View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagdpanther
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Recommended Display Manager for Enlightenment Reply with quote

Any recommendations for which display manager to use for logging into a Gentoo system where the window manager is enlightenment? I have been using xdm but on the rare occasion that I have tried to stop xdm it hangs and also freezes the keyboard.
I was looking at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Display_manager and am thinking of SLiM, SDDM, or LightDM.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think switching to a different display manager will help the problem you're seeing. Likely the keyboard stopping is due to X11 stopping without cleaning things up, which won't change with a different display manager. Might want to try different graphics drivers perhaps?
jagdpanther
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Might want to try different graphics drivers perhaps?

This issue has been going on through the last couple of stable nvidia-drivers versions. I very rarely have a reason to kill xdm. (I do notice that when shutting down or rebooting the system, that the shut down messages also states that xdm fails to stop.)

I have gotten into the habit of running 'shutdown -r +2' in a separate console window before trying to kill X or xdm in case the keyboard lock happens. (I guess I could also ssh into the system ...)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nvidia drivers really don't like switching from X11 back to text consoles. It's been broken like that as long as 10 years ago (when I stopped buying their products); presumably they aren't interested in fixing it.
jagdpanther
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
The nvidia drivers really don't like switching from X11 back to text consoles. It's been broken like that as long as 10 years ago (when I stopped buying their products); presumably they aren't interested in fixing it.

On my current system, as long as X is running (in my case: xdm: enlightenment ) there is no issue switching to a console (ex: <ctrl><alt><F2>), running some command(s) and switching back to X ( <alt><f7> ) However, if you are in a console as root and try to kill xdm ... that is when the problem occurs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: