Is Wine dead?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Is Wine dead? Reply with quote

Hi all,

To use windows based program (ZWCAD if some one is interested)
I was trying to install Wine. Unfortunately I have not found a way how
to setup it properly. There are 2 versions of program of interest 32 and 64 bit.

It seems like 64-bit Wine is not working at all. At least it can't work w/o 32 counterpart.
I had to move 64-bit only system to multilib, which I hate.
Then I played with 32-bit only version of Wine.

I've tried the latest 6.17 version of Wine and 6.0.1 which is marked as stable, but actually broken
as it is stated during the installation, because mono (.NET) and other components are not
functional after 5.18 till 6.6 version of Wine which is NOT available in portage.

I have installed wine-mono, which is recommended, but winetricks/wine cannot find
it during the installation of .NET

By some miracle wine-mono is installed into /usr/share/wine/...
while wine itself installed to /usr/share/wine-vanilla-6.17/...

I've made /usr/share/wine to be the soft link of versioned install.
Then winetricks still cannot find mono, but .NET can be installed.

Wine has multiple USE flags and I usually tend to use as less as possible of them,
but wine became non functional at all if not using certain USE flags.

Why those aren't removed and hard dependency/options used instead?

I see other people reporting the same problems I do have as well.
But there is no solution. Something is always missing and something is always not working.

Last time I touched Wine at version 0.9something. It was actually better, than now.

Version number has changed a lot, but functionality degraded almost to zero. Well I still can run Notepad... wow.

My question is simple.
Any one is aware of really working wine version something like wine 5 or earlier
and are there step by step procedure to make it functional? Is it possible at all?

Also may be some one knows about mandatory USE flags to make it work?
For example I don't need any sound support for wine, therefore it all has been
disabled in my case, but because of some miracle wine might not work w/o alsa or gstream

Anyway at present wine itself is on garbage level of functionality.

P.S. Please, don't consider I blame Portage for that issue. Nope. It is solely Wine itself related issue.
I have also built wine from sources myself. There are no differences. Garbage is garbage.

P.P.S. I read in that forum about some tricks how to make this or that, but have not found
a complete set of steps to make it work.

P.P.P.S. I have tried ReactOS inside of VM, but that is also NOGO solution. Seems like one need
real Windows, which I am not really willing to use.
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is Wine dead? Reply with quote

I saw on that forum, that some suggest to use Wine from Fedora or other Distros.

What is the reason for that? What is different there? Why the same config cannot
be used with ebuild?

Obviously I cannot check all the Wine versions and not all kind of binary versions
other Distros are using. That is too much work.

Windows VM based solution works, but that is too slow for any reasonable CAD
use.

P.S. If there would be Linux based CAD, than all that nightmare won't happen. Uhh.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Short answer: I think no. :]

There's a lot of questions here, I'll try to answer at least some of them (best I can).

lefsha wrote:
Hi all,

To use windows based program (ZWCAD if some one is interested)
I was trying to install Wine. Unfortunately I have not found a way how
to setup it properly. There are 2 versions of program of interest 32 and 64 bit.

It seems like 64-bit Wine is not working at all. At least it can't work w/o 32 counterpart.
I had to move 64-bit only system to multilib, which I hate.
Then I played with 32-bit only version of Wine.

A 64-bit only build should work, but it will run only 64-bit programs.

Note that even if a Windows application is 64-bit, the installer for it may still require 32-bit support.

Quote:
I've tried the latest 6.17 version of Wine and 6.0.1 which is marked as stable, but actually broken
as it is stated during the installation, because mono (.NET) and other components are not
functional after 5.18 till 6.6 version of Wine which is NOT available in portage.

The latest version (6.17) is more recent than 6.6 (which is still available via the Wine overlay, if you wanted to play with old versions such as this one).

Quote:
I have installed wine-mono, which is recommended, but winetricks/wine cannot find
it during the installation of .NET

By some miracle wine-mono is installed into /usr/share/wine/...
while wine itself installed to /usr/share/wine-vanilla-6.17/...

I've made /usr/share/wine to be the soft link of versioned install.
Then winetricks still cannot find mono, but .NET can be installed.

I'm not sure what to make of this one. Mono is an open-source alternative to .NET. They're not something that work together.

Quote:
Wine has multiple USE flags and I usually tend to use as less as possible of them,
but wine became non functional at all if not using certain USE flags.

Why those aren't removed and hard dependency/options used instead?

What flags exactly? What problems are you seeing?

What you need to enable depends mainly on what you want to run with Wine, but I don't know of any combination of flags that would make Wine "non functional".

Quote:
My question is simple.
Any one is aware of really working wine version something like wine 5 or earlier
and are there step by step procedure to make it functional? Is it possible at all?

I believe every version still available via the Wine overlay are functional to me (versions from 4.0 to 6.17 and 9999 at the time of typing).

The steps I usually take are as follows:

1. Use 'emerge' to build and install the version I want with the USE-flags I want.

Quote:
Also may be some one knows about mandatory USE flags to make it work?
For example I don't need any sound support for wine, therefore it all has been
disabled in my case, but because of some miracle wine might not work w/o alsa or gstream

Again, this depends about 100% on what you want to do with Wine.

I can easily imagine Windows software to require sound support even if it never produces a beep, and that it might not run at all if it can't find that support.

Quote:
I saw on that forum, that some suggest to use Wine from Fedora or other Distros.

What is the reason for that? What is different there? Why the same config cannot
be used with ebuild?

What is "that forum"?

I don't know why anyone would suggest that, but everyone are of course free to do what they like. I don't know what is different there, but most likely they provide something similar to what we do with all USE-flags enabled.

Quote:
P.S. If there would be Linux based CAD, than all that nightmare won't happen. Uhh.

Something like 'media-gfx/freecad'?

In any case, we will need more information on the specific problems to be able to help with them, if you're willing to work towards solving them.
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
A 64-bit only build should work, but it will run only 64-bit programs.
Note that even if a Windows application is 64-bit, the installer for it may still require 32-bit support.

I still can read manual. So as I said Wine-64 is not feasible.

Chiitoo wrote:
The latest version (6.17) is more recent than 6.6 (which is still available via the Wine overlay, if you wanted to play with old versions such as this one).

Why is that? If I am not mistaken 6.6 > 6.17...

Chiitoo wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of this one. Mono is an open-source alternative to .NET. They're not something that work together.

Aah... Above I was thinking I am trolling you. Now I clearly see - you are trolling me...

Chiitoo wrote:
What is "that forum"?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-152597-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html

Chiitoo wrote:

Freecad has a huge problem. It cannot open DWG files. Solving that issue will bring it to another level.
If you work independently (which almost impossible) you may use FreeCAD. Once you start exchange
the documents it's NOGO. Not anything else than MS Office and OpenOffice/Libreoffice.

Once Libreoffice was able to open/save DOC(X) files it became more popular. Although there is no
100% compatibility.

Chiitoo wrote:
In any case, we will need more information on the specific problems to be able to help with them, if you're willing to work towards solving them.

Thanks for that. But first we should be on the same page, when we discuss something.
I have already came back from places you wish me to go.

P.S. I guess I give up on Wine. Bricscad seems to be a good native replacement.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:

Why is that? If I am not mistaken 6.6 > 6.17...

Indeed, there is 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 6.10, 6.11, 6.12, 6.13, 6.14, 6.15, and 6.16 before 6.17.

Quote:
Chiitoo wrote:

Aah... Above I was thinking I am trolling you. Now I clearly see - you are trolling me...

What do you mean? I most certainly am not, or if I am, I will ban myself. Promise.

Actually, I'll go as far as to delete my user account and all my posts from the database if I am indeed intentionally trolling you. I'm here only to try and understand this issue and help as much as I can.

I'm part of the Gentoo Wine project that maintains the Wine ebuilds, so this is kind of important to me.

Quote:
Chiitoo wrote:
What is "that forum"?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-152597-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html

It seems that discussion is from 2004-2005. I would not recommend using that as guidance for today.

Quote:
Chiitoo wrote:

Freecad has a huge problem. It cannot open DWG files. Solving that issue will bring it to another level.
If you work independently (which almost impossible) you may use FreeCAD. Once you start exchange
the documents it's NOGO. Not anything else than MS Office and OpenOffice/Libreoffice.

Once Libreoffice was able to open/save DOC(X) files it became more popular. Although there is no
100% compatibility.

I see. Yeah, I have not used this software, I just know it's there, but I can indeed imagine that being an issue.

Quote:
P.S. I guess I give up on Wine. Bricscad seems to be a good native replacement.

Good thing you found a good replacement!
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo, frankly I don't know how to talk to you.

I tend to talk directly and say what I mean, but that can harm other people.
People will feel upset or angry. I don't want that to happen.

I can only say, that you are young. May be that is the reason why I read what you write.
With the time you will think differently.

If I may give you a suggestion - take things less personally. We were discussing wine and not us.

In my initial message I have mentioned, that the problem is unrelated to Gentoo ebuild.

My only concern about ebuild is to have sometimes optional features, which are mandatory
in practice and vice versa. Way too often many dependencies are optional, but they are optional
and not desired sometimes. Again, that is not about wine. It's a general view.

Quite often some packages require to enable certain USE flags to make any practical use.
There are at least 2 stages. A program can get compiled and program can be really used.

Compiling nginx web server one can easily w/o ssl support. But practical use w/o ssl support
is not likely.

Quite often if not always you may see kernel config is telling you - keep it ON/ENABLED
if you don't know what to do.

Wine for example should have USE=xml enabled, otherwise moving forward with something
won't be possible.

In one of the threads here you may see, that people based on experience claim, that USE=mingw
has to be also enabled to make something working.

Something is obvious. An issue with libxml can be fixed if USE=xml. That is trivial to understand.
USE=mingw is much less trivial. And so on.

Not necessary wine ebuild has to have all or some flags enabled. It's enough to have wiki page,
where stated - if you don't want to spend hours to solve issues simply enable USE flags A, B and C.

Some of them you may not need, but those wont harm you. But if you don't enable them,
do not wonder having issues.

For example USE=mono MUST be enabled for wine to work, because 99% of Windows applications
are depending on .NET

Having that USE flag not enabled is looking for troubles. That is not stated in:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wine

I am expecting if reading that wiki and do installation accordingly the basic functionality of a program should work.
It doesn't.

The package which I meant in the first message is wine-mono. It has been installed due to USE=mono.

But if you try to install .NET you will get this message: "Mono does not appear to be installed"
A lot of people on internet asking about that issue. There are thousands of similar issues on the way to run a certain application.

One just need to install wine and see many - fixme and error messages.
There is no straight simple way to get rid of them.

I can't read some DOCU and do things right. That option is not given, not provided.

And here again, it has nothing to do with Gentoo. At least from my perspective.
I tried source code and compiled wine independently from Gentoo. No difference.

I remember loong ago using wine 0.9X and was able to run MS Office, without big problems.
Now I have even failed to install .NET which is provided from winetricks.
I had to play a lot with configs, settings to be able to install .NET
Took me 2-3 days! I am not willing to spend that much time. for that.

That is a clear fail from wine. I don't know who is responsible. I just see the version number
went that high, but things got worse, than they were earlier.

Spending weeks just to run a certain program is a misconception. Therefore wine is dead for me.

Wine and Windows VM need caused by absence pretty important part of applications
not existing under linux. VM works, but quite often too slow.

As of wine and Gentoo it will be great to have a binary package, which just works.
It's not compiling time issue. It's integration issue.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha wrote:
Chiitoo, frankly I don't know how to talk to you.

I tend to talk directly and say what I mean, but that can harm other people.
People will feel upset or angry. I don't want that to happen.

I can only say, that you are young. May be that is the reason why I read what you write.

With the time you will think differently.

If I may give you a suggestion - take things less personally. We were discussing wine and not us.

I'm sorry if I somehow made it look like I took anything about this personally.

I did not.

Quote:
In my initial message I have mentioned, that the problem is unrelated to Gentoo ebuild.

That's also fine. I try to help with Wine upstream as much as I can, so I like to know about any issues with it.

Quote:
My only concern about ebuild is to have sometimes optional features, which are mandatory
in practice and vice versa. Way too often many dependencies are optional, but they are optional
and not desired sometimes. Again, that is not about wine. It's a general view.

If something was mandatory for all use, it would not be a USE-flag.

If something doesn't work as expected without a certain flag enabled, that would be a bug that we can fix.

Quote:
Wine for example should have USE=xml enabled, otherwise moving forward with something
won't be possible.

This is the first time I see anyone mention that 'xml' is /that/ important (it's by enabled by default, by the by).

Quote:
In one of the threads here you may see, that people based on experience claim, that USE=mingw
has to be also enabled to make something working.

Something is obvious. An issue with libxml can be fixed if USE=xml. That is trivial to understand.
USE=mingw is much less trivial. And so on.

Yes, this requirement has become common recently, and builds without MinGW are being less and less tested upstream and elsewhere.

We do want to make this transition of sorts less troublesome than what it is right now.

Quote:
Not necessary wine ebuild has to have all or some flags enabled. It's enough to have wiki page,
where stated - if you don't want to spend hours to solve issues simply enable USE flags A, B and C.

We can't take into consideration all the different situations users might run into with something like this.

The wiki article would grow up into a huge mess if we added everything we know about different Windows requirements.

Quote:
For example USE=mono MUST be enabled for wine to work, because 99% of Windows applications
are depending on .NET

The mono flag is actually enabled by default (+mono).

Quote:
I am expecting if reading that wiki and do installation accordingly the basic functionality of a program should work.
It doesn't.

The ways Wine is used is way too wide to provide a "one build fits all" solution.

We have some flags enabled by default (like 'mono' and 'xml') to try and give a somewhat general experience with it, but it can never be perfect.

Quote:
The package which I meant in the first message is wine-mono. It has been installed due to USE=mono.

But if you try to install .NET you will get this message: "Mono does not appear to be installed"
A lot of people on internet asking about that issue. There are thousands of similar issues on the way to run a certain application.

I don't remember ever seeing this before, but I'll try to test it out.

Quote:
One just need to install wine and see many - fixme and error messages.
There is no straight simple way to get rid of them.

WINEDEBUG="fixme-all"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: