View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslantis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Invisible mouse cursor in X Reply with quote

Hello everyone, hope you're doing well today. I just got X working on a new gentoo install on a ps4. Mesa and libdrm required patches to find the gpu. And using a customized kernel built for better support on the ps4. Anyways, wayland always caused an immediate crash (KDE and sway), and stock KDE could only display the loading screen and the lock screen. The latter didn't matter much to me cause I like running i3 in KDE, which solved KDE's problems (at least with X, wayland still crashes). One problem, it seemed to be working fine but I had no mouse cursor. I emerged and ran KDE's settings app to try changing the cursor theme, but still no difference.
Upon further testing, a cursor appears in steam big picture mode and terraria, but otherwise the cursor is still invisible. Does anyone know what might be the problem? I'm thinking maybe drivers? I know there were patches for xf86-video-amdgpu for the ps4 but they're so old none of them work anymore, so I'm using that unpatched.

Thanks very much for your time

https://github.com/paranoidbashthot/mesagit-ps4patches patches for mesa and libdrm
https://github.com/ps4gentoo/ps4-kernel kernel I'm using
https://github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-radeon-patches original patch for xf86-video-amdgpu (the one for ATI patched, compiled, and installed fine)
Aslantis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody, I have found a solution. What was not working was the hardware cursor. Whether it is due to lack of support from the GPU, or from video drivers (probably amdgpu in my case) I do not know. But, the solution (at least for X) is to add an arbitrarily named file (ending with .conf) in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d with these contents:

Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "graphicsdriver"
  Driver "amdgpu"
  Option "SWCursor" "true"
EndSection

replace amdgpu with the name of your graphics driver. This will tell X to use a software cursor instead of hardware, which does seem more jittery and less performant, but is better than none. Feel free to comment if you've found a better solution. If you use wayland, it will be different for every compositor. However, I know this is the solution for sway/wlroots

Code:
$ export WLR_NO_HARDWARE_CURSORS=1

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: