View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Why separated /usr partition? Reply with quote

Hi,

Still working on design initramfs, come to a point where many existing initramfs script have option to mount /usr. And I notice some of long time gentoo user also choose to have separated /usr, I wonder why?

In old day when I/O slow and system crash you want to be able to get back to console as soon as possible, you separate / (root) into its own partition so the fsck can finish early and get console prompt, but now I/O are fast, many system structure are not designed to support a separated /usr in mind but some of you still choose so, why? Is it and old habits? or there are some benefit doing so?

And why not separate others, for example /var or /tmp?

Thank you very much for taking time to share.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a historical thing IMHO. Mainly because disk sizes were limited coupled with random people using the machine would not care or explicitly trying to crash the system by filling the disk up. Could also be an inadvertent disk fill. Also filling logfiles with junk can be a way to exploit DoS'ing a machine.

Also some ancient un*x had user homes in /usr instead of /home ... and user accounts shared disk space with /usr/bin. /usr/adm (which was a historical place for logfiles before they got stuck in /var/log) which had an additional DoS vector by unscrupulous users.

Fast forward to today and disk sizes have gotten huge. Partitioning is not the only way, logical volume management and resizeable partitions are common. Disk quotas are something. Keeping /home separate meant easier management of keeping user data and system data separate.

Same problems still exist today but different ways of solving them are available. Technically with disk sizes so big today your initramfs should be your recovery image and system binaries including distribution sourced software may well share the same rootfs partition. Keeping a separate /home partition may still be prudent.

Old habits die hard.
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the only benefit would be to mount it RO for protection.
But special care should be taken to have it mounted before the kernel invokes "init",ie you DO need an initrd for that.
Otherwise you may have trouble.
It feels an obsolete paradigm in contrast to /home /var /boot which fully or partially can reside in separate partitions.
Ie
/var/lib/docker
/var/lib/mysql
/var/lib/lxd
/var/lib/flatpak

/home also is common.
If you wish to maintain it accross installations or maybe even in centralized network auth situations where it might even be mounted @user-login via pam,autofs,nfs etc etc.
This is my very incomplete understanding on this issue.
Personally I only have /boot and parts of /home and parts of /var on separate partitions.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo,

Once upon a time, sharing the same /usr, read only, to lots of systems, over NFS was popular.
That was about the same time that "thin clients" were in fashion too.

Its a mild security thing too, since you can have different mount options for separate filesystems.
My /usr is still separate because I've always done it that way.

fortune wrote:
It Is Fatuous To Attempt To Indoctrinate A Superannuated Canine With Innovative Maneuvers.
and I'm one of those :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Why separated /usr partition? Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
Hi,

Still working on design initramfs, come to a point where many existing initramfs script have option to mount /usr. And I notice some of long time gentoo user also choose to have separated /usr, I wonder why?

In old day when I/O slow and system crash you want to be able to get back to console as soon as possible, you separate / (root) into its own partition so the fsck can finish early and get console prompt, but now I/O are fast, many system structure are not designed to support a separated /usr in mind but some of you still choose so, why? Is it and old habits? or there are some benefit doing so?

Thank you very much for taking time to share.
The original reason was due to disk space. Some people I would judge as technically competent have decided because of that original intent, there can be no subsequent justification or benefit for the capability. That would seem to imply that multiple disks and mount options are similarly without benefit (nosuid, nodev, noexec, etc.). I believe that is a contradiction which disproves the system design position that /usr should not be separated because modern operating systems ....

/tmp is now commonly a tmpfs filesystem, so it is separate. Is yours not?

On one system, I have /, /usr, /var, and /home (it can be important to not forget about / as separate).

If file systems and volume management had "modern" features, then it would be easier to pretend everything was all on one physical disk and file system. I put modern in quotes because ZFS is pretty old by technology standards. Only software that needs to manage disks and volumes ought to be concerned with those details. I think some of the problem came about when "ricers" started to focus on saving literally ones of seconds off their boot time. Then it somehow became The Gospel according to Webscale.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the times if you screw up one partition, it tends to mean a reinstall regardless as accounting is separated where they should be treated as a unit. All those packages you installed on Gentoo in /usr/bin or even /bin are kept in /var/db. Why (in this case) should they be kept on different partitions, if they ever differ due to a mismatched backup restore, your package accounting is no longer valid.

Another thing that boggles the mind is why mysql data is by default kept in /var along with apache root webpage data... These are not system data, it's user data. Things like print spooler data make sense... Then there's the old mbox standard...this too should not technically be in /var ...

Granted there are other user-created and (most) logfiles that can/should be stored on a different partition as long as the accounting data does not reference a different disk.

In the end flexibility is there, you choose what you want to do to make your life simpler, but what's simpler may actually be more convoluted.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:

Another thing that boggles the mind is why mysql data is by default kept in /var along with apache... These are not system data, it's user data.

because /var is for VARIABLE data and hence db should go there. This is also why portage data should always have been in /var and not /usr
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes cached and pseudo-temporary (state) data belongs in /var. But every time you change /var/db/pkg it means you also changed something in /usr or somewhere else too, so they are all equally "variable". So they belong on the same partition if not different use characteristics.

And still does not explain mysql and apache data as it has nothing to do with the base system data.
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why separated /usr partition? Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I am on RPI4/4GB/SD root. I prefer give memory to application. but may be I should review my usage and switch tmpfs. Thanks.
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to everyone sharing your thoughts/ideas.

A follow up question from initramfs design point of view, Do you think mounting /usr | /var | /tmp | ... in initramfs is good thing? assume those are separated partition/volumes. obviously if we do mount them in initramfs we will also need to move them to NEWROOT.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo,

If you will use udev or one of its clones, /usr needs to be mounted before it starts.
There is a patch to Openrc to start udev after localmount but I don't knew if it still works.

As I gave up udev and friends an most of the autoblackmagic some years ago now, letting localmount mount /usr just works.

Code:
$ df -h
Filesystem                      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                       2.0G  1.2G  692M  63% /
tmpfs                            13G  228K   13G   1% /run
shm                              63G     0   63G   0% /dev/shm
cgroup_root                      10M     0   10M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs                            63G   32K   63G   1% /tmp
/dev/mapper/nvmestatic-usr      295G   32G  248G  12% /usr
/dev/mapper/nvmestatic-var      5.9G  764M  4.8G  14% /var
/dev/mapper/storage-home        2.0T  1.4T  568G  71% /home
/dev/mapper/nvmestatic-opt      2.9G  368M  2.4G  14% /opt
/dev/mapper/nvmestatic-local    926M   40K  859M   1% /usr/local
/dev/mapper/storage-distfiles   492G  286G  181G  62% /var/cache/distfiles
/dev/mapper/storage-packages    118G  6.3G  106G   6% /var/cache/binpkgs
/dev/mapper/nvmestatic-portage  2.9G  677M  2.0G  26% /var/db/repos/gentoo
/dev/shm                         63G     0   63G   0% /var/tmp/portage
192.168.100.55:/mnt/mediatomb    11T  9.1T  1.1T  90% /mnt/media

I really should have an initrd to start lvm before root in lvm is mounted but I've never gotten around to it.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
A lot of the times if you screw up one partition, it tends to mean a reinstall regardless as accounting is separated where they should be treated as a unit. All those packages you installed on Gentoo in /usr/bin or even /bin are kept in /var/db. Why (in this case) should they be kept on different partitions, if they ever differ due to a mismatched backup restore, your package accounting is no longer valid.
I don't understand the situation being described. If you don't have a tested recovery plan, then, yes, reinstalling would seem to be the only option. Wherever the data resides, if you cannot reliably restore it, then filesystem layout seems irrelevant to the problem. On the other hand, losing /var/db/ doesn't stop the system from working, so the problem is only an urgency rather than emergency. Losing /usr is far more impactful.

eccerr0r wrote:
Another thing that boggles the mind is why mysql data is by default kept in /var along with apache root webpage data... These are not system data, it's user data. Things like print spooler data make sense... Then there's the old mbox standard...this too should not technically be in /var ...
Another situation to consider for separation of data is performance related to a given workload and competing for resources. I'm sure there are situations where that doesn't matter, but there are situations where it is critical. Some things probably end up in /var due to its variable nature. But it makes more sense there than /usr. Separate mountpoints for /db/ or /app/ might be fine too. Although / seems to have gotten cluttered with the "modern" Linux implementation.

eccerr0r wrote:
In the end flexibility is there, you choose what you want to do to make your life simpler, but what's simpler may actually be more convoluted.
Flexibility is there for now, sort of. Requiring an initrd for arbitrarily requiring something be available before it is necessary is certainly convoluted.

eccerr0r wrote:
And still does not explain mysql and apache data as it has nothing to do with the base system data.
Because /var is he only location that makes sense in the then existing layout, and others aren't objectively better.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Why separated /usr partition? Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
pjp wrote:
I am on RPI4/4GB/SD root. I prefer give memory to application. but may be I should review my usage and switch tmpfs. Thanks.
It may or may not make sense to switch. I "prefer" /tmp to be a real file system, but I didn't feel like forcing the issue, so tmpfs it is. I first encountered that with Solaris and I don't recall ever having had a problem known to be related to that configuration, but using RAM as temporary disk space just sound like a Bad Idea™. It has the added benefit of automatically clearing on reboot, and since I can't point to a problem, it wasn't worth changing.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Why separated /usr partition? Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:

So, yeah, as already mentioned, /tmp is usually a tmpfs and thus separate.
And in fact it is a good idea to separate /var too. You might even go deeper: make /var/log a separate partition. On a busy server stuff there can add up pretty quickly, and you don't want it it eat up all the space.
/var/lib/<database> can become big too, and they don't really belong with the system.
/var/www mentioned earlier could be separated too, if you allow your visitors to upload data.
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
This is also why portage data should always have been in /var and not /usr
This!
I think I had /usr/share/portage on different partition at some point. Later I used symlink or bind mount to place it under /var.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
[

because /var is for VARIABLE data and hence db should go there. This is also why portage data should always have been in /var and not /usr

which is what I have :)
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other things with partitions, was that they assured that a particular set of data is kept physically in a particular area of a disk (which were rotating disks, of course).

That allowed to

1) Hope that if the disk is physically damaged, the damage will be limited only to one partition, and the rest of data can be recovered
2) Set of files within a partition are physically close, and the search between them is faster. /var on a separated partition was a good candidate for such configuration, since it may require fast random access between mailboxes, for instance
3) There were consideration where to put the most demanding partition for faster access. For instance sequential read from outer layers of a disk maybe faster than from the inner ones. I remember people (justifiably or not) putting swap at the outer sectors.
4) You can run different file systems on diffrent partitions, tuned to the use ( /var many tiny files for read and write, /usr basically read only, /home, well, your /home was probably not on your computer anyway (*) :)

I did not benchmark any of these, but this were the discussions.

(*) And, of course, Unix was geared for networked environment. X was network transparent, disks were shared via NSF. And once you start sharing, you do want partitions, since you do not want to share everything on your disk.
I remember as a postdoc at University, I had no idea where all those disks I am using are actually attached to, and what computer runs mailboxes I am reading from
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
pingtoo,
That was about the same time that "thin clients" were in fashion too.

Which I, think, is a more future looking paradigm. Basically, all those Google Docs, Word 360 are
following thin client model.
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Another thing that boggles the mind is why mysql data is by default kept in /var along with apache root webpage data...
A long long ago data storage devices were slow like a turtle. I mean the time when disks were measured rather in square meters than megabytes. The faster was a disk the more money a computer center had to pay for it. Databases always required fast access to the persistent storage. Users can wait, at least nothing bad if a user will wait, say, 0.5s for a shell prompt. But database can't wait. /var was for such fast and very expensive disks.

dmpogo wrote:
3) There were consideration where to put the most demanding partition for faster access. For instance sequential read from outer layers of a disk maybe faster than from the inner ones. I remember people (justifiably or not) putting swap at the outer sectors.
Very interesting to know what people did to improve performance of their systems. This is what I found in FreeBSD handbook, and it seems rather justifiably than not:
Quote:
By properly partitioning a system, fragmentation introduced in the smaller write heavy partitions will not bleed over into the mostly read partitions. Keeping the write loaded partitions closer to the disk’s edge will increase I/O performance in the partitions where it occurs the most. While I/O performance in the larger partitions may be needed, shifting them more toward the edge of the disk will not lead to a significant performance improvement over moving /var to the edge.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
eccerr0r wrote:
I don't understand the situation being described. If you don't have a tested recovery plan, then, yes, reinstalling would seem to be the only option. Wherever the data resides, if you cannot reliably restore it, then filesystem layout seems irrelevant to the problem. On the other hand, losing /var/db/ doesn't stop the system from working, so the problem is only an urgency rather than emergency. Losing /usr is far more impactful.
[...]

Two issues.
1.If you lose /usr, your /var/db/pkg/ becomes useless. They belong with each other. Thus they may well be on the same partition. Doesn't stop you from restoring one or the other independently of each other from backup, it doesn't add to this argument.
2. If you have your mysql and apache on /var and you lose /var, you lost significant data, say your banking transactions were in that database. Losing /usr is less impactful in this respect as you can restore from installation media, whatever it is, or this data on /var could be migrated to another box to use.
pjp wrote:
eccerr0r wrote:
Because /var is he only location that makes sense in the then existing layout, and others aren't objectively better.

It could belong in /home too in a special account for these, maybe ~mysql or ~apache and get backed up like the rest of the data. Come to think of it, do people back up /var or consider it critical data even ? I'd suspect if people knew where all their data is (they better...) then it should be of equal importance to back up.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people who backup their data would be performing an sql dump as backing up the raw relational db is going to cause consistency issues if you do not backup/restore concisely .

Likewise those that are serious about backups already consider /var as an extremely critical area ( like /home and /etc)
technotorpedo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
It Is Fatuous To Attempt To Indoctrinate A Superannuated Canine With Innovative Maneuvers.

Lmao ... Now that is a convoluted (funny as hell) way of saying, old dog .. new tricks, nice. :D

Dang it on-topic: I'm lazy, keep it very simple but it's a personal system, so doesn't matter. Comes to gnu/Linux there are so many tools, methods and possible configurations, along with usecases .. how a given admin sets up for a particular usecase could be friggin endless. Think majority still doing this and that are bound to be similar reasoning as @NeddySeagoon, it's proven, familiar to them, it works, thus why fiddle with it.

Oops, another thanks for sharing some interesting info people. :)
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an early adopter of Linux, first downloading and installing Slackware 1.0 (over a Hayes 1200 modem) with what I think were 24 720k diskettes. (Downloading and writing to those diskettes was a miracle.) Then for quite a few years I'd buy Slackware boxed sets at MicroCenter or pick up diskettes/CDs at computer/ham radio shows. Around 2000 I used Red Hat (with a GUI) from a CD bound into a book, then Mandrake, and finally Gentoo in 2004.

I was just a user. I didn't start out as a Unix system administrator, but I had been a Unix user (ordinary user) from 1985.

Throughout these experiences, primarily single-user systems, I never felt encouraged to install any system directories to separate partitions, believing that any system directories on other partitions added significant complexity for system backup and restore, which early on had to be done with disgusting regularity, often from tape. I never bought into the arguments for any separate system partitions. I still feel that way. I keep current system backups (stage4 equivalents, one zstd compressed tar archive per system directory, in total occupying about 4 GB), and I know how to use them, though I seem to seldom need them these days thanks to increased hardware reliability and operating system stability.

I do keep separate /home and another data partition, plus multiple backup partitions across different drives, but the entire OS is in /. I'm happy with this arrangement.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first install (10+ years ago) had a separate /usr because that was recommended. That worked without an intramfs until it didn't. I didn't get on with an initramfs, so now I have just a separate /home, /tmp in ram, /var/db separate for reasons that now escape me probably to do with when I had a smaller disk, /var/tmp/portage in ram and a part of /home on a separate (spinning plate type) disk for photos and video etc. cos I am a cheapskate should have got a bigger ssd (see /var/db supra). Oh and a separate /boot which is FAT32 so it works for UEFI boot (I don't have a bootloader either).

This is for a personal use desktop system.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:

I was just a user. I didn't start out as a Unix system administrator, but I had been a Unix user (ordinary user) from 1985.

Throughout these experiences, primarily single-user systems, .

That is an important point. I am also with Unix since 1985 as a user, buy lived all my early life in multiuser environment, where priorities were different.
For instance, it was considered prudent to have /usr/local as a separate partition, since it was a place for all homebrew crap, were quite a few people had write access to,
and admins were scared that they can screw the system directories. As well, /usr/local where often served over network having non-system software to be use by everybody.

Current model is very much geared to single user personal laptop/desktop paradigm.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: