Do I need a firewall ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleakcabal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Do I need a firewall ? Reply with quote

On Groklaw here : http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20031212171912108

It says the following :

Quote:
The very first Linux distro I ever tried was Red Hat. This was some years ago, and I was clueless. It took about a month before I realized my box was 0wned. I don't know when it happened, maybe immediately. But any way you look at it, it was fast.

So I completely reinstalled. It took about 2 weeks before I saw it had happened again. This time, I saw games on my computer I specifically had not installed and weird notes from people inside otherwise normal files.

I completely reinstalled again. It took one day before I was 0wned again. At this point, I knew it was time to figure out the real problem, which wasn't Red Hat. The problem was me. It took me months and months of reading and asking and learning to realize I needed to fix the configuration and set up a firewall and things like that I just didn't know about before.

I couldn't figure that part out fast enough, so I bought Mandrake, because it had a firewall built in with a GUI to make it configurable by newbies, which back then Red Hat didn't have. After that, my life got better.

I currently do not have a firewall except the one provided with my cheap 4 port router.

Should I be concerned ? Will I get cracked ?
bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A computer is never really safe - pick you favorite quote from slashdot about drowning the system in the ocean or shooting it to the moon.
However, behind a router (that is not easily 0wed itself) in a default setup you are pretty save because there are no incoming connections.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: