Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to add local PAM configuration to a gentoo system.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crocket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: How to add local PAM configuration to a gentoo system. Reply with quote

Whenever a package is installed, if I execute `dispatch-conf`, files in /etc/pam.d are overwritten.

I found a way to add my own local PAM configuration to files in /etc/pam.d

With /etc/portage/env/category/package-name

Code:
pkg_preinst() {
  cat << EOF >> "${D}/etc/pam.d/program-name"
-auth optional pam_gnupg.so store-only
-session optional pam_gnupg.so
EOF
}

lines are automatically added to /etc/pam.d/program-name whenever category/program-name is installed.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to add local PAM configuration to a gentoo system. Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
Whenever a package is installed, if I execute `dispatch-conf`, files in /etc/pam.d are overwritten.

etc-update gives you the option of keeping your modified file, or selectively merge both.
crocket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to add local PAM configuration to a gentoo system. Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
etc-update gives you the option of keeping your modified file, or selectively merge both.

Are you saying that etc-update is better than dispatch-conf?
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to add local PAM configuration to a gentoo system. Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
Are you saying that etc-update is better than dispatch-conf?

I've never used dispatch-conf, so I can't compare. I do use etc-update extensively to review the diff between configuration files first, and then decide to replace, keep, or interactively merge.
crocket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, manually resolving differences is inferior to manipulating files in pkg_preinst.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the problem. dispatch-conf does not regularly write in /etc/pam.d. I run dispatch-conf carefully. Also, dispatch-conf makes backups by default, and I also have nightly backups.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
Anyway, manually resolving differences is inferior to manipulating files in pkg_preinst.
Your example appears to append the given configuration to the existing file. Have you verified that appending is the correct order of entries within the final config file? When I've looked at PAM, it seems like that would never have been the correct behavior (I claim no PAM expertise and wish it would get replaced with something sane, so my understanding of PAM config files may be insufficient).
crocket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appending lines results in the exact order that I want. I used to add lines at the end manually before I discovered /etc/portage/env trick.

I also like to know anything better than PAM. I use PAM for pam_gnupg and pam_rundir.

pam_gnupg unlocks gnupg automatically upon login.
pam_rundir creates XDG_RUNTIME_DIR upon login.

At least, PAM is less toxic than dbus and udev. dbus harms security and privacy. udev is complex and tries to drag systemd into my system.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Other than prepending or appending, it seems possibly challenging to get "correct" results with this method. When I've looked at PAM, it has generally been with regards to the order of items and their need for required, sufficient and that sort of thing.

Getting those wrong can lead to major security issues. I can't recall the specifics now, but there was some instance where a PAM configuration was pushed that allowed something along the lines of authentication without a password (or it didn't matter if it was incorrect).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: