View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: wayland stability and application compatibility Reply with quote

Dear Gentooers,

Is there some place where good folks have documented some sort of stability and application compatibility issues with wayland plasma desktop?

I have been thinking about transitioning to wayland on my desktop (amdgpu) but would love to see what is already reported to be broken. For example, if vscode does not work, I am toast!

Thanks,
devsk
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked into switching in the past,and something about Wayland reminds me of IPV6
both are

• Supposed to replace something legacy, some outdated programing, that's really bad code.
  • 100% not backwards compatible, so any commercial support will be slow.
  • There are really cool talks at conferences why we all need to switch.
  • And people say the transition is a few years away, and always will be.

The rationale for Wayland was mobile and tablet device development but it seems to me SurfaceFlinger has a better chance of taking over before Wayland does.
In the mean time x11-xorg and IPV4 keep chugging away.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtles wrote:
I've looked into switching in the past,and something about Wayland reminds me of IPV6
both are

• Supposed to replace something legacy, some outdated programing, that's really bad code.

The rationale for Wayland was mobile and tablet device development but it seems to me SurfaceFlinger has a better chance of taking over before Wayland does.
:D :lol:

I think wayland has a leg up on IPV6....:lol:
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these showstoppers were enough to persuade me to abandon this idea for now. I will try in another year or so.

https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers

and

https://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/21944.html

I definitely need KDE session restore. That's a big showstopper right there!

I do run graphical tools as root sometimes because I need to e.g. I need to diff and merge a system file, my tool of choice is always kdiff3 (it has never failed me).
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thanks for posting.
Yeah with more and more 'closed source' apps getting run on Linux desktops the security threat is real.

I have been meaning to try out dockercast:
https://github.com/dockercask/dockercask
Or something like it.
I am not sure if there is anything Gentoo specific.
stef999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtles wrote:
both are

Funny (and as well true in my experience), you made my day, thx :D
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtles wrote:
Interesting thanks for posting.
Yeah with more and more 'closed source' apps getting run on Linux desktops the security threat is real.

I have been meaning to try out dockercast:
https://github.com/dockercask/dockercask
Or something like it.
I am not sure if there is anything Gentoo specific.
Very interesting! Thanks for that link!

I am surprised that more people don't have comments here. Either nobody bothers with wayland or people running it are really happy. I would like to know how people are happy with it despite very fundamental showstoppers on desktop, in case its the latter.

Note that I have no religious allegiance to X11 or wayland, or anything for that matter....:-)
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:

I am surprised that more people don't have comments here. Either nobody bothers with wayland or people running it are really happy. I would like to know how people are happy with it despite very fundamental showstoppers on desktop, in case its the latter.

Note that I have no religious allegiance to X11 or wayland, or anything for that matter....:-)

I do not comment since I do have religious allegiance to X11 :)
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
devsk wrote:

I do not comment since I do have religious allegiance to X11 :)
:lol: :lol:
davydm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Looks like a mission to get a half-baked experience Reply with quote

After reading https://write.as/n5r0vjolumdnuk2k.md, linked from Hacker News, I thought perhaps it was time to consider Wayland again. Prior musings in this direction have always ended with "not yet".

Wayland is pushed as the next best thing, but the hard reality seems to be to the contrary, especially if you're running an nvidia system (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu-2104-gaming&num=1 , https://blog.devgenius.io/wayland-and-nvidia-in-2022-2f0407fb34f4). The first article linked here claims that Wayland is the default on so many distros, but the reality is probably closer to what I see about it being the "default" on Ubuntu - it's "default" except on nvidia, because there are too many issues.

Not to mention the KDE showstoppers (https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers).

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but it looks like globally setting the `wayland` use flag and rebuilding will be a lot of compilation for little benefit and a brand new collection of issues.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, too many showstoppers at this time. The progress seems very slow but hopefully, KDE is pushing hard for them to be resolved in 2022 roadmap for plasma.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried wayland again; it seemed a lot better at first - to the extent that I had to check if it was actually wayland and not X! However, zoom is still broken. kmail windows now "twitch" rather than fail to appear. But the biggest problem was that KDE "Switch to new user", which goes via sddm (X11 only AFAIK), is broken and locks me out of both the intended new user session AND the existing one. So, back to X for me at the moment.
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using KDE Wayland session like more than for a year.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sddm does have problems with wayland (though they're being worked out) but since it was originally based on X11, it still is its primary focus, wayland is an addon at the moment. Having said that they have 19.0 version out that might improve things (I don't use sddm)

Typically one would use greetd with one of the greeters for a better wayland experience, though I'm not sure how well they interface with straight X11.

Afa kde, that's a work in progress re. the wayland part of it. Each release, major or point fixes some problems (but they got lots of them :) )

Wayland is also a work in progress, much like X11 was in the late 90's/early 2000's.
As far as being default vs X11, that depends on the distro, and major vendors gnome/kde allow you to go either way, usually with env variables.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with wayland so far.
However, I use wayfire (not kde), no zoom (though meet w/ google-chrome [in wayland mode] and discord-bin), and meanwhile I have no longer any machines with nvidia.
I do use sddm-0.18.1, however, and have no problems logging in and out.
OTOH, I have not tried this with systemd yet (though I use systemd instead of elogind since I want to be able to switch init systems if necessary), and sddm is the only package compiled with pam support, so I guess that for most things user sessions are not honored.

Only irritating thing concerning user sessions is that pipewire only works for the logged-in user (I know that this is intentional, but it is rubbish anyway if you do not want that misfeature.) Anyway, I guess that the latter has nothing to do with wayland.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly necroposting, but,

as of my systems latest update to KDE et al, specifically plasma-5.24.4, suddenly Wayland looks useable. Windows open where they should, icons have the right size. I'm going to leave it as my default for a while to see if there are any stability problems.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Slightly necroposting, but,

as of my systems latest update to KDE et al, specifically plasma-5.24.4, suddenly Wayland looks useable. Windows open where they should, icons have the right size. I'm going to leave it as my default for a while to see if there are any stability problems.
does the desktop mgmt work? e.g. if I open firefox, have one window in one desktop and 2nd in 2nd desktop, I exit and restart firefox, do all windows show up in the current desktop or do they show up in their respective desktops before exit & restart?

How about after logging out and logging back in?
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean activities rather than desktops.
I tried logging out with firefoxes open on different activities; on logging on again, they're all in "default", but it was trivial (though an inconvenience that needs fixing) to move them back where they belong.

Having said the icons were the right size, that was my desktop. They're wrong - or at least different to X - on my laptop they're too small by about 15%. Not sure which is right; I need to get a ruler and calculate DPI and so forth! I think it's Wayland still miscalculating on the laptop.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:

Having said the icons were the right size, that was my desktop. They're wrong - or at least different to X - on my laptop they're too small by about 15%. Not sure which is right; I need to get a ruler and calculate DPI and so forth! I think it's Wayland still miscalculating on the laptop.

I'm not sure how it's in KDE but I'm sure there's such setting like in Gnome - font scaling. Increase your fonts factor to 1.10-1.20. This usually scales everything, though some applications get blurred on higher resolution displays as they are not properly Wayland aware and their raster ouput is resized.

Regards,
Georgi
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Font scaling scales fonts, nothing else. KDE Plasma has "Global Scale" in Systemsettings/Display Configuration.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the display scaling thing. At first sight it appears to work. However, I found a more serious issue. I opened a second session with "Switch user". That worked fine until I made the mistake of trying to switch back using Ctl+Alt+F7. That gave a black screen with an X cursor, both there and back on Ctl+Alt+F8, so I couldn't get back in without a reboot. Back to Xorg!
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Font scaling scales fonts, nothing else. KDE Plasma has "Global Scale" in Systemsettings/Display Configuration.

That's partially correct. While I don't use icons and don't care, almost everything else depends on the font size including UI elements. Of course there are some applications which disregards global font scaling and you can't do anything about that, but they are a minority.

For example chromium has become Wayland aware since 95 or 96, but it still hasn't gotten everything right, that's why I run it in XWayland mode.

Regards,
Georgi
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
asturm wrote:

That's partially correct. While I don't use icons and don't care, almost everything else depends on the font size including UI elements. Of course there are some applications which disregards global font scaling and you can't do anything about that, but they are a minority.

For example chromium has become Wayland aware since 95 or 96, but it still hasn't gotten everything right, that's why I run it in XWayland mode.

Regards,
Georgi
How do you run it without XWayland in KDE? KDE Plasma seems to automatically start it with XWayland.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
That's partially correct. While I don't use icons and don't care, ...

...that's vital information when you claim "This usually scales everything". Most people will be looking at size-mismatched icons and mouse cursor then.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
logrusx wrote:
That's partially correct. While I don't use icons and don't care, ...

...that's vital information when you claim "This usually scales everything". Most people will be looking at size-mismatched icons and mouse cursor then.

Icons in the applications menu are of normal size, so I guess I use icons after all. Mouse cursor is another story, it needs to be manually enlarged, usually not a big deal.

devsk wrote:
How do you run it without XWayland in KDE? KDE Plasma seems to automatically start it with XWayland.

You mean how do I run it in Wayland mode? There are different options but I think nowadays you need to manually disable wayland(enabled by default if the DE runs in wayland mode) in /etc/chromium/default or passing command line options to the binary or putting them into the same /etc/chromium/default afar.

Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: