View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbryant
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Problems with khelpcenter Reply with quote

I have a weird problem with khelpcenter.

I have been working on KDE documentation for about two years. I typically proceed by updating an "index.docbook" file (and associated images) on my local hard disk, then running "checkXML5" and "meinproc5" on the .docbook file. The first program checks XML syntax; the second one applies stylesheets to convert the XML into html.

Up until today I have been able to view the html files generated by "meinproc5" with the KDE help center program "khelpcenter". I usually invoked the "help" file viewer from the context menu in Dolphin, since that was easiest. But I could also invoke it from a terminal:

Code:
khelpcenter ~/somedirectory/index.html

This procedure doesn't work any longer, and I don't understand why.

-- On Gentoo, khelpcenter starts up, then immediately passes the requested file to Kate, the advanced text editor.

-- On Artix Linux, which I also have installed on my hard disk, something similar happens. But instead of invoking Kate, that system kicks the request into Firefox.

-- openSUSE Tumbleweed behaves just like Artix: -- helpcenter starts, then the file is passed to Firefox.

-- openSUSE LEAP still works correctly. That system is about a year behind the development curve. The three that misbehave are all "rolling" releases.

-- The problem can't be caused by khelpcenter itself. That program hasn't been updated recently. For example, on Gentoo it was last compiled on August 4, almost two months ago.

-- I suspect some "Qt" module. All three of Gentoo / Artix / Tumbleweed have recently rolled out some new Qt stuff.

-- I can use konqueror instead of khelpcenter for the time being. It's not quite the same, but it's workable. But I would like to get khelpcenter working correctly again.

As always, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: