logging off from the first user session should bring up a new one at the same terminal. If that doesn't happen, maybe there's an error in the logs which you could investigate(just a speculation)

The login screen itself should be on a different TTY and sometimes that can confuse you so that you start a new session with the same user when in fact you just want to switch to the old session. It used to happen to me before I used to it(I had a break from Linux for a long time and this took a while).

It's not like the good old times when you needed to run startx and then you find the graphical terminal at the same place you left it (TTY07, afar).

Regards,
Georgi
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgi, no, this is different, at least I think so. In the following I'll call the TTYs after the Ctl-Alt sequence to reach them - I suspect that the Ctl-Alt-F1 is TTY0, but I'm not sure, so I'll call it F1.

Under X and KDE, if I switch to new user, my original session is on F7, and the new one ends up on F8, and I can switch between them either using KDE "Switch user", or more usually Ctl-Alt_Fn, and that's nice and stable.

But under Wayland it's a bit different. SDDM seems to have put me on F2 (I think "tty" said /dev/pts/1) , and if I switch to a new user I get the SDDM login screen and can indeed log in, but Ctl-Alt-Fn takes me to F1=kernel boot screen, F2=SDDM login screen for first user, and the F7 and F8 both seem to be blank screens running X or Wayland but neither actually work, and I can't get back to the second user.

Oh no, just tested again: I can get back! The second user is on F10 and now says it's /dev/pty/2, and the first user is on F2 amd says it's /dev/pty/5.
I am in a maze of twisty-turny PTYs all different, and a maze of twisty-turny Fns all differently different. Down the PLUGHole.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there was a setting how many TTY's are pre-allocated for text console and after them the graphical ones follow. It's either openrc or systemd setting, depending on what you're using. But I don't remember what exactly that setting was, because I almost never use a text console.
The first available graphic console is for the display manager and the following are for user sessions. Naturally the new season is on the next TTY available.
Regards,
Georgi
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of what's wrong is down to sddm default configuration - under X11 it specifies "MinimumVT=7", but not under Wayland. I tried putting the same into the Wayland part of the SDDM config, and it moved the SDDM screen to F7, and the first logged-in session to F8. Can't say about the second logged-in session, as some Gentoo change this morning seems to have broken "Switch user" under Wayland.

I suspect all these "Wayland" problems are down to sddm, which is, after all, an X11 application. I think I'll try greetd with the TUI greeter - I don't really need pretty icons!
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Some of what's wrong is down to sddm default configuration - under X11 it specifies "MinimumVT=7", but not under Wayland. I tried putting the same into the Wayland part of the SDDM config, and it moved the SDDM screen to F7, and the first logged-in session to F8. Can't say about the second logged-in session, as some Gentoo change this morning seems to have broken "Switch user" under Wayland.

I suspect all these "Wayland" problems are down to sddm, which is, after all, an X11 application. I think I'll try greetd with the TUI greeter - I don't really need pretty icons!

Most of the "Wayland problems" are actually problems with not properly supporting Wayland. The rest are of not wanting to support Wayland, like MS Teams, Zoom and similar.

If you're comfortable with Xorg you might want to stay with it for a while, depending on your needs. I personally start a new X11 session when in need of one of those problematic packages.

Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: