View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qsmodo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: [Bug reported] Gvim (Athena toolkit): Cannot type accents Reply with quote

I have Gvim with only acl, lua_single_target_lua5-1 and python_single_target_python3_9 USE flags enabled. This gives me a basic Athena GUI, which is the best and smallest.

Now, I can launch it but it complains

Code:
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

And I can't type any accented character in it. Given

Code:
echo áéíü > accents
gvim -u NONE accents

Gvim opens and displays the accented characters correctly. However, if I try to type any such character, another one appears. E.g., é gives me Ã. However, I can paste é from clipboard normally. :?

To add up to the mystery, the menu bar dropdowns display only squared boxes and no proper characters.

If I try

Code:
LC_ALL=C gvim -u NONE accents

then the menu is OK (I see File, Edit, Tools, etc. properly), but the text is shown as áéíü.

Code:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I have read some related posts but all I get is no solution or dead links.

Any help is welcome. I really don't want to switch to GTK.

Last edited by qsmodo on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
qsmodo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built Vim from upstream and the problem goes away. Bug reported.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you build vim from upstream?

Is there a difference in the configure command you used and the configure command that was issued by emerge?

EDIT: thanks for opening https://bugs.gentoo.org/814518
qsmodo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cloned github.com/vim/vim.git and compiled it with --enable-gui=athena. Then I remembered about the 9999 version and now I am using it instead.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of mike155's question was to rule out any variance caused by build parameters. To that end, it would help to know not just that you set --enable-gui=athena, but exact steps for one of us to run to reproduce what you did. Regarding the live ebuild you switched to, what commit did it pull? Does it exhibit the good behavior or the bad behavior? Can you tell whether the issue is that upstream has an unreleased fix, versus a difference in how Gentoo builds the live versus non-live builds?
qsmodo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hu, this is the most precise I can get:

Option 1 that exhibits good behavior:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/vim/vim.git
cd vim
./configure --enable-gui-athena
make

Option 2 that exhibits good behavior:

/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords:

=app-editors/gvim-9999 **
    =app-editors/vim-core-9999 **

Then emerge gvim (with the same set of USE flags of course).

Quote:
what commit did it pull?

I don't know how to find that, sorry.

Quote:
Can you tell whether the issue is that upstream has an unreleased fix, versus a difference in how Gentoo builds the live versus non-live builds?

I can try:

Code:
$ cd /var/db/repos/gentoo/app-editors/gvim
$ diff gvim-8.2.0814-r100.ebuild gvim-9999.ebuild
20c20
<       KEYWORDS="~alpha amd64 arm arm64 ~hppa ~ia64 ppc ppc64 ~s390 sparc x86 ~amd64-linux ~x86-linux ~ppc-macos ~x86-solaris"
---
>       KEYWORDS="~alpha ~amd64 ~arm ~arm64 ~hppa ~ia64 ~ppc ~ppc64 ~sparc ~x86 ~amd64-linux ~x86-linux ~ppc-macos ~x86-solaris"

So since that is the only different line between the ebuilds, probably the former hypotesis is true.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qsmodo wrote:
Hu wrote:
what commit did it pull?
I don't know how to find that, sorry.
It should be shown in the output of the live ebuild, generated as part of being a git live ebuild. Check the first 20 lines or so of the build.log.
qsmodo wrote:
Hu wrote:
Can you tell whether the issue is that upstream has an unreleased fix, versus a difference in how Gentoo builds the live versus non-live builds?
I can try:
Code:
$ cd /var/db/repos/gentoo/app-editors/gvim
$ diff gvim-8.2.0814-r100.ebuild gvim-9999.ebuild
20c20
<       KEYWORDS="~alpha amd64 arm arm64 ~hppa ~ia64 ppc ppc64 ~s390 sparc x86 ~amd64-linux ~x86-linux ~ppc-macos ~x86-solaris"
---
>       KEYWORDS="~alpha ~amd64 ~arm ~arm64 ~hppa ~ia64 ~ppc ~ppc64 ~sparc ~x86 ~amd64-linux ~x86-linux ~ppc-macos ~x86-solaris"
As an unrelated point, diff -u produces output that, in my opinion, looks better for this sort of comparison.
qsmodo wrote:
So since that is the only different line between the ebuilds, probably the former hypotesis is true.
Probably. However, the Gentoo ebuild also includes this block in both the live and non-live ebuilds:
Code:
    if [[ ${PV} != 9999* ]]; then
        # Gentoo patches to fix runtime issues, cross-compile errors, etc
        eapply "${WORKDIR}"/patches/
    fi
Despite being in the live ebuild, it will be inactive there, due to the version number check. Thus, it is possible, albeit unlikely, that the problem is a Gentoo patch. After manually reviewing the 7 patches that Gentoo applies to non-live ebuilds, I believe none of them are relevant to your problem.
  • 001_all_vim-6.3-xorg-75816.patch - adjusts syntax highlighting rules for XFree86; added for bug 75816.
  • 002_all_vim-7.3-apache-83565.patch - adjusts when Apache syntax highlighting is enabled; added for bug 83565
  • 003_all_vim-7.0-automake-substitutions-93378.patch - adjusts automake syntax highlighting; no bug given.
  • 004_all_vim-7.0-grub-splash-96155.patch - adjusts grub syntax highlighting; no bug given.
  • 005_all_vim_7.1-ada-default-compiler.patch - adjusts Ada syntax highlighting; no bug given.
  • 006-vim-8.0.0617-crosscompile.patch - bypasses a test that fails cross-compilation; appears to be termcap related; added for bug 473372.
  • 007-vim-8.2.0210-python3-shared-lib.patch - adjusts linking of Python support; added for bug 669306
None of that looks relevant to accents / UTF-8 support, so I would tend to agree that it is an upstream fix that was made after that last release.

Your next challenge is to either find the specific upstream commit that fixed it, which you can then request that Gentoo backport, or convince upstream to issue a release that Gentoo can update to.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: