View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: gnome-keyring can't store passwords anymore Reply with quote

So, I've been using lxde for a long while by now. It comes with gnome-keyring for storing passwords (and keys), and evolution allowed me to access a bunch of email accounts.

Until reboot last weekend.
Evolution started nagging me for passwords, so I launched seahorse to peek inside the keyring, and sure enough, the only thing inside is my ssh key and system-wide trusted ssl certificates.
There is not even a category for passwords anymore.

Now, I either have those passwords saved somewhere else or at least some way to change them, but the keyring is not supposed to just forget everything, and to make things worse I don't even know where to start fixing it. And I can't add those passwords again either.
I've tried it - those password simply do not get stored.
Also, the time between entering a directory and password prompt is quite long. Neither my email server nor 3-rd party services are supposed to be THIS slow.
Any hints and tips?

This particular installation is up-to-date ~amd64.
pste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a similar problem on my two gentoo/cinnamon boxes that also comes with gnome-keyring. For me, NetworkManager and ssh-agent (for public key access, for example with git) doesn't find passwords or keys anymore.

The problem is rather annoying as it makes it difficult to use VPN (which mainly is why I use NetworkManager). For ssh and git a workaround is to issue an "eval $(ssh-agent) in the terminal before use.

After searching for a cause/solution for a while I've come to think it has to do with a recent dev-libs/glib (not glibc) update, to 2.70.0, that is said to take care of problems with privilege elevation apparently taken advantage of by gnome-keyring. Unfortunately it seems that a downgrade of glib (and glibc) cannot be done and thus I cannot confirm my suspicion...

Thus, a gnome-keyring update seems required!

Until that happens, does anyone know if it actually is doable to downgrade glib, and if so, how?

/pste
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting evolution from terminal gives _some_ hinsts:
Code:
~ $ LANG=C evolution
(evolution:20652): e-data-server-ui-WARNING **: 19:44:31.226: credentials_prompter_store_credentials_cb: Failed to store source credentials: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.secrets: Timeout was reached

So... Some sort of a dbus error, perhaps?
I tried attaching monitor to dbus, it appears to only talk one-way. No, I'm note sure, it's not exactly my cup of tea.
JACK2 relies on dbus too though, and my sound works as ever.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update and my passwords are in the keyring again. I guess you were right about that glibc incompatibility, gnome-keyring was indeed on the upgrade's list.
pste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow response, but yes! The gnome-keyring update solved the issue for me also 8)

Although, one thing that confused me and made me think for a while that it actually wasn't solved was that at the same time as the glib upgrade, openssh was also upgraded causing my public key git connections to bitbucket stop working. It took me a while to figure out, but that was related to bitbucket not being as up to date with ssh security as Gentoo 8O which is a completely different story ...

Glad to see it worked for you as well!

/pste

PS. Why don't you mark the topic as solved :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: